Wind tower building during wheat harvest…..

IHhogfarmer

Not the most ideal thing to be going when there is equipment going around and wind traffic is on the same roads but we saw a little action of them putting blades on a tower while harvesting today. 

This one was sitting on the ground when we came to the field this morning. They had it tied down somehow to secure it then slowly begin to lift. You can see the far left tower, the blades are on the ground.  Don’t know much about the process but thought I would share. Anyone here live within a mile a two of these wind towers?

0C521280-C7F6-43CF-B5C1-3D92B4ED1FFC.thumb.jpeg.cd9afdb610692541df3302ed2afa76b2.jpeg

75B29E9A-B7BC-4526-A155-33AFFA7CC868.thumb.jpeg.fe4441c4fd0e5a7f5ca4d423a20fb10d.jpeg

35598CDC-5BD5-4835-8742-CDB630201265.thumb.jpeg.6dec57acbf2f55dbf85f0af0e1957e36.jpeg

EE618DED-1BCB-48E2-8031-029B56C4DAB5.thumb.jpeg.b918a94133ec0b6545391595501a3a81.jpeg

• Like 2

And of course here are some harvest pics?

Case IH 2588 and we got help for 2.5 days with a 7230

19B75CF9-F042-4BD8-A1A9-EEDC9F0F204E.thumb.jpeg.e60ac0b08f72d9c3f88729168b425fd2.jpeg

A07CEC45-E240-48EF-BF95-EC85C9401EA0.thumb.jpeg.ed6b3cc4c9c3fd96efb882fb265cc8f0.jpeg

815A12FB-7281-4345-87A4-89D64F527AF2.thumb.jpeg.968a7cecbaaac228c59c970d15f8e21d.jpeg

28B25001-D6FA-46CB-96CB-4EE649F39AE0.thumb.jpeg.9da33116b92d98c12232725ae41a2c9e.jpeg

22AB6B7A-49E3-46CE-BC21-9A37998B6FFF.thumb.jpeg.416e90ff4030171d4871e74dc8a5c98a.jpeg

333FDE3C-9B58-4BB4-8DC0-E1901156EF9F.thumb.jpeg.ef3280754115155314b50072155035f5.jpeg

409F9708-86A5-416E-87F0-74DF90287939.thumb.jpeg.c3e57426fe610c3e3381ea5b1bb8feb3.jpeg

0919EEF7-CD8E-4D14-9693-A88FFDE68982.thumb.jpeg.851d9eb026547e9e15c2c4dc0ec27389.jpeg

7C417B75-BDA6-4C17-8283-C9EA162498A5.thumb.jpeg.f1f7abc016756c109074b53a593b87be.jpeg

• Like 16

20 minutes ago, IHhogfarmer said:

Not the most ideal thing to be going when there is equipment going around and wind traffic is on the same roads but we saw a little action of them putting blades on a tower while harvesting today. 

This one was sitting on the ground when we came to the field this morning. They had it tied down somehow to secure it then slowly begin to lift. You can see the far left tower, the blades are on the ground.  Don’t know much about the process but thought I would share. Anyone here live within a mile a two of these wind towers?

0C521280-C7F6-43CF-B5C1-3D92B4ED1FFC.thumb.jpeg.cd9afdb610692541df3302ed2afa76b2.jpeg

75B29E9A-B7BC-4526-A155-33AFFA7CC868.thumb.jpeg.fe4441c4fd0e5a7f5ca4d423a20fb10d.jpeg

35598CDC-5BD5-4835-8742-CDB630201265.thumb.jpeg.6dec57acbf2f55dbf85f0af0e1957e36.jpeg

EE618DED-1BCB-48E2-8031-029B56C4DAB5.thumb.jpeg.b918a94133ec0b6545391595501a3a81.jpeg

My sympathies to you and your neighbors.

We are still fighting to keep them out of Cherry County. 

• Like 7

The county I live in would not allow them. As soon as you cross the county line they are everywhere. I think it will be a miracle if someone does not get killed by them one of these days. If you search YouTube for windmill failures and see what can happen, I wouldn’t want one anywhere near my house. Lots of videos of fires and towers collapsing and blades flying off. The large landowners pushed for them because of the money involved by placing them on their land. 

• Like 1

Not real close about 50 miles west of me. Several people fought against them and it put a lot of neighbors against neighbors. I hear there are still people over that way that won't speak a few of those turbines have been there close to 15 years.

Some people moved out over fears or spooked animal complaints. I don't know anyone with firsthand experience.

Local doctor that lives about 2-3 miles from where this was taken was one of the people that headed there not being wind towers out here. As he had one that was going to be by their house ( they had just gotten a new house built) after all that there will be five by his house…… I am believing with full confidence that since doc raised Cain the wind people thought “well look what we can do”

2 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

Not real close about 50 miles west of me. Several people fought against them and it put a lot of neighbors against neighbors. I hear there are still people over that way that won't speak a few of those turbines have been there close to 15 years.

Some people moved out over fears or spooked animal complaints. I don't know anyone with firsthand experience.

Sounds like what is happening out here too

Pretty controversial issue here in my county. Last year they put up 92 new ones, most within a 10 miles radius of town here. There were 27 of them put up in 2003 about 10 miles south of here....they're all still running so far. 

About 7-8 years ago, 4 cattle guys were killed when they were flying back from a cattle show in Texas. The fog was extremely thick, the pilot lowered his altitude, and they flew right into one of the 27 original ones. In all fairness, that wasn't the wind tower's fault....the pilot should have used better judgement.

Lot of these newer windmills were placed on land owned by absentee landowners. Just want the $$$ and don't have to deal with the negative effects.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SDman said:

Pretty controversial issue here in my county. Last year they put up 92 new ones, most within a 10 miles radius of town here. There were 27 of them put up in 2003 about 10 miles south of here....they're all still running so far. 

About 7-8 years ago, 4 cattle guys were killed when they were flying back from a cattle show in Texas. The fog was extremely thick, the pilot lowered his altitude, and they flew right into one of the 27 original ones. In all fairness, that wasn't the wind tower's fault....the pilot should have used better judgement.

Lot of these newer windmills were placed on land owned by absentee landowners. Just want the $$$ and don't have to deal with the negative effects.

74 are going in here in like a 15 mile radius. 

On the way to the field this morning dad had said how there is all this pasture or grass ground that nothing is on and these wind towers are going right by houses or in the middle of fields…… you should see some intersections that they widened

Example: in the 80 acre field we are in now. You can see the trench the did to the right and that left a little triangle of wheat to cut. 

54E6FD43-0B1E-4A94-B17B-4DAF127B1CBA.thumb.jpeg.1f37db540afffe2f66d0474682474908.jpeg

Several hundred 20 miles east of me on the edge of the Iowa wind corridor. All owned by Mid-American Energy...ie Warren Buffet (Berkshire Hathaway). At night if you look to the east it looks like Christmas. Nothing but red blinking lights on the horizon.

Agree with the comments about the absentee owners.

• Like 2

There were/are hundreds of them where I previously lived in central IL. They’ve been there probably about 15 years or more. After awhile you don’t really notice them too much, they blend in with grain elevators and cell towers. 
In north central Indiana west of Lafayette there are some big wind farms. On one stretch of road you’re looking out over the fields and see the big modern wind turbines and then there is an old farmstead with a traditional windmill. Interesting contrast that makes you think about the progress and changes in the last 100 years. I need to get a picture next time I’m out that way. 

54 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

great pix of the wheat harvest - they dumped a pot load of them up near my folks - they tried to fight them but big $$$ won out 

I should mention my dad and I help a friend with harvest so it is not our ground but regardless, there was one to go in his field and right by it was where he used to live, he still owns the field.The current owners that live on the farm property have been their about 7 years and they raised enough Cain about that tower being in the field so they did away with it. Therefore the guy we help won’t have the money from that one tower that would be on any of his land. 

I’m not the one getting the money but my perspective is still I wouldn’t want one a 1/4 mile from me. 

Ones near me are 300 foot diameter and the center of the rotor is about 80 meters off the ground. Many of them are constantly being worked on out of the 30 there . Around 10 years old 

We have two projects nearby in last couple years. Both seem 50/50 for or against. Many neighbors vs neighbors. I myself neither for nor against, just not a fan of how the went about it. First approval was for 300’ then up twice, I think final height was 500’ but setbacks were still set for the shorter ones. The first group the contractors that put them up were a**holes. Acted like they owned everything including the road. Second group musta been a different crew they went past my house and were very pleasant.   Closest one is about a mile turned on bout 2-3 months ago. No big beef with It so far

We saw a busted in half wind turbine tower out in the distance on a wind turbine farm from the highway, earlier this Spring during a trip down in the Rio Grand Valley in south Texas. Would like to know what transpired to cause that. Dang thing must have turned in to a run-away and threw a blade and the spinning imbalance broke the tower. Couldn’t see any wreckage on the ground from our vantage point from the road. There was a rise in the ground between us and the tower hiding the base. 

12 hours ago, IHhogfarmer said:

The fog was extremely thick, the pilot lowered his altitude, and they flew right into one of the 27 original ones. In all fairness, that wasn't the wind tower's fault....the pilot should have used better judgement.

In all fairness... I heard that the one tower they hit was the one that the red warning light had been non functional for 2 years......

Seems to me that was on the news at the time.

Mike

• Thanks 1

They are monuments to mans stupidity

• Like 3

I don't understand why they need to put them up in places were there wasn't a man made object in site.

You look out at a  mountain vista and they are running across the ridge line.

At night red blinking lights across the horizon there isn't even power in this area so there were no lights to be seen at night before.  

Such a shame  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikem said:

In all fairness... I heard that the one tower they hit was the one that the red warning light had been non functional for 2 years......

Seems to me that was on the news at the time.

Mike

https://www.argusleader.com/story/news/crime/2014/04/29/ntsb-focus-plane-flying-low-fatal-crash/8453365/

I remember that night well. That wind tower could have had a red light as bright as Rudolph's nose in the Christmas tale and it wouldn't have made any difference. I live just on the edge of town...you couldn't see any of the lights from town that night as the fog was pea-soup thick. This was completely a lack of good judgement on the part of the pilot...he should have known better. 

The whole problem was four young guys who had "get home-itis" after a business trip to Texas for a cattle show. One guy was the son of a cattle operation over by Ree Heights that does a lot of business with us.

Now...I will say those 27 towers on the original batch of wind towers have had complaints about their lights....but that wouldn't have made any difference that night. Unfortunately, four young men lost their lives that night due to a poor decision.

1 hour ago, cedar farm said:

They are monuments to mans stupidity

And they make quite a site when they self-destruct and burn!

• Like 1

I know a fairly large landowner who was neutral on the subject until he found out what it would do to his land valuation if he could even see a wind turbine from his property. 

Anyone thinking it will inject a lot of money into your local economy.

Do a little digging and find out where the money really goes. 

After the wind turbine has run it's life expectancy, about ten years, find out who is responsible for taking it down and returning the land to it's former state. 

I am sure it is different in your area, but find out. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

I know a fairly large landowner who was neutral on the subject until he found out what it would do to his land valuation if he could even see a wind turbine from his property. 

After the wind turbine has run it's life expectancy, about ten years, find out who is responsible for taking it down and returning the land to it's former state. 

There is that aspect too, and we were talking about this the other day. The people I had mentioned above that didn’t want a wind tower by then and got their wish, he is the superintendent at the school 5 miles away. The guy we help with harvest went to the board meeting and their is NO money coming in for the schools. I do understand the the county commissioners wanted these to boost economy. 

And yes, one day when they don’t work and nobody will work on them, who will take them down? Guaranteed not the ones that put them up…..

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

39 minutes ago, IHhogfarmer said:

There is that aspect too, and we were talking about this the other day. The people I had mentioned above that didn’t want a wind tower by then and got their wish, he is the superintendent at the school 5 miles away. The guy we help with harvest went to the board meeting and their is NO money coming in for the schools. I do understand the the county commissioners wanted these to boost economy. 

And yes, one day when they don’t work and nobody will work on them, who will take them down? Guaranteed not the ones that put them up…..

You guys are on the right track. We went through all of this 3-4 years ago. One of the county commissioners for our county works right beside me.....works on the yellow combines here at work. He had people visiting him daily about this wind farm when it was being proposed. He went along with the whole project because of the "economic development and all the tax revenues generated". Hardly any of the tax revenue generated stays local. All the economic benefit goes out of state...in the form of giant tax breaks to out of state utility companies because of "green investment".

One interesting thing that happened here when they got started with construction. It was written into the project that the contractors were responsible for maintaining all the roads from our major highways to the towers themselves.....all the gravel roads and the roads to the towers....referred to as "rope roads" here. The problem? All of the contractors were from Kansas/Oklahoma/Texas, and this project was started in October/November....just before winter. Once we started having our first blizzards, it soon became apparent that these contractors didn't own one piece of snow removal equipment....and this was on top of the fact that we had record precipitation in 2019, over twice our normal precipitation annually. The roads turned into a disaster...and they were bringing in tower pedestals right and left. Its not like you can put a tower pedestal for one of those big wind turbines just anywhere....they don't exactly stockpile with ease. They ended up having to hire our county road maintenance people and equipment to straighten out the roads to get the tower pedestals to where they were going to be raised eventually. Quite a mess.

I've tried to keep an open mind about the whole wind tower project here...but many around here aren't exactly happy about them as a whole.

• Like 2

Dont get me wrong we are signed up with a wind company lease, if it is going to be on the neighbors property and we have to look at it, might as well be paid for it. 

I have lots of reservations with them. The lack of electrical fusing any where except the bottom of the wind tower is a problem for me. The noise is also annoying, while you could get used to it, it defeat the purpose of living in the rural areas. The lights are annoying, but any of the newer wind farms around here have lights that are radar activated when an airplane is in the area, otherwise there are only a couple flashing. They destruction and tear down of these things scares me also. Locally they have made the wind companies front x amount of money for destruction and cleanup. We all know it wont be enough, but it's a start. 

As far as the economics of it, there are a lot of positives if done right.  Locally, they have to guarantee that the tax value will be held throughout the contract and cannot be reduced by an tax tribunal anywhere. Live and learn there. There are many out of state firms that build these, but they do employ some local contractors for the building phase and mostly locals doing the maintenance. Realistically there isnt a local firm that could handle the entire construction effort anyway. Without raising property taxes, there isnt another way to generate that kind of revenue at the township level. Locally the schools and townships have benefitted financially in big ways. The townships with them are improving and paving roads along with many other things like new fire and rescue equipment, while the townships without them are struggling greatly. 

I am not a proponent or opponent. I like the revenues without extra taxes and I have told the sweet talking salesmen a-holes to leave the property and to stop spreading false promises meant to get their project to go through, without a care over our local community. We have had one burn and a couple break and come apart within 50 miles of us. No one hurt as the set backs did their job, the mess cleaned up and the towers all were repaired and returned to functional. 

I am not looking to convince anyone one way or the other, I am only shedding light on what we have seen. I can see the good and the bad,  nothing is perfect. Not saying everybody needs them, also can see that they have a place. Grandpa said it reminded him of the fight against electricity coming through in the late 1930's, where would be if the blow hards won on that one?

• Like 1