John Deere 8820 crazy price and some Ihc sale prices.

dale560

10 minutes ago, SDman said:

Maybe the corn head was a prototype that never reached production? Not sure, but I know several of the guys that worked there at the time and they all talked about what a big machine the White was in irrigated corn. I'm not really even sure if the operation ever bought the White...or if they just got to use it one fall for practically nothing on White's behalf. This would have been 1981 or so....wasn't too long after the White Harvest Boss rotary came out. Pretty sure they had an N7 Gleaner at the same time as well. They had 90 irrigation pivot circles of corn at that place at the time...plenty of irrigated corn for several combines to harvest.

I can sure remember when the Gleaner N series came out in 1979; Gleaner was a very big player in the custom cutter business from 1979 to 1981 with the new N series rotaries. After about 1982, the N series Gleaners really disappeared from the custom cutter trail....just as the 1460/80 Axial-Flows were really starting to be popular with custom cutters. Since then, you see a few Gleaners here or there on the custom cutter trail...but nothing like they used to be.

One of my now deceased neighbors had a brother who worked at the Gleaner factory in Independence as an engineer. He had many stories of how the bean counters were doing their level best to destroy the Gleaner name in the late seventies. He said there were constant battles because they would design something and then they couldn’t get the go ahead because it was deemed too expensive. He said they were constantly told to source parts that they knew wouldn’t work and to build things so light that they knew they would fail. When they told the people in charge that it wouldn’t work they told them to do it anyway. His main problem was that they were sourcing poorly made parts from Mexico. He got out right about the time the N series was coming out and was glad to be done. I wish I would have had a chance to tour that factory before it closed since it was so close to me. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

According to this White never did.  https://www.thecombineforum.com/threads/re-why-no-12-row.7824/

But that doesn't mean someone could have grafted one on.  Somewhere on the internet somebody did a project of installing a Cummins 903 into 9700 or similar combine.  

Was an article in farm show magazine about a guy 25 miles away from us that put a 903 into either a white rotary. They do a bit of local custom harvesting but have a variety of jd 9600 and Massey or agco rotary combines setting around.

4 hours ago, dale560 said:

Was an article in farm show magazine about a guy 25 miles away from us that put a 903 into either a white rotary. They do a bit of local custom harvesting but have a variety of jd 9600 and Massey or agco rotary combines setting around.

Is that Helland Harvesting....from Anamoose, ND? I remember those guys well in the 1980s as they custom harvested around here.

I first remember them harvesting with Super 92 Masseys.....this was in the early/mid 1980s when most custom cutters were running 750/60 or 850/60 Masseys if they ran MFs. They had cabs with AC....and I want to say they had a 354 Perkins cobbled into them IIRC? They were beyond unusual to see something like that in the same field as a 77/8820, 1460/1480, L2/N5/N6/N7, but they did custom combining with those machines for years.

Years later I thought they had "moved up" in the world to 760s or 860s....and supposedly had retrofitted one or more of them with 903 Cummins engines in place of the V8 Perkins they originally came with?

39 minutes ago, SDman said:

Is that Helland Harvesting....from Anamoose, ND? I remember those guys well in the 1980s as they custom harvested around here.

I first remember them harvesting with Super 92 Masseys.....this was in the early/mid 1980s when most custom cutters were running 750/60 or 850/60 Masseys if they ran MFs. They had cabs with AC....and I want to say they had a 354 Perkins cobbled into them IIRC? They were beyond unusual to see something like that in the same field as a 77/8820, 1460/1480, L2/N5/N6/N7, but they did custom combining with those machines for years.

Years later I thought they had "moved up" in the world to 760s or 860s....and supposedly had retrofitted one or more of them with 903 Cummins engines in place of the V8 Perkins they originally came with?

Yes it was Helland. I forgot about their 92 and 510 Massey’s. He also found and bought/ rebuilt the first 750 Massey sitting in a tree row down in Kansas.  They were always swapping engines into everything they had. SD you mentioned gleaners and Isom  harvesting out of Kansas used to be in area seems they followed hwy 3 /83 North. They had gray black trucks and gleaner rotary.

45 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Yes it was Helland. I forgot about their 92 and 510 Massey’s. He also found and bought/ rebuilt the first 750 Massey sitting in a tree row down in Kansas.  They were always swapping engines into everything they had. SD you mentioned gleaners and Isom  harvesting out of Kansas used to be in area seems they followed hwy 3 /83 North. They had gray black trucks and gleaner rotary.

Forgot about their 510s....you are right, they had them for awhile as well. I can remember they were looking at a nice 1680 Cummins-engined combine we had on the lot back in the mid 1990s. They knew all about the problems of the high engine RPMs of those 8.3Ls in the later 1680s. They were going to redo the PTO gearbox with the 1688 gear ratio to slow the engine down, have the injection pump recalibrated to 1688 specs, and have someone rebuild the hydrostatic pump so that it put out the same GPM as a 1688 hydro....typical stuff that those guys do whenever they redid any of their Masseys. In the end, the deal fell through so none of this ever happened.

The name of the Gleaner custom cutter doesn't ring a bell to me, but there used to be so many custom cutters that traveled from Texas to Canada every year back then. Now....you hardly see anybody on the CC trail. The ones I remember were Kuder Bros(sp?) and Tom Snell Harvesting from Ellinwood, Kansas. I think Snell has been a green guy ever since John Deere came out with the STS machines in 2000 or so. I'm sure I can come up with more names if I stop and think for awhile.

33 minutes ago, Sresites said:

I got sidetracked this morning and completely forgot about this auction near me. A 7250 went for $16,000. Gosh, I can hate myself at times. 

https://mulrooneyauction.hibid.com/lot/95855665/case-ih-7250-tractor-s-n-jj40062395?cpage=2

Wow, I wouldn't turn down parking another Magnum here at that price.................Haven't seen any southern bells come across my puter lately in that condition close to that price..............year and a half ago, yup............but not lately

23 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

One of my now deceased neighbors had a brother who worked at the Gleaner factory in Independence as an engineer. He had many stories of how the bean counters were doing their level best to destroy the Gleaner name in the late seventies. He said there were constant battles because they would design something and then they couldn’t get the go ahead because it was deemed too expensive. He said they were constantly told to source parts that they knew wouldn’t work and to build things so light that they knew they would fail. When they told the people in charge that it wouldn’t work they told them to do it anyway. His main problem was that they were sourcing poorly made parts from Mexico. He got out right about the time the N series was coming out and was glad to be done. I wish I would have had a chance to tour that factory before it closed since it was so close to me. 

That's believable seeing how the N series completely sunk Gleaner