Another use for suitcase weights..

Went on a solo canoe trip this evening. Water is out and I thought I’d see what things looked like. Went down the normally shallow creek and headed back. Taking a break now. Lots of crops gone... Needed a good counterweight up front for a solo run. 

0A8B9909-69B9-4646-BF86-CB0BC062230E.jpeg

333DF51A-EC8D-4AA7-87F9-57CB26903792.jpeg

• Like 9

man what a drag, our water has receded so back to dragging implement vs boat wont know teh full extent till harvest praying for the best with you 

4 minutes ago, TN Hillbilly said:

Whatever you do, don't hang them off the front of your canoe or you'll break the front axle!

I wondered when that would come up...?

I just wanted a little adventure. Wife and boy had plans. I’ve been part way down this creek but never this far. Too bad I didn’t start this morning. Had to many real jobs that needed done. Back to work tomorrow.

Back in December of 2019 I had the canoe on this creek to get a friends trail camera out with water rising fast. It was roaring that day. He had very little experience and rolled us. We got swept down stream 75yds or so into a sweeper log. That wasn’t much fun in 40-45° water. Had to get someone with a boat to come get us. Found the canoe 2 weeks later....

Didn’t take long...

Looks like it has exceeded its banks, nice peaceful day, great idea on the weights 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, TN Hillbilly said:

Whatever you do, don't hang them off the front of your canoe or you'll break the front axle!

that is the funniest Thing I’ve read all week!! 
What a ????!!!!

• Haha 2

Around here those weights could be part of an investment portfolio if you watch what they bring at auctions

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bitty said:

Around here those weights could be part of an investment portfolio if you watch what they bring at auctions

I used one of the “Rowe Foundry” 100lb units.  I needed something or it would have been like riding a wheelie down the creek. Normally riding solo in a canoe you can just spin it around and sit in the front seat but the supports don’t allow it on this one. 

1 minute ago, Wes806 said:

When I read the title and then seen canoe thought oh no he's trying to submerge it.

Yep , nobody tried to claim Sledge was very swift. He took his last canoe on a trip with a few weights and all the guns he used to have and he lost them all in a boating accident ..... 

;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bitty said:

all the guns he used to have and he lost them all in a boating accident ..... 

All mine fell off of mower or tractor while bush hogging and got chopped up.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Wes806 said:

When I read the title and then seen canoe thought oh no he's trying to submerge it.

No no no. Been there, done that, no thank you ?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bitty said:

Yep , nobody tried to claim Sledge was very swift. He took his last canoe on a trip with a few weights and all the guns he used to have and he lost them all in a boating accident ..... 

;)

And then the gar ate them I’m pretty sure....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, vtfireman85 said:

Better tie that in ! 

I'd suggest that and a life jacket for the weight 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bitty said:

I told Todd that cinder blocks are cheaper, that way if he tips, Nash isn’t out part of his inheritance!! lol ? 

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I wondered when that would come up...?

I just wanted a little adventure. Wife and boy had plans. I’ve been part way down this creek but never this far. Too bad I didn’t start this morning. Had to many real jobs that needed done. Back to work tomorrow.

Back in December of 2019 I had the canoe on this creek to get a friends trail camera out with water rising fast. It was roaring that day. He had very little experience and rolled us. We got swept down stream 75yds or so into a sweeper log. That wasn’t much fun in 40-45° water. Had to get someone with a boat to come get us. Found the canoe 2 weeks later....

Glad you survived that. Been more than one in similar circumstances that didn't. Water that cold doesn't play around.

10 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Glad you survived that. Been more than one in similar circumstances that didn't. Water that cold doesn't play around.

Yeah. You could normally find spots in that creek to walk across and bot get wet. The canoe is 14’ long and pivoted on end under me when we washed into the sweeper log. I grabbed it when it popped up on the other side but couldn’t hold that and myself. Decided I didn’t want to drown and tossed the canoe. Water ripped off one boot. I climbed up on the log (buddy got on there before me) and then the spiders came out of the log....   If we didn’t have 5000 spiders on us we didn’t have 2. Phones still worked so we called and had a mud boat come get us. Boat got there in 27 minutes. All told I walked in the house and had been wet for probably 1.5hrs. I never got cold until I was at my buddy’s house waiting for him to get out of the shower to see he was ok before I went home. After that I was cold for two days. Adrenaline kept me from sleeping much either. 

3 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Yeah. You could normally find spots in that creek to walk across and bot get wet. The canoe is 14’ long and pivoted on end under me when we washed into the sweeper log. I grabbed it when it popped up on the other side but couldn’t hold that and myself. Decided I didn’t want to drown and tossed the canoe. Water ripped off one boot. I climbed up on the log (buddy got on there before me) and then the spiders came out of the log....   If we didn’t have 5000 spiders on us we didn’t have 2. Phones still worked so we called and had a mud boat come get us. Boat got there in 27 minutes. All told I walked in the house and had been wet for probably 1.5hrs. I never got cold until I was at my buddy’s house waiting for him to get out of the shower to see he was ok before I went home. After that I was cold for two days. Adrenaline kept me from sleeping much either. 

Going to have to call you Indianahammerjones after this?  Just glad you made it, that's some scary stuff right there.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Going to have to call you Indianahammerjones after this?  Just glad you made it, that's some scary stuff right there.

We actually made a plan on how to get across and weren’t messing around or anything. I just didn’t expect the other guy to do what he did. I hear him say “Oh S—t!” about the time my head went underwater. Gave me a new respect for what I was doing which never hurts. That day between the adrenaline and all I just got mad and told myself as long as I stayed mad I wouldn’t get cold. Kept moving, and stayed mad. I walked almost a 1/4 mile with one boot on in water over my knees to get to the pickup. Movement builds heat and heat fights cold so just keep moving at an angry pace. (Best I could come up with at the time) ?

I used to deal with a cast iron foundry that's major money-maker was their "boat anchor", all the castings they made for me had so much porosity, voids, internal shrink, etc. I  have to wonder how good their private label anchors were, they HAD to float!

• Haha 2