706 rowcrop question

Hi, we have lost most of the chemicals we used on potatoes for weed control and now have decided to go back to one cultivation before the crop emerges to clean the ridges. We only plant 2 rows at a time so obviously only need a tractor big enough to cover two rows. On sloping land a rear mounted cultivator pulls a small tractor downhill and it is always a risk of disturbing the tubers. What do you think would be the best narrow front diesel tractor to fit front cultivators and mid mounted toolbar to? I'm sure we could find other jobs for the tractor but quite happy to find something for this job alone. The more maneuverable the better as we have some small awkward shaped fields and normally plant the whole field. Thanks. Richard.  

Farmall super C, mid mount cultivator but it is a gas tractor. Is the ultimate two row machine in my opinion

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bitty said:

Farmall super C, mid mount cultivator but it is a gas tractor. Is the ultimate two row machine in my opinion

Yes I agree cultivated many acres of corn with one as a kid when herbicides didn't work for one reason or another. Just not diesel. 

I always thought if I grew a bunch more tobacco and cultivated it I would find a front mount 4 row and make it a 2 row for my 544D  NF  Hydro. Comfortable, any speed to cultivate, easier to steer than a C I think with the cultivators on, still 4 cylinder. But I like working with no till tobacco and I don't cultivate or grow that much so whatever I do cultivate I use my Super C.

The 544 is a fine tractor but not real common, and when one comes up either it's grossly overpriced or people are climbing all over each other to run up the bid.

656 is essentially the same tractor only 2 cylinders longer, and they're al over the place. Plenty to choose from.

706 is similar. Lots of them out there. Heavier than a 656, more gears to choose from, hydraulic brakes.

What might be hardest to find is the front mounted cultivator. A lot of those got cut up for scrap.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, as it happens I do have a French F235D which is your super c with a little German 4 cyl diesel. It wouldn't be heavy enough for the ridging job....no doubt would cultivate then ridge but not got time for 2passes.

Would a 656 have the same clearance under it's belly as a 706?- 1 Rodger will have to be in the middle under the tractor.

656,666,686.   All are very similar.   Slightly smaller that the 706, 806 etc.    Pretty much the same clearance.   They turn a little shorter, handle like a smaller tractor.    Probably your best bet for a 2 row cultivator in a more modern diesel type tractor.    Unless you can find a super rare offset Kubota or some such.

I would not have wanted to use my 806 on a 2 row cultivator....the 666 would be better.   Still not like the offset Super C type though.

656,666,686 are super handy sized tractors......cultivated my share of corn with a 656 a 4 row mid mount cultivator!

13 hours ago, ruston3w said:

Thanks for the replies, as it happens I do have a French F235D which is your super c with a little German 4 cyl diesel. It wouldn't be heavy enough for the ridging job....no doubt would cultivate then ridge but not got time for 2passes.

Would a 656 have the same clearance under it's belly as a 706?- 1 Rodger will have to be in the middle under the tractor.

Can you weight it up some ? Add 2 sets of rear weights and try it? 

On 7/19/2021 at 7:22 AM, Matt Kirsch said:

The 544 is a fine tractor but not real common, and when one comes up either it's grossly overpriced or people are climbing all over each other to run up the bid.

656 is essentially the same tractor only 2 cylinders longer, and they're al over the place. Plenty to choose from.

706 is similar. Lots of them out there. Heavier than a 656, more gears to choose from, hydraulic brakes.

What might be hardest to find is the front mounted cultivator. A lot of those got cut up for scrap.

I know a guy who has a 706... German diesel with the 540/1000 pto. Great machine...

1 hour ago, rrr4quality said:

I saw those this morning on Craigslist, Michigan.

i thot he said a C wouldnt work and would need for bigger tractor like 656/706 and a 4 row - that one there would def work for someone - neighbor has a C but I sure wouldnt want to spend hours/days riding that thing - i did a lil cultivating back in the day on a B deere 4 row - I had an umbrella for shade - i loathed that and I love driving tractors

12 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

i thot he said a C wouldnt work and would need for bigger tractor like 656/706 and a 4 row - that one there would def work for someone - neighbor has a C but I sure wouldnt want to spend hours/days riding that thing - i did a lil cultivating back in the day on a B deere 4 row - I had an umbrella for shade - i loathed that and I love driving tractors

I don’t think one for the bigger tractors will pop up on Craigslist tomorrow morning!

https://lancaster.craigslist.org/grd/d/saylorsburg-ih-row-front-mounted/7339392356.html

Happened on this set on the local Craigslist but I see they are for like a 300-450. I'm not sure if they'd be adaptable to the newer tractors or not. Theyre not pretty looking but maybe they are somewhat sound I don't know.