CAFOs. WADA u think?

MTO

Is bureaucratic designation, nothing more.  Really has little connection to the quality of animal husbandry involved.  And there are some of the most bizarre twists in the rules involves with CAFOs and the term “confinement”.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not a fan .Really hard on the small producers here they tend to be foreign owned animals and imported help from the far south. Missouri has chosen to invite them in and remove the counties ability to fight them off. Similar to inviting Walmart and Lowes to your small town to wipe out the little guys.

• Confused 1

For the most part the conglomerates aren't terribly popular.  However if you look closely at the current or proposed definitions, more of us little guys fall into the same category than you might think.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nc1112 said:

For the most part the conglomerates aren't terribly popular.  However if you look closely at the current or proposed definitions, more of us little guys fall into the same category than you might think.

Most of today's "family farms" are considered CAFO's. Not very many small guys left. The ones who are have off-farm jobs to support their habit. Very few small farms can support a family. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Don't even get me started on that pail of worms!

its been a fiasco here, lawsuits, horrible odors, tried to increase to a 6999 head operation vs 999 operating license. Owners falsified docs to get permits, judges shut them down for a bit, then they opened back up, problems with run off, problems with the waste and disposal of animals, killing fines from mistreating animals, absorption issues from waste penetrating the soil types/limestone and getting into the water sources. Its not been pretty. LARGE multimillion dollar Botanical Garden 2.5 miles east of them. Decreasing their customers and affecting their experience. WHY? west winds.......

Families north of the property have filed suits due to affecting their standard of living and all the flies, odors, so intense they cant go outside. 

the owners finally sold out to a attorney that owns another CAFO and has been thru the drill. They put in a security guard to enter/exit the property 24/7. Drone suits filed, been sad to watch. It is only 2 miles from town of 1500 people and heavily populated because we are only 15 miles from MAJOR city here. 

I am not opposed to them per say but I would agree they need to be put in places where population is not in abundance. 

They are processing 24/7 - last I heard was 100 to 150/day and bringing in truckloads daily to keep their 5 to 6 week finishing cycle on the 999 cap full. 

The bigger issue at least here in NY is general land use issues and chemical use.  Thanks to some stupid people who do not know how to read instructions or don't care dicamba is practically not allowed for use other than a tiny window in June.  Then there is the hysteria over glyphosate.  Attrazine is banned altogether and many other chemicals have extreme restrictions.  If chemicals keep getting banned or restricted it will have the effect of eliminating a lot of row crops to plant and harvest here in NY.  I honestly do not believe those in power here in NY care if farmers survive and no doubt many would just as soon see farmers go as an act of jealousy.  They would not be so jealous if they went to the mailbox everyday to see the bills that we pay.  

40 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

The bigger issue at least here in NY is general land use issues and chemical use.  Thanks to some stupid people who do not know how to read instructions or don't care dicamba is practically not allowed for use other than a tiny window in June.  Then there is the hysteria over glyphosate.  Attrazine is banned altogether and many other chemicals have extreme restrictions.  If chemicals keep getting banned or restricted it will have the effect of eliminating a lot of row crops to plant and harvest here in NY.  I honestly do not believe those in power here in NY care if farmers survive and no doubt many would just as soon see farmers go as an act of jealousy.  They would not be so jealous if they went to the mailbox everyday to see the bills that we pay.  

Since when is Atrazine banned in NY? I sprayed about 600 gallons of it this spring so I don’t think so. Dicamba is same way, yes there is a June cutoff date but prior to that no. 
Very few operations here that are not CAFO’s, and they are not owned by big corporations, they are family operations. I can see 4 CAFO’s from my living room window and it does not decrease my quality of life one bit. Don’t lump all CAFO’s into one group. Just like everything, there is good and bad

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ChrisNY said:

Since when is Atrazine banned in NY? I sprayed about 600 gallons of it this spring so I don’t think so. Dicamba is same way, yes there is a June cutoff date but prior to that no. 
Very few operations here that are not CAFO’s, and they are not owned by big corporations, they are family operations. I can see 4 CAFO’s from my living room window and it does not decrease my quality of life one bit. Don’t lump all CAFO’s into one group. Just like everything, there is good and bad

I've seen it listed as do not ship to NY by Keystone Pesticides plus other sources.  Most likely an error by these sites I look at but I will check into for the sake of accuracy.  In terms of dicamba it only matters when the crop growing season starts so the window is small if you are not spraying by mid-June at the earliest.  In 2020 most soybeans around here did not get planted until June so if the restriction existed in 2020 dicamba would have not been available for the most probable spray period which would have been July.  For a pre-plant burndown 2-4D is the most prescribed chemical to get after broadleaf plants so really no dicamba sprayed before late May at least around here and allowing for an early planting season.  My central point remains that our toolbox of chemicals is under threat by political forces.  The sign up sheet was at my chemical dealer last year to let these same people know that glyphosate is vital for use in NY agriculture.  

• Like 1

What was it, 20 years now we had the mad cow scare going across the country? 
The talk was then we were spared the worst because we had “small” herds, and they were spread apart… the mentality of bigger is better is just madness it seems, all by design? If we “lose” the red meat to another… let’s call it a pandemic ?, we’ll never get it back because the scare will be quadruple what mad cow was, and the propaganda machine will ramp it up that by even looking at red meat you will die☠️?

The lab meats will be praised as the savior of the world and that if you ever eat red meat again you should be jailed because now you’re infected…

Ok. Maybe a little tongue in cheek there…. Or is there??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ihfan4life said:

What was it, 20 years now we had the mad cow scare going across the country? 
The talk was then we were spared the worst because we had “small” herds, and they were spread apart… the mentality of bigger is better is just madness it seems, all by design?

My old man said that for years...............I think sooner or later it will bite us.  

• Like 2

The new progressive left is fixing to save us again. They want make every confine beef operation less than a 1000 head. That is the end of grain feed cattle, unless all you part timers are willing to feed 20 to 100 head every winter like 70 years ago.

Have no idea what number they have for hogs or poultry.

37 minutes ago, ray54 said:

That is the end of grain feed cattle, unless all you part timers are willing to feed 20 to 100 head every winter like 70 years ago.

If the numbers work alot around me(And me included) would...................Problem is they don't.   

Wysoyki Farms in the central sand area of WI. has been fighting in the courts for almost 10 years to be able to build a dairy for close to 6000 dairy cows. they have been approved by the DNR for all permits but can't go forward because of the ongoing lawsuits. they were going to clear 8000 acres of Red Pines and turn it into crop land and put in hi-capacity irrigation wells but it's all on hold till the courts make the final decision.

8 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

I am not anti CAFO at all. What I hate is the unclear rules. One time you can the next time no. It is impossible with those people.

“Impossible.”  Well, that is the goal of the true activist antis.  Make livestock husbandry on any significant scale impossible.  Pay attention to what is going on in the dog breeding industry as the antis lead they way there, but there are plenty of other antis that would like to see the same happen in the food animal industry.  At the USDA level, the employees that have their brain hooked to the right voltage realize that the anti fanatics are actually their enemy, because if there is nothing for the USDA to regulate, said USDA employees lose their rather cushy jobs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ChrisNY said:

Exactly.  SO if your under 700 head you wont use any spray?  Thats like saying organic farms dont use pesticides....a 100% lie in most examples.

20 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/ehs/docs/understanding_cafos_nalboh.pdf

All you ever wanted to know about CAFO's

oh from a bureaucrats perspective.  Pretty sure it IS NOT ALL you need to know.

Typical, if you aint a cafo you have drag a cafo under.  If you aint a small guy have to make fun of them.  Like  NFU party 

• Like 1