Case IH 5130 Maxxum PTO pushes snap ring out

Bought a 5130 back in the winter and I am having an issue where the PTO is popping out while using it... It happens more frequently on a 3-pt disc mower than any other equipment. I’m wondering if the disc mower is putting too much pressure on the PTO because it doesn’t do it baling hay or when hooked to the tedder. 

The PTO was rebuilt on this tractor before I bought it. I replaced the snap ring thinking it may of been worn and it has helped but it still popped out when using the disc mower. The PTO feels like it is all the way in but I have to get it lined up right for it to push it all the way in for the 540 (I never use 1000). I’m wondering if the snap ring groove could just be worn or if there could be something internal causing this issue.  

I’m not an expert, but if it only does it on one machine it might be worth a look at the shaft in the disc mower. Is the shaft on the mower the correct length for the tractor hitch? Is the shaft twisted so it is binding when trying to slide? Plenty of grease on the shaft? Worn coupling splines and/or bad U joints causing vibration? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

What has side to side play? The reversible stub shaft in the drive tube or the entire drive tube?

The reversible stub shaft that you put in the drive tube. 

5 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I’m not an expert, but if it only does it on one machine it might be worth a look at the shaft in the disc mower. Is the shaft on the mower the correct length for the tractor hitch? Is the shaft twisted so it is binding when trying to slide? Plenty of grease on the shaft? Worn coupling splines and/or bad U joints causing vibration? 

Those are great points. Will give it a look over too. It happened once on my round baler as well when on some rough ground. It's more prone to happen with the disc mower if you pick it up on the ends when turning rather than leaving it down.