It fell flat on it's face

hobbyfarm

This stinks.  Do they go all out once or does fatigue take it's toll over time?  Bounced a little on a rut but nothing crazy.

Guess we need to figure out how we are going to fix it.  I can't imagine what a used wide front costs.  I believe this was an IH one also not a Schwartz.

How easy will this come apart?  If I can't find a wide front what is involved in putting a narrow one under it?

KIMG0546.thumb.JPG.4374ff6b0044ea34316477a982c8b2cf.JPG

• Sad 5

i think if you had over 400 lbs hanging off your belt buckle you would fall flat on your face too.  weights go on the rear . if needed.

Put one together for my neighbor a few years ago. Bought the parts from A&I because he was a cheap skate. Quality on these parts, at the time anyway, was ok at best. His tractor had a Koyker K5 loader on it for years. 

Forgive me for not knowing much about smaller tractors, but that’s not a full size right? Shifter looks like maybe a 656? Do they use the same front axles as large frame models? If they do, that would sure make finding parts easier. 

2 minutes ago, rustred said:

i think if you had over 400 lbs hanging off your belt buckle you would fall flat on your face too.  weights go on the rear . if needed.

It has weights on the rears.  With a 3pt sprayer it needs those weights.

• Like 2

Man that’s a downright bummer. Definitely an ih wide front. Maybe a local boneyard would have one but I’m sure it’ll be a few bucks.

7 minutes ago, rrr4quality said:

That stinks! It must have split right at the pin?

Yes right at the pin.  We out pallet forks under it and drug it back to the shed.  Didn't really get to check it out much but definitely split in the center.

1 minute ago, hobbyfarm said:

It has weights on the rears.  With a 3pt sprayer it needs those weights.

i hardly think so , what is the weight then of that sprayer. i am sure ur  not driving with the front wheels off the ground. and if it bouced in the ruts and broke that tells the story.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, rustred said:

i hardly think so , what is the weight then of that sprayer. i am sure ur  not driving with the front wheels off the ground. and if it bouced in the ruts and broke that tells the story.

plus it looks like your raking hay not spraying a crop.

• Sad 1

Just now, rustred said:

plus it looks like your raking hay not spraying a crop.

same thing as breaking a sick over your knee.

• Sad 1

Hate to rub salt in ones wound but I think it already came apart...

Just now, rustred said:

They have been on there 10 years.  Sprayer holds 150 gallons so 2000lbs maybe?  I guess you take your weights on and off.  I don't.  If the consensus is they caused it then maybe I need to do something different.  If it is the same axle tubes as the larger tractors give me a break.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

What is your location? I would like to think that with all of the knowledge on here, somebody would know where there’s one of those not too far away. Hopefully

Bernville Pennsylvania

2 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

Bernville Pennsylvania

We are headed to eastern Ohio in a month, with an empty pickup, if you find a cheap one out this way. Won’t cost you any freight to Wheeling WV. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh crap. You are out here in the east with me, where there are not many parts and if they are they are expensive and the Parts Yard’s with them won’t take time to talk to you anyway. I envy those guys out west that say there are pallets of good parts for the picking

18 minutes ago, DT361 said:

Maybe just the center tube fatigue-cracked at the pivot?  ...I think you can buy those new?

Regardless - that sucks.

Mark

Edit - not cheap  ~$300 at Steiner.  Might be able to find cheaper.  I think this is the right part, but check -link- 

Edit/Edit - Bet Bitty-Built could weld it!

I'll have to compare to what we have tomorrow but that sure looks like it.  It says it fits a 1256. 

I guess my 600lbs of weights stress it more then a 1256 with a full rack?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hobbyfarm said:

They have been on there 10 years.  Sprayer holds 150 gallons so 2000lbs maybe?  I guess you take your weights on and off.  I don't.  If the consensus is they caused it then maybe I need to do something different.  If it is the same axle tubes as the larger tractors give me a break.

I have never dismounted weights from job to job in my life. A few suitcase weights didn’t cause this problem. I always thought those fabricated axle centers were a little lighter than the green cast center section of that era, but I’m sure others will disagree. I bet when you get it apart you will see it has been cracked a long time unless you REALLY hit something. I’m sure it is unlikely you broke that tube in one shot. At this point that tube has put in its time and doesn’t owe anyone anything. 

• Like 5