Ah yes, back to normal.........Chinese buy SK Tools

The Chinese build high quality through low quality things.

We think about the cheap crap coming out of China. But remember they have the largest military in the world including nuclear weapons and intercontinental ballistic missiles. They have an active space program and are building their own space station, the core of which is already in space.

Try to buy a computer or smartphone without Chinese parts!

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 11:37 AM, Cdfarabaugh said:

What really peeves me with snap on is their cordless power tools are made in china but designed in n.v the US.  Told my snap on guy ill NEVER spend the stupid money on their cordless garbage.  

And the only way to get a Snap-On fixed is thru the company.

No parts are available.

I'll pass.

11 hours ago, Eason said:

The chinese didn't buy Visegrips. They just make them.

They are still junk. 

8 hours ago, kal said:

They are still junk. 

Very True!!

I just looked at a set of SK sockets I bought new two years ago. Six point impact swivel a great set.

Then I noticed the multiple warnings stamped into the alloy steel telling me not to do stupid things with the tool because in America if you do something stupid enough' you can sue for a ton of money.

Stamping all that crap into a small round socket made of extra tough steel is an expensive step in mfg.  The warning is likely a Gov mandate.

You can"t even see the side of a ladder any more for all the don't be stupid stickers

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A lot of the Chinse vendors we deal with need to have their hand held at all times or you get discrepant parts

i.e. they don't have established QA tactics, they will use a GO NO GO until it is worn out not checking the gage periodically to make sure it is still in spec.

Lots of people complain about the low quality of imported low cost stuff, and then turn around and complain about the high cost of American made stuff.  Hard to get low price and high quality made in the USA.

Sorry to see the SK name move offshore, but I for one can not find a local dealer to buy them from, or to get warranty claims honored. To me that makes it no different than offshore already so I stick with Snap On, i can find a dealer, they are USA made, and I can get my warranty honored, and yes that costs me more, but it is available 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, just Dave said:

You can"t even see the side of a ladder any more for all the don't be stupid stickers

Or, have to cut up and replace a perfectly good ladder because it doesn't have the stickers on it.  

As far as S-K tools, the last local seller here went under over 20 years ago. I didn't even know they were still being sold anywhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AKwelder said:

Lots of people complain about the low quality of imported low cost stuff, and then turn around and complain about the high cost of American made stuff.  Hard to get low price and high quality made in the USA.

I thought SK was priced very well for what you got...............which was quality made here.  

I don't agree wth you on snap on, alot of that is off-shored and all your buying is the name.  I got Snap On punches here from Spain for example...........Also, you have to deal with a dealer, and if you aren't buying every week, I seen alot get jerked around by them.  I got through my brother who buys all the time, but if I had to deal directly I bet I would have that issue.

• Like 2

Flippin flappin bucket of broken bolts, tried to quote a post and failed......?

On 7/17/2021 at 5:58 PM, kal said:

One example of Chinese buyout is visegrips. After the Chinese bought them they are junk.

The chinese didn't buy Visegrips. They just make them.

Newell Rubbermaid owns the Vise-Grip brand. A plant employee said managers were in meetings Wednesday and not available to comment. About 300 people work at the plant, which for decades has anchored the southeast Nebraska town of DeWitt, population 572.Sep 3, 2008

William Petersen was a Danish immigrant who invented the first locking pliers in his blacksmith shop, and began selling them from the trunk of his car to farmers and people in surrounding towns. He patented his new idea and called it Vise-Grip. patented 1924

• Like 2

On 7/17/2021 at 7:58 PM, kal said:

One example of Chinese buyout is visegrips. After the Chinese bought them they are junk.

didn't know that, luckily every pair I have are the originals US ones. 

On 7/18/2021 at 12:27 PM, TP from Central PA said:

but what about the half gallon you just spilled on the ground trying to get the stupid nozzle to work...

Most of my cans are stamped 1953 with the exception of a couple of small ones for chainsaw fuel and blue plastic kerosene cans.

Yeah, the stupid safety nozzles are a royal PITA! I found that I could cut some of the two hand plastic off the 2.5 and 1 gallon ones and make them more user friendly, in fact better for chainsaw use than the old rubber spout cans.

A big steel fuel tank funnel and 20 liter cans work great for my gas tractors.

• Like 1

Who knows how it will go now, but my local Carquest is a dealer for SK stuff. If I break a gearset in a ratchet, I can take the new parts with me and do it myself if I need it right away, which is what I always do, or I can leave it there and their rep will get it and fix it his next time around, which usually is about every 3 weeks. I broke the housing around the head where the gears are on my long handle half inch ratchet and they just handed me a new ratchets, said it was warranty and they would give it to their rep to take care of. 

I see a lot of articles lately about the Chinese loaning money to poor nations with ridiculous terms, "debt traps" if you will, to places that have valuable resources, lumber, ports, precious metals. If the country can't pay it back, the Chinese can assume control over the resources or area per their agreement until they are fully compensated in their eyes (never).

4 hours ago, sandhiller said:
Newell Rubbermaid owns the Vise-Grip brand. A plant employee said managers were in meetings Wednesday and not available to comment. About 300 people work at the plant, which for decades has anchored the southeast Nebraska town of DeWitt, population 572.Sep 3, 2008

i grew up buying stuff from V-G because a bunch of my family settled around DeWitt and we used to go there pheasant hunting annually. It was a wonderful time in CZECH land. Good Ole Wilber Rye, Wilber Wieners, Fairbury summer sausage. Small town america and family are what made products good. We gave a ripp back then, now days that is a harder thing to find in products. 

The Dewitt VG plant was outsourced to China and they all lost their jobs. BUT WAIT!!!!

The GREAT NEWS IS you need to buy some of these - DeWitt is back up/running and making tools. 

https://omaha.com/business/local/a-town-renewed-factory-in-tiny-dewitt-nebraska-putting-tools-on-the-market-again/article_2f96054c-a920-11eb-b477-bbba05fa8c5a.html

https://www.eaglegripusa.com/product_cat/locking-pliers/

https://www.eaglegripusa.com/product_cat/clamps/

• Like 1

My Dad had/s a 3/8” socket set in the green metal box probably almost 50 years old, can’t say using in my youth I was astounded by exceptional quality, remember the round knurled handle, I bought a big craftsman socket set with pliers and screwdrivers and gray wrenches, still have all except most screwdrivers, this would be late 70’s

I do like the looks of their combination wrenches with the contoured box end

Seems to be there are not that many things made in the USA anymore and less and less almost daily. Chinklandistan won't have to go to war to conquer us they will simply buy everything we got, including military bases and farmland. They already own the gubmint. At the rate the giveaway program of the US is going it won't be but a few more years and there won't be anything made here but babies, and increasingly there being "Made in Mexico". 

184085548_ToolsmadeinUSA.thumb.jpg.c23fe8b52fb26dd82e0a852c279eb5a8.jpg

You can still get a few tools made in the USA: An 1 1/4" socket cut in half years ago to make the flare nut wrench with fixed extension. Last week two punches with replaceable grade 8 bolts for tips, for the brake pins on my crawler. I hate ruining my good pin punches on rusty gold. Two days ago the other half of the socket became a flat blade screw driver socket to remove a badly stuck yoke pivot point bolt (shown) without a scar on the slot and yesterday a broken SK 15mm 6 point got pressed and welded into a hex nut so I could get the 5/8" heads, that had rusted to a smaller size, loose on my steering clutch back plates.

Oh and the the little blocky  piece is a two stage sizing die I made to neck down one of my injector lines a few thousandths so it would fit a Tiny Tach pickup.

Just a few of many

The little scrap of D2 in the saw there is the blade in the screwdriver socket.

• Like 1

Another S-K tool that has served me well since the 1970s, a 12 inch adjustable. Bought it at McKinght’s IH in Elwood, IN when I hadn’t worked there very long. It has been in my work tool box ever since.

A920BACA-8E71-4168-954B-BE274AEE1DC2.jpeg