Wind tower building during wheat harvest…..

IHhogfarmer

39 minutes ago, JaredT said:

Grandpa said it reminded him of the fight against electricity coming through in the late 1930's, where would be if the blow hards won on that one?

Your opinion and perspective is welcomed. I just wanted to post them putting one up and see what other people’s thoughts were about the towers in their areas…… and to post some wheat harvest pics?

What your grandpa said is interesting, I don’t think I’ve heard this one before. Watching these towers the other day I thought “I wonder what people though 100-150 years ago when farm windmills started going up?” Then I figured it’s possible that everyone knew they would be a help to livestock 

REA, windmills, fence.

Been some pretty big changes to rural America. Not all were widely accepted at first but now are common place.

Jayce, don't want to take your thread in a direction not intended.

Just one more post and I will bow out.

If any of you would like some more information before forming a pro or con opinion. 

I highly recommend this book.

IMG_20210718_120308625.thumb.jpg.1771a3d44016127470c7d9b4237e3430.jpg

IMG_20210718_120318676.thumb.jpg.4c244fdb88e3965dca4657343bedf098.jpg

IMG_20210718_120409164.thumb.jpg.56a3808822eaf30ff1e7e508a5f82b17.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Jayce, don't want to take your thread in a direction not intended.

Just one more post and I will bow out.

Thanks Jeff, I started this as an open discussion for whoever wanted to express their thoughts about this subject….. whichever side anyone was on since it’s affecting us all in some way

4 minutes ago, IHhogfarmer said:

Thanks Jeff, I started this as an open discussion for whoever wanted to express their thoughts about this subject….. whichever side anyone was on since it’s affecting us all in some way

It is always nice to have a civil discussion with the facts respectfully brought out on either side. 

In areas where wind turbines (and the transmission lines to carry the electricity) are being considered, the discussion is not always very civil. Including my area of Cherry Co. 

If you are in one of these areas, please get ahead of it and do you homework. 

• Like 1

And how I remember MANY farm people from our grandparents' generation remembered so fondly about the day that their farm was hooked up to REA so they didn't have to depend on an unreliable wind generator keeping the light plant on the farm charged so it could be used when needed.

Remember last winter when Texas was freezing, rolling blackouts throughout the Midwest as they were necessary to keep the whole electric grid from collapsing? All while this was going on, we had over 100+ windmills not even turning 1 RPM as there was absolutely no wind in the -20 degree cold. And also, we have 4 hydroelectric dams here in SD on the Missouri River that were not putting out any energy due to the river being exceptionally low. What saved everybody when all that happened? Coal plants were more than able to ramp up to provide all the electrical power when nothing else could.

And what is our federal government doing to solve this problem? Encouraging all these utilities to retire their coal plants. Just makes a lot of sense, doesn't it? I think many from our grandparents generation would truly wonder about some of the decisions made by the "people in charge" when it comes to our overall energy policy today.

The utility that serves our town had two big GenSets here in town; IIRC, they were Fairbanks-Morse engines. About 15 years ago, we had a ice storm that knocked out miles of power lines...those Gen Sets ran for over a week nonstop to keep the power going around here. The utility removed them about 5 years ago because they were not emissions compliant...said we didn't need them anymore. After what happened last February, a lot of people are questioning if that was a good decision or not. The whole idea of replacing coal plants with windmills just seems to be risky, at best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Newest thing here is solar farms, not small ones but ones covering 1,000+ acres. One proposed close to one of our rented farms supposedly has 1,300 acres & they're looking for more ground. Personall6, I don't want either one but would be hard to turn down $1,00/ac + rent or $15,000 - $20,000 per tower. If I had to chose I'd take the windmills, at least I'd still have most my land to farm.

8 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

And they make quite a site when they self-destruct and burn!

Seen one on fire on I90 in MN one time. Ever notice on a windy day only 1/2 to 2/3's of them are turning. Why?

It could get ugly one day if the government either decides to pull the plug or runs out of money to keep subsidizing them. To tall to store corn in. 

Some of you say they don't maintain the wind turbines. Maybe they don't in certain areas. One of my granddaughter's husband works for one of the largest wind turbine company in our area as a part of a maintenance crew. He gets anywhere from 55 to 70 hours a week and gets close $35.00 an hour. He says his job is anything from hoeing weeds at the base of a turbine to maintaining the generators and gearboxes. And if they have to stay out of town overnight, motels are paid for and he gets $40.00 a day per diem for meals. He has been with them a little over 8 years.   l don't think the company would pay that kind of money if they didn't intend to hang around for a while.

1 hour ago, cedar farm said:

Seen one on fire on I90 in MN one time. Ever notice on a windy day only 1/2 to 2/3's of them are turning. Why?

It could get ugly one day if the government either decides to pull the plug or runs out of money to keep subsidizing them. To tall to store corn in. 

When it is too windy (≈55 mph) the windmills will be shut down so they are not damaged. 

4 hours ago, sandhiller said:

REA, windmills, fence.

Been some pretty big changes to rural America. Not all were widely accepted at first but now are common place.

Public waterline was ran here in my early teen years. My Dad bought 6 water meters from them just to encourage running the line. Then where ever it was possible he gave the easement on our property so the line zigzags back and forth under the road.

As for the windmills I don't think they are a solution, they may be part of a solution. With that said it ****** me off when a resident landowner gets something shoved down the throat, I was threatened with eminent domain more times than I can count.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

As for the windmills I don't think they are a solution, they may be part of a solution. With that said it ****** me off when a resident landowner gets something shoved down the throat, I was threatened with eminent domain more times than I can count.

That pi**es me off too, eminent domain was not intended to be used that way and should be fought when tried.  Land that is owned by non residents should be exempt from voting rights in my opinion, so that they cannot dump things like solar and wind turbines in someone else's community. Locally we have seen the good and the bad, be educated on it before its put in front of you. If you cant stop it from coming into your township, at least have control over its construction and management so that it isnt a burden down the road. 

14 minutes ago, JaredT said:

If you cant stop it from coming into your township, at least have control over its construction and management so that it isnt a burden down the road. 

Until they farm out the maintenance or management of the so called public entity and it starts all over again

Believe it or not, the original contracts can provide for a change in ownership to have to honor the original contract as far as tax agreements and lights being radar controlled and so on. I doubt the maintenance firms can be controlled, but having to provide and keep the money for teardown and such can be in the contracts and not able to be removed no matter how many times it is bought and sold. The local authorities can make the rules on set backs and a lot of other things around here.  Our area has learned a lot, I will answer questions with any info I know, i am not a genius on the subject either. Not pro or con, just straight info. 

There’s probably well over 100 wind generators, less than 8 miles northwest of us. 
I am not a fan of them, but between them and the salt mine southwest of us, they provide a lot of jobs in the area. My problem with the turbines is there is no way they will ever pay for themselves. The generators here are already being replaced and updated. Not sure exactly how old they are, but when I moved into this area the first time, in 1999, there were none.