Beefalo

sandhiller

This is just kinda creepy.

Local rancher took it, youngest son sent it to me.

Don't know any story other than it is a Hereford cross.

Kinda remember beefalo was a thing a bunch of years back but had no interest so didn't learn anything about them.

If I was out riding and saw this come up out of my Medicine Creek canyon, I would break the bottle of whatever I wuz drinkin.

No offense to the the beefalo growers of America but this just looks like it goes against the laws of nature.

IMG_20210720_154231.thumb.jpg.5e46d0ae4b62e447fd5b73018b77e004.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

This is just kinda creepy.

Local rancher took it, youngest son sent it to me.

Don't know any story other than it is a Hereford cross.

Kinda remember beefalo was a thing a bunch of years back but had no interest so didn't learn anything about them.

If I was out riding and saw this come up out of my Medicine Creek canyon, I would break the bottle of whatever I wuz drinkin.

No offense to the the beefalo growers of America but this just looks like it goes against the laws of nature.

IMG_20210720_154231.thumb.jpg.5e46d0ae4b62e447fd5b73018b77e004.jpg

..looks kind of weird allright....

...should I send you a picture of our "Talking Mule "' ......our glorious leader.......(this in respect of the laws of nature ...)...:rolleyes:

Mike

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, mike newman said:

..looks kind of weird allright....

...should I send you a picture of our "Talking Mule "' ......our glorious leader.......(this in respect of the laws of nature ...)...:rolleyes:

Mike

Strange times to be alive Mike

• Like 1

I looked into raising bison back when I was in school. Found out how much fence they could tear up and decided no. Saw some beefalo about the same time looked more beef than the one you got picture of.  Maybe 3/4?  Either way your correct, that just don’t look right

• Like 1

Volunteered to do a summer stint at another building they needed help with for work that had an environmental and agricultural focus in the 90’s, in the middle of a city of a million that had some large pens out back. Looking in them one day that had deer and then looked a bit closer and this buck was a cross between mule and whitetail, not as freakish as that though.

• Like 1

There was 1 that looked a lot like that out at Fort Robinson. He has been dead for years, but they still have a few pictures of him and his skull is on display somewhere out there. Maybe in the shop, can’t remember for sure. 
Buffalo won’t tear up anymore fence than some of the beef breeds that were tried in the early 70s, when all we were after were numbers and didn’t cull for disposition. Salers and the first bunch of Limousine come to mind with Pidmonties right up there. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

There was 1 that looked a lot like that out at Fort Robinson. He has been dead for years, but they still have a few pictures of him and his skull is on display somewhere out there. Maybe in the shop, can’t remember for sure. 
Buffalo won’t tear up anymore fence than some of the beef breeds that were tried in the early 70s, when all we were after were numbers and didn’t cull for disposition. Salers and the first bunch of Limousine come to mind with Pidmonties right up there. 

I worked for a guy with those limousine, they were dangerous to work around and would leap like deer, tore up every loading chute we had and then some, pain in the but to tag/vaccinate calves in the field and preg test/dehorn etc.......

I hope I never see another

Never liked the taste of buffalo that I had, tried it a couple times - pass...........and yes even mixed with beef 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

I worked for a guy with those limousine, they were dangerous to work around and would leap like deer, tore up every loading chute we had and then some, pain in the but to tag/vaccinate calves in the field and preg test/dehorn etc.......

I hope I never see another

Never liked the taste of buffalo that I had, tried it a couple times - pass...........and yes even mixed with beef 

I have been around more modern day Limmy cattle and they are nice to handle. Early on we saved everything for the numbers. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

I have been around more modern day Limmy cattle and they are nice to handle. Early on we saved everything for the numbers. 

the ones i worked with were back in the late 70s early 80s, they were tall/leggy/lanky like a holestine/charolais mean suckers too, took 2 or 3 of use to keep them off a bawling calf doing the pasture tag/vaccine at birth

• Like 2

@mjcolemn

local guy grows them (or used to anyway, not sure anymore) used to see it on restaurants menus all over locally. Makes one heck of a burger i tell ya. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Buffalo won’t tear up anymore fence than some of the beef breeds that were tried in the early 70s

Talkin to some of the boys on the Turner ranches.

Once the buffalo are trained to the electric fences, they don't even turn them on. 

They say they have more trouble with neighbors cows crawling in then buffalo getting out. 

It will be interesting when the tribe ramps up on Mustang Meadows. 

I think they have 40 or 50 there now on their way to maybe 1500???

Imagine Turner has a lot better fences than they will. 

Glad I don't border that deal. ?

11 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Talkin to some of the boys on the Turner ranches.

Once the buffalo are trained to the electric fences, they don't even turn them on. 

They say they have more trouble with neighbors cows crawling in then buffalo getting out. 

It will be interesting when the tribe ramps up on Mustang Meadows. 

I think they have 40 or 50 there now on their way to maybe 1500???

Imagine Turner has a lot better fences than they will. 

Glad I don't border that deal. ?

Unless the fences have improved since I was out there, I am thinking most of the neighbors will be eating buffalo!! Once they learn how to get out, it’s a mess!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Unless the fences have improved since I was out there, I am thinking most of the neighbors will be eating buffalo!! Once they learn how to get out, it’s a mess!!

The last time they tried, maybe two or three years ago, they scattered like the four winds and the neighbors had to clean it up.

I think they have learned a few things but time will tell. 

Can't imagine they would the spend the kind of money it will take to do it up right. 

13 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

The last time they tried, maybe two or three years ago, they scattered like the four winds and the neighbors had to clean it up.

I think they have learned a few things but time will tell. 

Can't imagine they would the spend the kind of money it will take to do it up right. 

Between the buffs, the elk and the so called wild horses that get dumped up there, I can only imagine leasing the land. 
I never knew the place when it was at its glory, but it had to have been beautiful!! Last time I was out there, they were talking about burning the big house down. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Between the buffs, the elk and the so called wild horses that get dumped up there, I can only imagine leasing the land. 
I never knew the place when it was at its glory, but it had to have been beautiful!! Last time I was out there, they were talking about burning the big house down. 

In it's hay day it was a show place. (so I am told)

Every person that has leased it has taken from it without putting anything back. 

The big barn was full of "long time dead" cows last time we went to a fire out there. Not sure of that story.

The house is pretty well gone. 

Sadly not much left of it's former glory. 

I wish I could have seen it in it's better days. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

@mjcolemn

local guy grows them (or used to anyway, not sure anymore) used to see it on restaurants menus all over locally. Makes one heck of a burger i tell ya. 

East Hill Bison in Townshend used to be in restaurants, supposed to be a pretty lean meat. He had a pretty extensive and hot fence to keep them in.

5 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

@mjcolemn

3 hours ago, mjcolemn said:

East Hill Bison in Townshend used to be in restaurants, supposed to be a pretty lean meat. He had a pretty extensive and hot fence to keep them in.

I didn’t realize there was still someone in Vt growing them?

Perry’s Restaurant Group used to grow them in Charlotte. They said that they would only come back to a girl that used to take care of them, if she wasn’t around forget about corralling them up! 
I can’t remember if Casey’s gravel pit in Hinesburg raised beefalo or Elk? I think it was Elk

18 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

I didn’t realize there was still someone in Vt growing them?

Perry’s Restaurant Group used to grow them in Charlotte. They said that they would only come back to a girl that used to take care of them, if she wasn’t around forget about corralling them up! 
I can’t remember if Casey’s gravel pit in Hinesburg raised beefalo or Elk? I think it was Elk

The guy passed away and I'm not sure where they ended up, I know they're not around here anymore. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, messer9696 said:

You must be in that Fawn Lake region. Or is that too far West of you, Jeff?

Fawn Lake is about 50 miles SW of me

My youngest is pretty close though. 

My wife is taking care of a hospice patient not far from the headquarters. 

Pretty big country. 

Ever travel that country Clay?

23 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Fawn Lake is about 50 miles SW of me

My youngest is pretty close though. 

My wife is taking care of a hospice patient not far from the headquarters. 

Pretty big country. 

Ever travel that country Clay?

Fair amount of time around Fawn Lake. Not much North of there though and nothing East of 61.

• Like 1