Jump to content

Fast hitch plow identification


Recommended Posts

you are right- it is a C20. Came out with the Super C.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Correct, C20.

Looks like you should have some filler plates or it could come unlatched when plowing.  If it does come loose while plowing it's a good way to bend a point.

I wasn't sure if the 240 had the small or large points, but looking at the gap between your plow points and the socket on the tractor I'd say the 240 used large points.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

Correct, C20.

Looks like you should have some filler plates or it could come unlatched when plowing.  If it does come loose while plowing it's a good way to bend a point.

I wasn't sure if the 240 had the small or large points, but looking at the gap between your plow points and the socket on the tractor I'd say the 240 used large points.

Yes the 240 is the first one using the large point in the small tractor size. I assume that a 404 was available with a fast hitch unless it's just a 3pt tractor . Super C, 200, 230 are all point

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep, the 240 is large point and the plow is small point. I will tack some metal to the points on the plow to make it large point, but easy to remove if I sell the plow. Here’s a picture of what I did to a c200 disc plow I had the same issue with.

Thanks for the verification that is a C20 plow. It almost looks like to much plow for this size tractor, but then again all I have plowed is North Carolina red clay. 

430AB15C-AB9B-46BB-BE97-669D93BDC318.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, BrodyNC said:

Yep, the 240 is large point and the plow is small point. I will tack some metal to the points on the plow to make it large point, but easy to remove if I sell the plow. Here’s a picture of what I did to a c200 disc plow I had the same issue with.

Thanks for the verification that is a C20 plow. It almost looks like to much plow for this size tractor, but then again all I have plowed is North Carolina red clay. 

430AB15C-AB9B-46BB-BE97-669D93BDC318.jpeg

Neighbor here has the same plow for their super C, handles it fine 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, BrodyNC said:

It almost looks like to much plow for this size tractor

Since the C20 was designed for the Super C though, it's a perfect match. There's a video on youtube from farmall51 showing many of the fast hitch plows you could get for a Super C. There were dozens.

That plow frame is adjustable for width of cut. Looks like it is set for 2-12" right now and I think it can go up to 2-16" with the same bottoms.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As others have said I would think your 240 should handle it fine...although I have no experience with North Carolina clay.  I have a 2x14 C20 which I've plowed with many times behind a 230 and it was a great match.

I'm just surprised that that IH didn't use small points on the 240 since it's the continuation of the Super C, 200, and 230.  But I suppose the large point sockets give the flexibility of using both small and large point implements.

Welding a filler plate to the implement is probably a little more convenient.  But I prefer to use the filler plates like IH designed at the time.  I have a NOS set and have made a few copies.  That is what I use with my 100 sickle mower on my 340.  They're really pretty simple, just sit in the bottom of the socket on the tractor.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, IH Forever said:

But I prefer to use the filler plates like IH designed at the time.  I have a NOS set

Do you have a picture of the filler plates? We’ve toyed with the idea of putting filler plates in the fast hitch sockets but didn’t know that was something IH actually made. Do the filler plates have a lip to catch the end of the socket?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, should the second colter be turned around or slid back on the frame where it is closer to the back moldboard, or is it correct where it is now?

54117DC8-E916-4930-8EAA-C3F481996BE0.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BrodyNC said:

Do you have a picture of the filler plates? We’ve toyed with the idea of putting filler plates in the fast hitch sockets but didn’t know that was something IH actually made. Do the filler plates have a lip to catch the end of the socket?

I will try to remember to get some pictures for you.  They have a hole in the end with a roll pin through it which prevents the filler plate from sliding down into the socket.  There is also a hole on the other end and a pin so that you can pin it to the socket to prevent it from coming out when you unhook the implement.  I've never used the pin to secure it.  Many years ago I made a couple of sets based off of the picture in a parts book and some dimensions from a fellow member here.  Since then I was able to purchase a set of NOS on an auction.

The coulter would probably work fine where it is.  But yes, I'd say it should be back closer to the moldboard.  For some reason, maybe trash clearance, someone has slid it ahead on the frame.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, IH Forever said:

As others have said I would think your 240 should handle it fine...although I have no experience with North Carolina clay.  I have a 2x14 C20 which I've plowed with many times behind a 230 and it was a great match.

I'm just surprised that that IH didn't use small points on the 240 since it's the continuation of the Super C, 200, and 230.  But I suppose the large point sockets give the flexibility of using both small and large point implements.

Welding a filler plate to the implement is probably a little more convenient.  But I prefer to use the filler plates like IH designed at the time.  I have a NOS set and have made a few copies.  That is what I use with my 100 sickle mower on my 340.  They're really pretty simple, just sit in the bottom of the socket on the tractor.

I know from experience than NC Clay can be like plowing concrete. I've seen a 3-14 plow be all an 886 could handle. Carrying front wheels knee high. And then I have also seen a 90 hp kubota pull a 3-18 fairly well. Depends on the compaction level and the moisture level. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am getting a plow mounted on the 230 it's missing some parts for tripping it when raising it . I have a set of mounted C ones that are donating good bottoms for this. Hoping to get this to a show in a week 

IMG_20210720_205056742.jpg

IMG_20210720_205104069.jpg

IMG_20210720_205113383.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve attached some pictures, 1st is a set of the filler plates I made. Then the NOS IH filler plates I bought on an auction. Last a picture from the 340 parts book showing the filler plates.

These are the dimensions of the filler plates I made:

1/2” thick, 1 1/4” wide, 13 1/4” long

These are the NOS dimensions:

7/16” thick, 1 3/16” wide, 12 7/8” long

The center of the hole for the roll pin is 3/4” from the end.

E89D587D-6761-4117-B15C-9D9768059EB6.thumb.jpeg.d2c2fc2634cc71f16fa73c3df4e1ab1f.jpegB5875117-1955-4677-BD38-3334F491E292.thumb.jpeg.2f47a010866b0cf6e3f35d97eae1c39f.jpeg24438C00-BA42-4AA2-9947-57F35F118F78.thumb.jpeg.51376d41b2ecce15925989669cf1087f.jpeg1E1ECF03-BD35-4038-9C95-5436D32E56AD.thumb.jpeg.7f905a685976e1e291a40d0baef80b4f.jpeg

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 885 said:

know from experience than NC Clay can be like plowing concrete 

1BE5D290-0F40-4E82-BFC9-7C515DC53273.jpeg
Had to drop a bottom off of this snap coupler plow to even begin to be able to plow this field. 

0BC9EBE9-CE26-432F-B6EA-4E865F2926D6.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

I’ve attached some pictures

Thank you for pictures! May build a set of these instead of welding on every small point implement we come across. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think they went to large point on the 240 was so everything was the same, made it easier

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...