Tractor of the week # 18 706

While the 706 is not one of my favorite IH tractors at all, it is this weeks pick. I just for some reason never had any fancy for a 706. Maybe because as a kid every farm had one and most were choke riding narrow front gassers. Being one of the most die hard IH guys on planet earth I am sure some of you may think it is funny for me to not care for a particular IH model. I do have my favorites of course, and to be honest my IH love starts with 806 and then bigger and newer. I do however enjoy them all. Now back to the 706. The one I have posted today belongs to my brother. It is probably one of very few 706's that I could own. It is a saved from death narrow front gasser. It now has a 414 turbo for the muscle. It has 56 shift, fast hitch, flat top fenders, wide front, two valves, a 14 inch clutch, 11L x 15 fronts and 20.8 x 34 rears. As far as a 706 goes, this one is seriously bad a$$! The boys and I put the 414 in it for him after he saved it from scrap. He said he needed another tractor and always wanted a smaller one with a DT in it. Needless to say he loves it, and for a 706, so do I. Now I know, this is not a true representation of a 706, but it sure is to our family. Anyway, let's see em' y'all!

IMG950092_3.jpg

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

While the 706 is not one of my favorite IH tractors at all, it is this weeks pick. I just for some reason never had any fancy for a 706. Maybe because as a kid every farm had one and most were choke riding narrow front gassers. Being one of the most die hard IH guys on planet earth I am sure some of you may think it is funny for me to not care for a particular IH model. I do have my favorites of course, and to be honest my IH love starts with 806 and then bigger and newer. I do however enjoy them all. Now back to the 706. The one I have posted today belongs to my brother. It is probably one of very few 706's that I could own. It is a saved from death narrow front gasser. It now has a 414 turbo for the muscle. It has 56 shift, fast hitch, flat top fenders, wide front, two valves, a 14 inch clutch, 11L x 15 fronts and 20.8 x 34 rears. As far as a 706 goes, this one is seriously bad a$$! The boys and I put the 414 in it for him after he saved it from scrap. He said he needed another tractor and always wanted a smaller one with a DT in it. Needless to say he loves it, and for a 706, so do I. Now I know, this is not a true representation of a 706, but it sure is to our family. Anyway, let's see em' y'all!

IMG950092_3.jpg

I know of a few that were main tractors for a farm but I always envisioned them as a heavy chore tractor.  Spread manure, run silo blower, etc..  Don't love them but don't hate them.  If I inherited a good 706 I would keep it and that would be the acid test as to whether a person liked one or not.  

Yes! The farmer we help cut wheat for uses a real nice 706 on an auger. I believe everything on this one is stock…. Except the seat. It has a fast hitch as well. This is one really nice tractor. Since they have had it this tractor has spent most of its time on auger duty I think. 
C802A4C8-145C-4348-9CB4-B9B29075E612.thumb.jpeg.2b92ab00e1a823e9600d9d8e723a4c21.jpeg

8C1BA7C6-434C-468B-9657-B1D3D7002991.thumb.jpeg.70e1c0df7123c9eb9531b972832b9eab.jpeg

DED381E7-8E32-44F3-A7EA-FBCA6428FF6B.thumb.jpeg.c4c0f514c0a88ff342c02013074dd97a.jpeg

• Like 4

I have a 706 dad bought in the mid 70s but don't have a pic handy. He traded his 560 in on it. We are the second owner.

It is an early 706D with the D282, wide front, and 3pt. The shifter was upgraded to the 56 style for the original owner when the 56 series came out by the dealer. It has never had fenders on it since we bought it but it came with a set of clay shells.

It had a TA but dad had it straight shafted when it went out back in the 80s. I wish it still had the TA, you can't roll start it anyway with the D282.

Back in the 70s the big farmer (the Becker family) in our area had a 706 as their big tillage tractor. They farmed around 1000 acres of cotton,  soybeans, wheat and milo plus a few cattle. All row crops were on beds so they planted and cultivated with the single front Hs, they were auto steer! They had a 706D with D282 and wide front. They were 4 row farmers and had an M and 2 Hs plus a small Ford. They didn't buy new big equipment very often. Several smaller farmers had bigger newer equipment but they mostly went bankrupt in the early 80s while the Beckers survived. Later they traded the 706 for a 1206 but never bought big equipment to match it.

I'll grab a pic of mine.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 3

Dad bought a new 706 gas when they first came out.  Was our "big" tractor.  Narrow front with 15.5 x 38s.  Had just a swinging draw bar.  Dad also bought a 4-16 IH plow to go with it.  It "ate" an exhaust valve at less than 1000 hours.  My Dad was not happy!  I was plowing in bean ground on the 706 with my brother on the Super M-TA when it  "ate" the valve.  Turned out the use of low ash oil was required for long engine life.  I don't believe he ever got much over a 1000 hours between overhauls.  It was traded off for a used 966 diesel in the early 70s.

Bill

• Like 2

this is the sons 706 in its work clothes 18.4 /38s on rear 8:16 on front .with a little work on the pump straight pipe sounds cool 

6F0AEBEC-1DBB-4D56-ACA8-AD9F7A518DAE.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

IMG950092_3.jpg

How much work was it to put the 414 in it??

I grew up with a pair of 1966 Farmall 706 gas tractors.   Grandpa traded his 400 in for this one at Grinnell Implement in the fall of 1969. Dad had graduated from Iowa State and had rented 240 acres for 1970. With double the acres to farm, more horsepower was required.  This one came with 263 gas, NF, no fenders, three point and dual PTO.   It provided needed power for bigger jobs and wore the 234 picker in the fall. Over the years, the tractor changed appearance: first with a schwartz wide front and a Westendorf wl21 loader.  Later an IH 8 bolt 856 front axle was mounted, as the Schwarz was not heavy enough.  

In 1971, Dad purchased his 706 at Grinnell Implement.   Grandpa's 706 was not enough machine for all the demands of the farm,  racking up a staggering amount of hours. Dad's has a 291 gas, Schwartz wide front, fenders, 3 point and dual PTO.   Years later, it swapped front axles with Grandpas 706 when the westendorf loader was mounted. These 2 machines are still a large part of our operation today. 

Last year,  I purchased a 706 LP tractor to restore. 

706 schwartz loader.JPG

Dad's 706 thru the years.

dads 706 wf.JPG

dads 706 1992.JPG

The little man standing beside Grandpa Wade with his backpack is me. Just off the bus and going to help grandpa hay the calves.

20200530_140013.jpg

Gpa & I 706 1982.JPG

Grandpa's 706 thru the years. 

706 westendorf.JPG

I don't know how these captions and photos jumbled up on me!

gpa 706 JD wagon.JPG

• Like 7

I wouldn't want to be without ours. I really like it, nimble, peppy, just a nice handy tractor. 

That has something to do with the 310 in it and M&W on top of it. I would think differently about a gasser or 282 powered one I'm sure. 

Came from a family friend when he went to a home and had no need for a tractor any more.  Of all the tractors he had while he was farming, the 706 is the one he chose to keep. 

Fast hitch, 2 remotes, 34 inch rubber, narrow front. I wouldn't like it as much with a wide front I don't think either. 

I use it a fair amount for tobacco, it pulls my transplanter and then I use it some to load wagons when we are harvesting.20210526_081406.thumb.jpg.1de538785cc0153ed32055f0934dbb44.jpg

20200814_183809.thumb.jpg.484a02793299742992c747a2bc994330.jpg

20190816_190457.thumb.jpg.4e4853f3b2a8ab671f655107fc248896.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Farmall1066 said:

How much work was it to put the 414 in it??

It really wouldn't be an issue at all because everything bolts so to speak. However, the 706 is really too short to get it done without a lot of cramming. I do know some guys have done it without adding length, but we did. Not enough room for the fan and crank pulley without making it longer. Most try not to do that as it creates a challenge with the hood. This one has a lengthened hood and the white side panels are hand made. Also have to carve on the fuel tank saddle for turbo clearance and machine and weld the back plate so it is 706 width. The radiator necks were also moved to make the hoses work. If a guy wants to hunt long enough for all the correct parts we were told it can be done without the added length. This requires a 1456 hood and I think 806 gas frame rails. A 1456 hood is worth more than we had in the whole project though. So we opted to weld. This is kinda a simplified quick explanation. I'm sure there is someone else on here who has also done this. We know of three others in out part of the country with transplants as well. Also mention we started with a clutch set up smaller than a 14 inch and it failed to hold in the farm stock class. The 14 inch clutch was then installed later. Holds fine now, running about 225 HP. We really started on this project as a they say it can't be done thing. We knew it could be because we had seen them. This is maybe just more our version of proving to ourselves we can do it with what is in our inventory and not going out and buying more parts. Most costly was having the radiator done. Everything else we did ourselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Back in the day.............Picture just for you, zoom in to brother's shirt.:rolleyes:

Troy.JPG.5d6f74a91cfd0b3410ca8ccb2a49917d.JPG

Can't read it from southwestern Illinois

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

It really wouldn't be an issue at all because everything bolts so to speak. However, the 706 is really too short to get it done without a lot of cramming. I do know some guys have done it without adding length, but we did. Not enough room for the fan and crank pulley without making it longer. Most try not to do that as it creates a challenge with the hood. This one has a lengthened hood and the white side panels are hand made. Also have to carve on the fuel tank saddle for turbo clearance and machine and weld the back plate so it is 706 width. The radiator necks were also moved to make the hoses work. If a guy wants to hunt long enough for all the correct parts we were told it can be done without the added length. This requires a 1456 hood and I think 806 gas frame rails. A 1456 hood is worth more than we had in the whole project though. So we opted to weld. This is kinda a simplified quick explanation. I'm sure there is someone else on here who has also done this. We know of three others in out part of the country with transplants as well. Also mention we started with a clutch set up smaller than a 14 inch and it failed to hold in the farm stock class. The 14 inch clutch was then installed later. Holds fine now, running about 225 HP. We really started on this project as a they say it can't be done thing. We knew it could be because we had seen them. This is maybe just more our version of proving to ourselves we can do it with what is in our inventory and not going out and buying more parts. Most costly was having the radiator done. Everything else we did ourselves.

Guessing if you could find a good D312 or D360 for a 706 you'd be golden.

1 minute ago, TP from Central PA said:

Had a JD 4020 on it:lol:

The Long Green Line - two 4020s pulling 5-16s.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Well I know how much the OP likes how we "Church it up" here in Susquahanna Township, Lycoming County, PA:lol:

I actually saw that once - two 4020s pulling a five bottom semi-mount in gumbo (honestly I'm not sure an 806 would have horsed 5-16s there either, but I regret not getting a picture).  But that was when you paid for film and developing, and most of us didn't carry a camera around.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve C. said:

I actually saw that once - two 4020s pulling a five bottom semi-mount in gumbo (honestly I'm not sure an 806 would have horsed 5-16s there either, but I regret not getting a picture).  But that was when you paid for film and developing, and most of us didn't carry a camera around.

Its amazing at all the different conditions out there..................They pulled 5 bottoms in the river bottoms here with a 706 gas, where that picture was taken there was no way, 4 was enough.  Just to the west along a creek bed coming out into the river, I had 5-16's on a 1456 and it was enough if you wanted to make time...............Guy there farmed with Fords and pulled 4-16's with big TW's................He thought my 1456 was coal fired:lol:

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Its amazing at all the different conditions out there..................They pulled 5 bottoms in the river bottoms here with a 706 gas, where that picture was taken there was no way, 4 was enough.  Just to the west along a creek bed coming out into the river, I had 5-16's on a 1456 and it was enough if you wanted to make time...............Guy there farmed with Fords and pulled 4-16's with big TW's................He thought my 1456 was coal fired:lol:

Some guys I knew back in the day pulled 4-16s with a 6030 and 5-15s with a 7520 in the Mississippi bottom west of here, and didn't set any speed records.