We're getting close, start practicing and getting ready

Already getting pumped for deer season this year. This will be my first year hunting deer with a bow. I have no idea why I havnt been doing it for 20 years already but I spose I never new others who did it to get me into it. In 1 year I went through 3 bows and 4 sights and 3 releases to really find what works for me and fits me. I ended with a hout ventum 33 with 80lb draw and abb strings. I ordered a spot hogg fast eddie 3 pin sight so I can have 20 30 and 40 yard pins for hunting and also the slider for out to 100 yards. Shoots 550g arrows at 293fps and a cut on contact solid broadhead. I have 3 targets and I have been going in several set ups to practice,  I have a rolling 17foot stand I practice from and even the deer wagon stand. Since I have no experience I need to put myself in as many situations as possible to get ready. So far I have archery tag, the city of New ulm hunt wich is 2 tags , the camp riply hunt, slug season and probably won't do muzzle loader. Been learning alot from the show "the hunting public" and "ranch fairy" I'm sure I would have went out like an idiot not know a thing if I havnt watched so much of there stuff. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

There should be plenty to shoot, at least in Northern Illinois. I’ve never seen so many fawns and seen some does with twins crossing roads.

Well that will be good shooting in 3 to 4 years.

25 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Not where I’m at bow and arrow only cars get most of them.

I mean it will be 3 to 4 years before them fawns are big enough to shoot

1 minute ago, Rusty shackleford said:

I mean it will be 3 to 4 years before them fawns are big enough to shoot

Oh I know just cars and semis are the best hunters here in suburbia....

• Like 2

Hung up my bow years ago when I didn’t have time to go like I wanted with wife/family. Still fun and very enjoyable. Always shot a 1 pin sight and could hit easily from 20-40yds. That was before range finders. It’s good to practice from an elevated spot (like you mentioned) but I would consider shooting from a kneeling position, sitting, standing, etc... just to get used to strange positions. You won’t actually shoot at a deer most likely while seated but it teaches you to sight the same no matter what position your body is in. We shot with things in our way to watch out for, even had people sneak up on you and trip your release to practice at always being on target when the bow was drawn. Normally shot all summer at targets, inside and out. Not gospel by any means, just things that came to mind that I feel made me better at adapting to each situation. The biggest buck I ever shot with a bow was running by me chasing a doe and wouldn’t stop so I shot him on the run.

DF9DF00A-E99E-4A54-A81E-3F9A3425C4B6.jpeg

• Like 4

Bad shoulders won't allow me to draw a bow and since the boys left home opening morning doesn't hold the allure it once did.

But whenever I am out, my eyes are always on the look. So are the dogs?.

Love watching them develop.

Here a young guy that will be promising in a year or two.

IMG_20210704_074649412.thumb.jpg.4fde1a77c0b8277263b908ea06278b5f.jpg

IMG_20210704_074649412.jpg

• Like 3