1680 rotor out of balance

I had a mechanic from case international come out and inspect my Combine and said my rotor was out of balance I’ve heard guys say that they could weld on one side adding weight after they try to find the heavy side and get it back and has anyone ever had any luck trying to do this thanks 

There is a guy in Kansas that runs a business balancing combine components. I don’t know if he can do rotors or not. If it can be done I’m sure he could do it. I had him balance some straw choppers once and he said he traveled all over the country. He balanced mine on site. His name was Dennis Walker in Delphos, Ks. I think he called the business Precision Balance. Maybe there is someone like that closer to you, but if not might be worth a call. 

make sure that there is no rock damage or a hole in rotor. if there is a hole  get all of the dirt out. patch hole clean all dirt out from the rasp bars . now you can balance the rotor.

We've had choppers rotors all sorts of rotating things balanced by him 

Planning on taking mine to Grand Island for balancing in August. Got to get all the new iron on 1st. Took one from 1480#1 to the factory in 1989 for balancing. Bring yours to me, got room for 2.

The local IH guy years ago built a balancing jig for then basically a cart with a set of bearings on each end. Two bearings side by side on each end upright. I believe he had 6 inch metal wheels mounted on bearings also. The two wheel and bearing combo cradled each end of rotor shaft. They would mark rotor spin it by hand and make sure it didn’t stop at same spot every time. They did lots of them and were really good at balancing them

2 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

These guys balance rotors in Redfield, SD.

http://www.burdickbros.com/

May be a ways for you but someone closer may need the service.

That’s where I’ve sent all my rotors for 10+ years anymore. They do excellent work. They spin balance the Flagship rotors at 1300 rpm. They come back running smoother than new combines right out of Grand Island do. Just got this one back from them. It’s for a 9120. 

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many times I have seen where dirt/chaff will fall out of the cupped rasp bar mounts on one side of the rotor when sitting between crops, especially over the long season before wheat. Dig, clean, blow out all of those areas then check for balance with the gearcase in neutral.

• Like 2

Check the rotor over for any missing hardware including the impeller bolts , Not sure how much wear you have on rasp bars and impellers but over time that will cause a vibration

18 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

Many times I have seen where dirt/chaff will fall out of the cupped rasp bar mounts on one side of the rotor when sitting between crops, especially over the long season before wheat. Dig, clean, blow out all of those areas then check for balance with the gearcase in neutral.

This holds true with self propelled choppers also. It can be something as simple as a pulley that dirt fell out of the one side