If we don't get rain, we are screwed

cobfly

This is not good.  Usually cut the second, first of August. Starting to go backwards. Lost irrigation while that first was down. Did not cut dryland hay. Down by 60 to 70 percent on tonnage. Glad I don't do it for a living, but it still needs to pencil out. Live cattle maybe $1.25, hay went from 130 to 220. I am sick of summer. I am sick of those in charge. Oh yeah, fuel is up a buck. Carry on! Thank the good Lord for beer. At least something is wet 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 8

27 minutes ago, cobfly said:

This is not good.  Usually cut the second, first of August. Starting to go backwards. Lost irrigation while that first was down. Did not cut dryland hay. Down by 60 to 70 percent on tonnage. Glad I don't do it for a living, but it still needs to pencil out. Live cattle maybe $1.25, hay went from 130 to 220. I am sick of summer. I am sick of those in charge. Oh yeah, fuel is up a buck. Carry on! Thank the good Lord for beer. At least something is wet 

if we had the right man in office you would have your rain!! 2x on the beer

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Probably too little, too late this year. A wet fall and regular 3ft winter will help.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, cobfly said:

Over here in Europe we have fluds

https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/1211861255/bakken-met-regen-in-europa-maar-zomerweer-wint-terrein

• Sad 1

Not every year will be good, I feel like the last decade or so has been pretty decent. Yes struggles with to much rain at times but better than average. The crop farmer will get a check to help out. I do feel sorry for livestock people as they got to eat something. I remember hunting hay up in the 80s , not real fun. Keep going we’ll get through

I feel bad for my neighbors that do it for a living. Across the river, they run about 600 pairs. Normally they are running 6 ,1/4 mile lines this time of year. They are down to 3, Creek is skinny. They have a 55,000 acre ranch in Snowflake, Arizona. It is only carrying 200 pairs. Their hay is off by 50 percent, with troubles keeping the summer pasture green. Sheesh! I offered to let them bring 20 pairs to my place for free, but by the time they needed it, it was plumb gone, as in dryed up. GD Biden!

Hopefully you can get some of the rain we have been excess of. Couldn't hardly do second cutting silage as it wouldn't dry enough. This was the other day.. today I chopped two hole properties on the ground because it is so muddy. As a matter of fact I skipped a few places in many fields and the last one I skipped 80% of it. 

IMG_20210713_162351191.jpg

• Sad 3

Boy do I wish I could send you rain! Yesterday a pop up thunderstorm gave 1.5 inches in half an hour. Been getting 3 or 4 storms a week.

Been 3 straight weeks in the 80’s and 90’s, first cut at the end of June was ok, good thing cause that’s all there’s gonna be, cereals are burning up, pasture dormant, Hay is going to be in demand 

man o man what a difference around the country, we had localized flooding, lost a lot of our beans, replanted and now waiting to see if it makes, it just broke ground, might be too late if we get early frost, corn loss was futile for our neighbors, no time to save anything from that, some areas down on moisture early for hay and got low volume cutting results others lost out due to wet conditions. It was so dry here for a while i had two runs of 4 weeks between mowing on my grass, the flooding was in between those two spells. Dads 8 acre pasture the neighbor mows was about avg - i think around 15 bales poor year its around 12, good year ive seen 20+ no fertilizer. 

we got 8/10 last wkend and 1 inch so far today. Guys cant get hay up - much of it uncut on first cutting - mom n dad live 100 miles north of me, potatos and onions rotted in the ground, only got a few good ones. sweet corn was yellow but starting to come out of it. Ours isnt much better here. Not a good year for gardens so I fertilized the tar out of mine hoping to salvage some late beans. Tomato plans are just starting to show some growth/promise. 

hopefully @cobfly you guys get some tail end moisture to start off teh fall/winter and dont have a bunch of fires 

Just for perspective, in '67 Dad was farming just south of Osborn, MO. (some of you will know where that is), and I remember Dad saying it rained every day in June that year.

Point being, the climate surely changes.  If we're responsible is a totally different question.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

Just for perspective, I remember in '67 Dad was farming just south of Osborn, MO. (some of you will know where that is), and I remember Dad saying it rained every day in June.

Point being, the climate surely changes.  If we're responsible is a totally different question.

i was a lil squeeker in 67, dont remember that rain but do remember others, our place is just ne of there - sister/niece live in maysville - we had those rains in 93 and it flooded so much then again in 03 it got crazy 

I’m only 3-4hr north of bitty. 10+ inches in the last four weeks.  We have -not moved- in 20 days.  Second cutting? I’d like to get my First cutting, which now is brown, has second cutting growing up in it, and a lot of it is a knocked down by rain twisted up snotty mess.  We do small squares and we’ve only been this far behind 2-3x in 40 years.  Neighbors that run big choppers and trucks like bitty, they got their first off back when it was thin but now they can’t get in the ground to get the second. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hardtail said:

Been 3 straight weeks in the 80’s and 90’s, first cut at the end of June was ok, good thing cause that’s all there’s gonna be, cereals are burning up, pasture dormant, Hay is going to be in demand 

Same situation here. Except we're just doing 1st cut right now, which is normal. Our hay yields so far are half of last year, but better than what most guys are saying. Won't be no 2nd cut if no rain in the next couple weeks. Had 2 days of thunderstorms now but they missed all our land completely. Just on the edges of the storms. If we don't get some moisture in the next week or so I think we will just be combining to get rid of the straw. Hope I'm wrong. Neighbour said '61 or '62 was the exact same here except they had good moisture in spring. But by the end of July they were grazing the wheat and barley fields. I guess we will wait and see. No point in complaining cause we're gonna just try again next year lol

• Like 1

This year has been different, early summer heat and frequent rain.  Hay yields are fantastic, land soft in places though.  Only got a few decent windows to crop. I am so glad I can wrap haylage. Was only able to do dry hay successfully on 1/3 of the cut.  Had 4.5" of rain in last 2 weeks. 

Last summer we went a month with no rain, pastures dried up and had to feed hay in the middle of the summer. 

Dryer than dry here, been hot on top of that, can't remember the last rain we've had. Thunderstorms only brought us lightening and fires. We only ever get 1 cut, this year is coming in at 30 percent of normal. Hay is already hitting $285 / ton in places

Mark

• Sad 1

Sorry to hear Cob, you are worse off than us but are on your tail.

Got a good rain of .70 the other night but it wasn't enough to bring back the grass that had already sent dormant.

Home hay meadow is either green or brown and mostly brown.

There will be adjustments made. 

Not the first time we've been through this.

Doesn't make it any easier though.

Calf prices are still decent here.

Cows will be cheap and hay expensive this fall.

If it was a slam dunk, everyone would want to own cows.

• Like 1

Cobfly has a lot to be depressed about, and it looks as though he isn't all that far from me. Lots of us in the same/similar predicament some overly wet which can be dealt with using drainage (unless it's a flood) and the rest of the country dry as a popcorn fart. After waiting 4 months for Hyd. fittings I simply gave up on even trying to plant, nothings going to grow anyway it's so dry and not looking like we'll get any sort of moisture till end of Sept. at the earliest. 

But like he says, long as the fridge don't give out to keep the beer cold, it's wet and life is good.

Seems its either too dry or too wet depending where you're at. We had 9+ inches of rain in 100 days a week ago. Probabl have had close to 2" since them. Got lucky, last Sunday they got 7" in 2 hours about 5 miles from us but we only got a 1/2". Beans look like crap, big areas of yellow beans & areas of dead beans where they've drowned out. Went from one of our best looking bean crop in years to now one of the worst. Corn looks better but still holes in fields where it has died & fallen flat. Even grid tiled ground has drowned out spots. Still, too much rain is better than none, at least the high ground will produce good crops. 

You want ours? Getting as much as 2” over the weekend… Was planning on doing firewood ?

I have seen most kinds of kick the farm in the rear weather, ? but sure don't want to taunt Mother Nature. The average in my corner is about 20 inches. This year I got 18 but one of the shortest feed year in my 66 years. 15 inches of that came in 36  hours.

Lots of good cows went to slaughter from California. So surly it will rain good this fall so every cattleman will be looking for more cows.

Back in my farming days I had wet weather cost me as much as a drought. When you plant barley and get 50 inches over the next 3 1/2 to 4 months, it did not do well.

So wet or dry you got my prayers for better times.

• Like 6