Farmall SuperM vs Oliver Super77D Puller

My dad and I are looking at these two at an upcoming auction. Which one would be the better out of the two for out of the field class. Keep in mind the 5500-7000 pound classes by far have the most competition. If we got the 77D I was wondering if a guy could slip that into the 4500 pound class

Usually anything early diesel is like that is going to get walked all over by a good built gas engine. I tried pulling a diesel a 560 diesel, and the good tuned up gas engines would still get a 5-10' lead on me. You could get the oli down to 4500, but you wouldn't have much weight to spare to move around without some pressed steel rims on the back. 

The super m, is going to be a good viable choice. It has literally everything available aftermarket, and literally everyone has an engine combination to get more power and cubic inches. Lot of junk yard parts can be sourced for more power. Can get an m pretty light too if you take the right off. 

• Thanks 1

Just my opinion but I think the gas engine tractors from that era on average lugged a little better so the Super M.  The Oliver is a fine machine in many respects.  Might want to ask on a site such as Yesterday's Tractors where they have a contingent of Oliver guys for advice.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 766 Man said:

Just my opinion but I think the gas engine tractors from that era on average lugged a little better so the Super M.  The Oliver is a fine machine in many respects.  Might want to ask on a site such as Yesterday's Tractors where they have a contingent of Oliver guys for advice.

I thought maybe the Oliver would be more fun to pull since there are very few around here and I like Ms but there are so many pulling in the area that you're not really adding anything. I hesitate to ask anything on YT because when you ask a question comparing these two brands it seams like you eventually get comments about the TA being junk. This forum seams less biased

16 minutes ago, Farmer in training said:

I thought maybe the Oliver would be more fun to pull since there are very few around here and I like Ms but there are so many pulling in the area that you're not really adding anything. I hesitate to ask anything on YT because when you ask a question comparing these two brands it seams like you eventually get comments about the TA being junk. This forum seams less biased

I would just ask on the Oliver board there and just make it about the S77.  Honestly, I don't think the two sites (RP & YT) are that much different in terms of bias.  Both places have a few guys who are blindly partial to one brand.  

• Thanks 1

I had a 77 diesel and an M both bone stock, in a pure lugging contest, the M had nothing on that I6 diesel. 

9 minutes ago, FRF said:

I had a 77 diesel and an M both bone stock, in a pure lugging contest, the M had nothing on that I6 diesel. 

About like the comment, "Nothing stock about a stock car"...............same could be said for a tractor going to a pull.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1