Pickups, LB versus SB

Farmall1066

I’m looking at Ford F350’s, MN is crazy with license on the 3/4 tons, and I don’t need a crew cab, but that’s what I have now, and love the room, so I’m looking at crew cabs again.  

fwiw, i have had both long/short, only fords, straight cab, super cab, crew cabs, have to say my fav would be the Crew, bed.......well if i was hauling a largefuel tank i would want a LB, last 2 i have ahd were SB - I havent once wanted a LB but yes they do ride better. My F350 rides like a lumber wagon compared to my 250 from 03. This one is a 16 with the 6.7. 

I bought it a yr ago sept used. maybe you read about my views of it on here so far. 

They made significant updates/electronic changes in 17, they came out with Gen3 of the 6.7 in 20. 

I have a GN hitch in the bed and love that. Had it on my 03 too. I dont usually run into bed space issues and if I do i just drop the tailgate and strap things down anyway. 

for a fuel tank i use the FREE plastic barrels from the car wash i can get them all day whatever size i want. I roll up my bed cover, ratchet strap a couple of them in the corner adn I have a portable battery powered pump i drop in those barrels adn pump right into the tractors. Dont have to deal with losing bed space adn those things are light enough I can send dad or my wife to town for fuel. 

never have to worry about algae/slime in my tank or moisture because I can see in them I get the semi clear ones. 

just me and my simple way of doing things and cheap/resourcefulness 

i couldnt fit a LB in my garage either with my trash cans in front of the truck ?

• Like 1

I’ve had both, I would prefer a SB and honestly they look better are easier to maneuver in parking lots and react faster when backing up trailers but the last 15 years have all been long boxes on just working better for the work I need them to do, they are way harder to find to buy

Hauled 20’ 2x8’s in my short box when I was building my shop, had more sticking out back than in the truck, lumber yard guys loved it 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Here’s one for you Seth....

7111BB65-A2C7-4126-AF0E-7C396643EC11.jpeg

THATS THE ONE! 

• Haha 1

In argued with the old man about the last van that we ordered, I wanted the long wheel base, he argued that it was  harder ti park in tighter places and “looked funny” .. i wasn’t aware we were in the business of “looking cool” but either way, it was him signing checks, not me so a standard wheelbase was ordered. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, twood1954 said:

Farmall 1066, it's F350 so has Y non commercial plate around $120 a year.  By having non commercial plate I don't have a dot number. 

And that’s what I would do as well!! Personal!??

52 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Hauled 20’ 2x8’s in my short box when I was building my shop, had more sticking out back than in the truck,

??  how did you keep them in?? You had at least 12 feet hanging out the rear!!???

19 f250 reg cab 8 foot box 6.2 gas currently.  Last truck 02 f250 extended cab 8 foot box 5.4 gas.  I like 8 foot boxes especially if you have a fuel tank in them.  I haul a lot of firewood with mine.  I only had 1 dog when I got the 19 .  Now I have 2 and wish I had the extended again.  There isn’t any truck I have drove that fits in a parking spot so I just drive our car to the grocery store if I am not getting anything I need the truck for. 87170502-E053-47F3-B82E-C5E2B7276096.thumb.jpeg.7debc106e87f887ef70533ba0187ccde.jpeg

• Like 1

Back in the day.

Before 4wheelets and SxS's.

Reg cab short box pickups were popular in feedlots cuz you could get down the alleyways and in the pens.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Paystar5000 said:

only had 1 dog when I got the 19 .  Now I have 2 and wish I had the extended again.  

Always got the supercab or crewcab.

Called it the dog box for that reason?

• Haha 1

Ext cab short bed for daily driver.  Prefer the maneuverability and looks.  Regular cab flatbed if I need to haul much.  Or daily driver and a trailer.  But that's just me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

??  how did you keep them in?? You had at least 12 feet hanging out the rear!!???

I had a 185 gallon water tank in the back put 3 2x4’s flat down under the tank and then put about 1/3 water in it, then go to lumber yard and fill gaps with boards and then back to bulk water to fill tank and head home, did a few trips to get all of them home

2 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

You are, you just don’t know it!!??

I cared about that when I bought my first new truck, i don't care about such things anymore, I remember washing and waxing, agonizing about proper offset of American Racing rims, the  right size tire to get proportions just right. 
now it starts, gets my butt to where I need to go and holds all my tools, i now find a lift gate far sexier than polished aluminum wheels. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh boy...

My 2500hd diesel chev is a ccsb and it pulls a 28' goosenect 70% of it mile over the pass.  Only grumble is i cannot turn real tight but never have been stuck either.  A former truck had the hitch relocator b&w thing.  Made biiig dif that 3".  Should order one but meh.  Sure cclb would ne sweet for trailer but...they are such a bear locally in town here.  Very non ag community which isnthe county seat.  You may park mile away to fit a cclb.  Brother has a exlb and i kinda like that but they are unicorn out here.  Ccsb is norm by far and away.

My farm truck i just sold (maybe a mistake) was a 94 sclb.  Really loved her.  But i honestly cannot recall the last time i needed 8'.  Stuff get delivered now days.i also have a 16' flatbed S1900 truck so if its long we use that.  And with 3 little kids the 2dr was kinda pita sometime. 

So we got a great deal on a auction for a 06 1500 exsb with protech box.  Why sold 94.  I frankly use the back seat more than the 8' bed....alot more.  I may sell the tool box since it makes it a 4' which is a bit frustrating.  

What ever works for you man.  I just dont need the long bed.  Heck 90% of my trips could bein a SmFartcar.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I will never own a short bed truck, if I could get one with a 12’ bed I would order it tomorrow 

Concour love my cab and chassis

0622211339a_HDR.jpg

0412211436_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

It nice to carry my water tank fuel tank and still have a 8 foot bed left...it steers almost as sharp as my 3/4 ton did...parking can be a pain almost always a 2 spotter 

Long box, only way for a pickup you use. I will admit my 68 is a short box, but it’s kind of an IH car with a box…. My work pickup has a tool box and my main farm pickup has a fuel tank, so a long box is absolutely necessary.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mader656 said:

Concour love my cab and chassis

0622211339a_HDR.jpg

0412211436_HDR.jpg

Nice rig

And it works perfect..for you.  I would never envision a 12' bed being needed here.  But i also aint ever remote like you are.  Did i miss the pic of that fancy rig?

14 Ford 250SD. Std cab and 8’ bed. Plain Jane as it gets. Hauls fuel tank and tool box. Only way to get a truck that you really use as a truck. Why pay for fancy seating and carpet just to cover up with grease and cow sh!t? Only option was 4X4. Hopefully last one I will need ?

• Like 2

My first two F-150's were both 6 ft 8 inch shortbeds,  having been around all 8 ft long box pickups, and the '56 F-350 Ford with NINE foot long box, the short boxes took some getting used to,  could haul my motorcycles, Cub Cadets, groceries, the 24 pcs full cut 1x12's 16 feet long presented a challenge, but with a Farmall M cylinder head sitting on the frt end of them I made it the 20+ miles home, and anything else I needed. Both trucks two door bench seat.  The F-250 was 2 door bench seat 8 ft box. I got real used to buying longer lumber, 10 ft molding fit inside the closed tailgate stuck into diagonal corners, 4x8 drywall, plywood, it ALL fit with the tailgate closed.

Then the truck market changed, had to have 4 doors and 2 bench seats, and boxes got tiny. My '18 RAM has the Quad-Cab, short back doors, back seats look cramped for adults, in 3-1/2 years I've never sat in it, I sit in front left side!  I think SON had two small girls in the back seat once, his girlfriends daughters. The 6 ft 4 inch box is about the shortest box I would want, I carry a lot of pruned tree branches and limbs,  the 8 ft or 9 ft box wouldn't over-load me.  First thing SON got for my F-250 was a cross the bed aluminum toolbox, makes his 8 ft box a 6 ft 2 inch box.  I actually shopped for a 10-12 ft hyd dump trailer couple weeks ago, like TP said in another topic, NOW is NOT the time to buy anything.

6 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Nice rig

And it works perfect..for you.  I would never envision a 12' bed being needed here.  But i also aint ever remote like you are.  Did i miss the pic of that fancy rig?

I've posted a few...my only working camera is the front facing camera...so they are pretty scarce..