Distillate manifold for Farmall H

Does anyone still make new distillate manifolds for a Farmall H? Or, are there specs available somewhere that a forge could use to make one?

Thanks.

is it just for looks or to run distillate? as disitllate is obsolete and you dont want to burn that garbage anyhow and wash down cyl. walls then burn oil.

A pattern to cast a replacement intake manifold for a FARMALL H has a lot of interlocking cores. Forging one out of glowing red/orange hot iron would be impossible.  Places like Steiner's sell imported castings which are functional,  or a usable used manifold could be bought from a used tractor parts yard.  RUSTRED is exactly right, Distallate wasn't good fuel when it was available, in early operator's manuals there's instructions every so many run hours to open the lower oil petcock and drain the top quart of oil out of the engine and refill the engine to the upper petcock. Distallate and kerosene didn't combust completely and raw unburned fuel blew past the rings and dilluted the oil.

Dad had a 1939 FARMALL H that did have the small gas tank at one time, distallate or kerosene intake, had shutters, low compression cyl head, and as far back as 1960 it was on a steady diet of 87 octane regular gasoline. Dad bought 50 gallons of kerosene every fall to burn in his big Knipco kerosene heater to warm up the shop.

You could put all the correct added Distallate or kerosene parts on your H but I'd still burn gasoline.

20 hours ago, fputnamjr said:

Does anyone still make new distillate manifolds for a Farmall H? Or, are there specs available somewhere that a forge could use to make one?

Thanks.

There are small foundries that do custom one-off stuff like that that, there used to be one in either Red Power or Harvester Highlights. Find one and discuss what you want to do. I don’t know your wood working prowess but it is possible that you could make the pattern ( you will need mathematics and a foundry ruler) and give it to them to cast for you. Or, just pay them to make the pattern. Just guessing as I do not know pattern maker’s wages, if $100/hr, you could be looking at $800 starting point . But call a foundry first and let them explain your options.

10 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

A pattern to cast a replacement intake manifold for a FARMALL H has a lot of interlocking cores. Forging one out of glowing red/orange hot iron would be impossible.  Places like Steiner's sell imported castings which are functional,  or a usable used manifold could be bought from a used tractor parts yard.  RUSTRED is exactly right, Distallate wasn't good fuel when it was available, in early operator's manuals there's instructions every so many run hours to open the lower oil petcock and drain the top quart of oil out of the engine and refill the engine to the upper petcock. Distallate and kerosene didn't combust completely and raw unburned fuel blew past the rings and dilluted the oil.

Dad had a 1939 FARMALL H that did have the small gas tank at one time, distallate or kerosene intake, had shutters, low compression cyl head, and as far back as 1960 it was on a steady diet of 87 octane regular gasoline. Dad bought 50 gallons of kerosene every fall to burn in his big Knipco kerosene heater to warm up the shop.

You could put all the correct added Distallate or kerosene parts on your H but I'd still burn gasoline.

I do burn gasoline. I've made up some "distillate" mix just to try it and it worked fine. My effort is to keep this "retired" '42 war tractor just is it came from IH in 1942.

5 hours ago, Binderoid said:

There are small foundries that do custom one-off stuff like that that, there used to be one in either Red Power or Harvester Highlights. Find one and discuss what you want to do. I don’t know your wood working prowess but it is possible that you could make the pattern ( you will need mathematics and a foundry ruler) and give it to them to cast for you. Or, just pay them to make the pattern. Just guessing as I do not know pattern maker’s wages, if $100/hr, you could be looking at $800 starting point . But call a foundry first and let them explain your options.

Thanks.

On 7/18/2021 at 3:52 PM, rustred said:

is it just for looks or to run distillate? as disitllate is obsolete and you dont want to burn that garbage anyhow and wash down cyl. walls then burn oil.

I burn gasoline now. I've made up some "distillate" mix just to try it and it worked fine. My effort is to keep this "retired" '42 war tractor just is it came from IH in 1942.

1 hour ago, fputnamjr said:

Thanks.

Your subject is interesting to me because I want to try the same thing in a F30. I have a busted up all- fuel manifold that l’m trying to piece back together. I was wondering what you tried your special brew in. Are you looking for a manifold because yours is in bad shape or did you try it with a gas manifold?

do you realize that if the engine is not operating near boiling you dilute the crankcase oil with the low grade fuel that doesn't vaporize properly. The two petcocks on the oil pan are to open the bottom one and drain a quart of oil out every  morning and then refill to the top petcock with new oil.

• Like 1

There's a guy near Grand Rapids Michigan who works with a small foundry to make short runs of manifolds for antique tractors. He advertises on craigslist -not just Grand Rapids. Every so often one of his ads shows up on the local Syracuse Craigslist.

If you poke around you might find him.

34 minutes ago, randy hall said:

do you realize that if the engine is not operating near boiling you dilute the crankcase oil with the low grade fuel that doesn't vaporize properly. The two petcocks on the oil pan are to open the bottom one and drain a quart of oil out every  morning and then refill to the top petcock with new oil.

that is true . its just that the farmers were burning this cheap grade of fuel to save money, in the 30's and 40's, but in the end they ended up with worn out engines. so there was no saving. better off to just dump in 1/4 diesel fuel if you had two tanks.  the engine has to be run HOT though.

12 minutes ago, KWRB said:

There's a guy near Grand Rapids Michigan who works with a small foundry to make short runs of manifolds for antique tractors. He advertises on craigslist -not just Grand Rapids. Every so often one of his ads shows up on the local Syracuse Craigslist.

If you poke around you might find him.

On 7/18/2021 at 2:10 PM, fputnamjr said:

Thanks.

I found the guy. See your PM's

5 hours ago, fputnamjr said:

I do burn gasoline. I've made up some "distillate" mix just to try it and it worked fine. My effort is to keep this "retired" '42 war tractor just is it came from IH in 1942.

FYI - I have a Deere that is distillate, once you get it toasty you can literally burn about anything you want in it. Are you sure you want to go distillate? Maybe just run gas but have it restored original. 

Back Story since its green, I obtained it from my cousins in NE. Its a 44 long hood/slant dash. I know its green but its a family heirloom that was headed to the scrapper. 

I taught myself how to rebuild the mag, rebuilt the carb, had the governor assm rebuilt it was worn out. New fan shaft bushings/gear. 

Used it several yrs and it burned oil/smoked like a diesel engine rollin coal. 

Before I started taking it apart, ( because I had purchased my FILs old 560 ) for the novelty I put gas in the big tank and threw in some kerosene mix in the lil tank.

I had done some experimenting with waste oil so had a few gallons of some waste oil from a chinese restaurant. 

I mixed up the kung pow kerosene  - the shutters had been removed so i used a chunk of cardboard. Googled it and said get it up to 200+ then switch it over to distillate. 

Boy was that a fun experiment, honestly couldnt tell a differnce in the smoke it burned oil so bad BUT it smelled so good, like crab rangoon!!!! 

I was thinking if a guy wanted to do something fun like that at a tractor/farm/car show, get her hot and get some oil from mcdonalds, or better yet the local donut shop!!!!

Smells like french fries, kawasaki chicken, or DONUTS!!!!

i ran several gallons of it thru that tractor and its been sitting since. I knew it needed overhauled and was going to make a father/kids project out of it but my kids never took an interest. They all moved out with their mom during the divorce. 

Im going to just do it on my own at this point. Its on my radar. 

Probably wont go back to running distillate, i plan to put bigger late model gas pistons, gas carb, gas manifold on it. I plan to use it not show it. 

17 hours ago, randy hall said:

That was the hearsay but the reality is much different. Actually, I've run a distillate facsimile and it worked just fine. If someone runs straight kero, I suppose dilution could happen if they run it cold all the time but distillate was much different from kerosene. That said, as noted above a couple of times, I run it on gas now. My purpose for trying to find the distillate manifold is to keep it original as a '42 war tractor.

• Like 1

I know where there is a distillate manifold that could perhaps be copied, as said before be a bear to cast, but I would think a skilled fabricator could make a reasonable facsimile out of steel. I assume a 40 vs a 42 would have no difference.