Ah yes, back to normal.........Chinese buy SK Tools

43 minutes ago, mike newman said:

....so with that sad news......the bulk of a  1/4  ""     to 3/4 ""      Sherman Klove     set of sockets and  tools including set spanners...that my Dad brought  about 70 years ago.....(when he brought a new Allis Chalmers   HD5   Crawler...)..becomes even more precious......There are very few of the original  sockets missing ....maybe half a dozen at most ..replaced with    "William's "  products , from Georgia.....

Mike

I have still got a set of SK spanners I bought new when I started my apprenticeship in 1968, they were used every day for fifteen years and regularly ever since. They are still in great condition. 

• Like 1

https://usamadeproducts.biz/
not a perfect list but I’ve gone to this site often. Everything from kitchen utensils to air compressors. Last time I looked it didn’t give as much detail about the companies as it used to. Looked quick at hand tools a minute ago saw proto, crescent and a few others as American made. Sometimes they give foreign owned but American made sometimes it lists American made with foreign components. Like I said not perfect but always worth a look. 

The start of my tool collection was a mechanic's assortment of Wright sockets and combination wrenches I bought myself for Christmas about 1972, year I started college,  Dad had moved his whole shop to the new farm a half mile away, just about impossible to find ANYTHING.  The original ratchets were quickly replaced with Craftsman ratchets & breaker bars. 49 years later I've only broken ONE Wright socket, 3/4" deep well 1/2" drive part of that original set,  I saved it, and about 1996 it became the start of my fuel filter wrench for my PSD, SON's still using it! Still have all the combination wrenches, forget what the screwdrivers were like in that set, but were poor,  been looking for a good set for 49 years now. I did buy a Stanley square shaft straight blade screwdriver that I've chiseled with, scraped gaskets, pryed stuff, still the best screwdriver I own.  I've bought several Craftsman socket and combination wrench sets since, Son & I would work on BIG projects and when we couldn't find the right wrench we had out we'd grab another one from the drawer.

SON worked at a shop for ten years that supplied Snap-on hand tools, and has become a "Tool Nazi" everything he has is mostly S-O, a few MAC, and Milwakee cordless. S-O is a nice tool, I went to college in S-O's home-town, Kenosha, Wi.  Good friend was recruited out of college to S-O I think, maybe it was Jockey.

SETH - I can understand your comment to TP, and I'm probably guilty as much or more than TP is. My Dad spent 3 years slogging around in the mud, the gluck, and the blood of the China-Burma-India theater of WW-2.  The CHINESE never have been our friends, never will be our friends, and are NEVER to be trusted regardless of whatever they say. Luckily Dad made it home safe, married Mom, and the rest is history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Clark’s Tool

I'll try them next time I need a repair kit for my SK ratchet.  Epstein's tool down town was the last to turn me down on SK, said they weren't being credited so they could not warranty them any more. The SK 3\8 dr 6pt deep sockets have served me well since my teen years and I know I was hard on things back then.

My Bro in law retired from a Ford truck assembly plant, and he took me on a tour one holiday,back in the 90s, when they were shut down for maintenance. You could see Mexico stickers all over the pallets of parts and the robots putting them together were Kawasaki's. I  didn't notice the hand tools used .

If a man wanted to build tools in America today he would have to get his machinery and moreover the precious steel alloys from a foreign country, and unless he can spec it all out himself and set up the machines . there is a good chance you will need to hire a foreigner to be your Toolmaker.

I have tried to turn a few good men into Toolmakers/Machinists very few can take the time to be that committed to something they can't even see without a micrometer. We just don't teach that kind of discipline in America anymore.

6 hours ago, mike newman said:

1/4  ""     to 3/4 ""      Sherman Klove 

Hey Mike where did they make your tools.

1 hour ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

SETH - I can understand your comment to TP, and I'm probably guilty as much or more than TP is. My Dad spent 3 years slogging around in the mud, the gluck, and the blood of the China-Burma-India theater of WW-2.  The CHINESE never have been our friends, never will be our friends, and are NEVER to be trusted regardless of whatever they say. Luckily Dad made it home safe, married Mom, and the rest is history.

I am not guilty of anything...........Other than hating our powerful class in this country selling our A$$es out for a buck for decades and decades.  One thing about the far east, they understand having what they need for themselves is IMPORTANT..............Dumb A$$es here in charge only believe the stack of cash is important.  One day..............That will change

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, just Dave said:

I have tried to turn a few good men into Toolmakers/Machinists very few can take the time to be that committed to something they can't even see without a micrometer. We just don't teach that kind of discipline in America anymore.

I was in a whole big class full..................When you get out and weren't making $14/hr to build it, and could make $25/hr to repair it, something was wrong................Obviously you could count on one hand how many stayed in the Machinist field.  I have bounced in and out of it over the years...............Always the same story but atleast the last shop I worked at there was hope out there, they were NOT getting out bid not by foreigners, but American's who understood how to run CNC equipment to its full potential..........Most old head shop owners do not have any clue about CNC efficiency IMO and my generation who understands that stuff are baffoon Nubes............

14 hours ago, kal said:

One example of Chinese buyout is visegrips. After the Chinese bought them they are junk.

The chinese didn't buy Visegrips. They just make them.

The Chinese buy a good brand name so they can peddle their cheep products on the unsuspecting who don't know.

would you buy a tool with a Chinese name? likely not 

This stuff is made 60% coal fired electric and in some cases with forced labor.

Not good for anyone but the Chinese 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

Dumb A$$es here in charge only believe the stack of cash is important.

Ture

They have it and they don't care if your job went poof  

19 hours ago, SDman said:

Its funny, but I've probably owned or used nearly 2 dozen 1/2" drive ratchets through all of my years as a tech....but I've just never been able to replace the "feel" of the 1/2" SK ratchet that my Dad had for all those years growing up on the farm. Pretty sure he bought it from our IH dealer back in the day. I just always like the finely-knurled handles on SK ratchets that allowed you to get a good grip on the ratchet regardless of how much dirt/grease/grime you had on your hands....its never been duplicated by anybody else. Sure you can grip a Snap-On, Matco, Craftsman, whatever ratchet just fine when everything is clean, but its so hard to get a good grip on an oily ratchet with greasy hands.

Every time I see someone comment about Chinese tools and their quality(or lack of), I'm always reminded of a quote a custom cutter told me years ago..."makes you wonder....what do the Chinese actually use for tools?"

Still have some S-K ratchets floating around. 

ED536E7C-1A82-47D2-A5FE-ACDABF57F59E.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

One day..............That will change

Probably be too late by then and we'll be living like they do in Cuba or Venezuela.

I said this back in January. The Chinese are practicing Colonialism on us. When all the Europeans were getting Colonies. What were they after? Raw materials and a market to sell their products to. What are the Chinese after? Raw materials and a place to sell their stuff. We're becoming a defacto Chinese colony. They're just doing it with money instead of armies. 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I really was just busting on him, I detest poor quality Chinese tools as much as the next person. 

I am concerned about who holds the note on the few trillion we are in debt for. I think were up to about 10% of our pie goes to interest payments to..... ?

13 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I really was just busting on him, I detest poor quality Chinese tools as much as the next person. 

I detest poor quality anything from there..............and while they could build good stuff, they don't have any reason to, we suck up their junk like a vacuum cleaner as is........

If something lasts 20 years you likely only buy one in 20 years 

If that something you buy only last 5 years you end up buying 3 more in that 20 years

In the name of saving planet we need to establish some rules on what is an acceptable lifetime of a product sold 

6 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

If something lasts 20 years you likely only buy one in 20 years 

If that something you buy only last 5 years you end up buying 3 more in that 20 years

I the name of saving planet we need to establish some rules on what is an acceptable lifetime of a product sold 

Rules?  In these times?  Seriously?  This is the primary reason as to why society and therefore humanity is failing. Most people feel that they do not have to abide by rules.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 766 Man said:

Rules?  In these times?  Seriously?  This is the primary reason as to why society and therefore humanity is failing. Most people feel that they do not have to abide by rules.  

No, just lack of common sense brain power..................perfect example..............gas cans...............Lets save the planet with a safety can keeping the vapor in the fuel tank, idea sounds good, but what about the half gallon you just spilled on the ground trying to get the stupid nozzle to work...................Don't worry about that............

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have lots of SK in our shop. This just plain sucks. I will say the warranty has gone down the drain the past ten years. We used to have a huge SK guy in central Iowa. Had every tool in the store. No matter what we broke, he always handed us a new one out of the bin. I miss those days. I guess the SK hunt at auctions will be even greater for us now. We still really like all our SK tools.

On 7/17/2021 at 12:37 PM, Cdfarabaugh said:

What really peeves me with snap on is their cordless power tools are made in china but designed in n.v the US.  Told my snap on guy ill NEVER spend the stupid money on their cordless garbage.  

I am friends with a guy who was an executive with Snap-On for some time. He might be an even bigger snob than I am about American Manufacturing. He has made his fortune (and I mean a fortune) in the manufacturing industry in the United States and believes in it to the core. He could afford a ferrari, but won't buy anything not made by Americans. I say that to give you a perspective on the guy. He's kind of one of my inspirations. He once resigned an executive position (not at Snap-On) on the spot when he was informed a plant would be moving to China. They offered him a huge bonus to facilitate the move. He resigned without a safe harbor at the time because he felt it was just plain wrong.

With that said, I asked him once about Snap-On power tools and the Chinese componentry. He informed me that it's just an unfortunate reality that the small electric motors are plainly not made in the US. Sucks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

trying to get the stupid nozzle to work...................Don't worry about that............

They are making the company that sells the old style nozzle when the new style threads a ton of money 

2 hours ago, KWRB said:

With that said, I asked him once about Snap-On power tools and the Chinese componentry. He informed me that it's just an unfortunate reality that the small electric motors are plainly not made in the US. Sucks.

Sad we need to have the capability as a matter of national defense with all the robotic equipment needed in todays world

If we made everything we consume we could control the emissions output 

The chinse motors we use at work suck last 2-3 years max and the German stuff ain't much better likely made with parts from China.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

I detest poor quality anything from there..............and while they could build good stuff, they don't have any reason to, we suck up their junk like a vacuum cleaner as is........

I know everyone blames the Chinese for poor quality (insert item here, whatever it may be). But I blame the problems back to our side of the Pacific Ocean....usually when there is a complaint about a poor quality Chinese-produced item, it usually comes back to the fact that an American corporation spec'd the poor quality to begin with...the Chinese were just building what we(as in American corporations) wanted over here. Many times you can't blame them...they were just following orders. As Americans, we allowed the "disposable/throw-away society" to happen. Can't blame the Chinese for that, unfortunately.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SDman said:

I know everyone blames the Chinese for poor quality (insert item here, whatever it may be). But I blame the problems back to our side of the Pacific Ocean....usually when there is a complaint about a poor quality Chinese-produced item, it usually comes back to the fact that an American corporation spec'd the poor quality to begin with...the Chinese were just building what we(as in American corporations) wanted over here. Many times you can't blame them...they were just following orders. As Americans, we allowed the "disposable/throw-away society" to happen. Can't blame the Chinese for that, unfortunately.

Yes, I know...........goes back to the who I hate up the page................

With that said, local company outsourced parts to the chinese from a shop I worked at..............part blanks were run on a CNC machine but an operator had to be running QC checks on the parts often or they would go on a no go gauge which meant scrap.  I would run my manual machines and that CNC machining center was my baby................Had limited parts scrapped in the course of a year running it daily and hardly no junk parts made it into the "Good" bins.  Well because of the Chinks, my job was reduced hour wise, then toasted.................I did keep tabs there and found out later from my supervisor the Chinks ran those parts on the first run, had a high scrap rate(Company provided the blanks to machine) and on top of that parts came back that should have been scrapped but weren't...................Not being acceptable, managment turned the screws down on them and run #2 had lower scrap numbers, but guess what, the number that should have been scrapped went UP!  Not down..................By the 3rd run they had a magnifying glass on them.  That time scrap numbers were out the roof, but they did get "Finished" parts back that were truely right.  By this point I was told the company gave up and brought production back to a shop here in the states somewhere, but it was not the shop I worked at.  So while you might have a point about our companys wanting the junk might me true, it also might be true that the Chinese might not be up to the task on certain things.  I do not know.  

What I do know is loosing a job to them that you gave your all too is a kick in the teeth..................

9 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

My Dad spent 3 years slogging around in the mud, the gluck, and the blood of the China-Burma-India theater of WW-2.  The CHINESE never have been our friends, never will be our friends, and are NEVER to be trusted regardless of whatever they say. Luckily Dad made it home safe, married Mom, and the rest is history.

My current bathroom reader is the CBI volume of Time-Life WWII series.  Your dad had to be one tough guy to get through that.  Sounds like anyone who served under Vinegar Joe had to be a tough hombre.

And yes, it appears the Chinese (at least the governmental leaders) have always been pretty duplicitous.