Dual wheel rims for 9230

Got a question for Dr Evil!   I have a 9230 with "spacer and drawbolt" duals - 18.4R-38s.   The dual tires are shot, the inners are about 60%.   I need new tires, but will require dismounting the inners and moving them to the duals, etc.     I have also been considering trying to find a set of hubs and rims off a parts tractor and put hub mount duals on it (easier to take off the duals).    I found a tractor that appears to have a good set of inner tires.    If I could buy the inner tires and rims, and the 4 hubs, and use them for duals, it would work.   From CIH Parts, it looks like the hubs are the same, BUT the inner and outer rims are NOT the same.   

Can anybody comment on this?   Are the rims truly different?  Different offset?   Could the inners be used as duals?  Are the bolts on duals worth switching to for those of you who regularly take off duals?

If I could just find a set of tires with 50% treat to match my current inners, I could avoid all this hassle!   Like thats gonna happen today!

Does your inner rims have the big 10 bolt pattern (bigger than the Magnum and 1586) ?

Do you have bar axles or planetary hub mount rims ? 

They are the big 10 bolt, bar axles & hubs.   Pretty sure 9130-9330 are all the same?  CIH Parts shows a different p/n for the inner & outer rim on the hub mount duals, #1 & #2.  From the pic (yeah I know) it looks like the offset might be different?     Can't get any more details on the 10 different available rim sizes for #1 & #2 from the website!   Of course, different tire sizes might be different for the rims.

I thought maybe somebody might know if the 38" inner rims were identical to the outers or not.   4 new Firestones is $6K today.....

I called the place with the parts tractor advertised and the wheels/tires are already gone.  Sigh.  They did mention they had a set of hubs & rims, no tires, off a Stieger, green of course.   Doesn't help me find used tires so I don't have to buy new.   I'd still like to be sure about the rims in case I ever find some.

Just my opinion, but in the years I have had my tractor I have only had the duals (10 bolt hub mount) off to replace tires or the very occasional flat tire on the inside dual. I’m not really sure it would be worth the money to convert it to axle mount. Axle mount is easier for sure, but how many times have you had to dismount your duals? Maybe I have just been lucky and haven’t had to take them off very many times. I also have an older Deere 4wd with cast duals with taper lock hubs and I haven’t bothered to convert them, although if I ever ran across the right parts cheap enough I would consider it. I guarantee whatever your tractor has is easier to dismount than those Deere duals. There is no tire shop around here that will dismount cast duals anymore. They all say you take the duals off and we’ll fix the tire, otherwise we don’t do those anymore. 

I was thinking about trying to use the tractor to "haul in".....get rid of the semi I only use for a few hundred miles a year, the license, the insurance -- and pull a couple 500bu wagons behind the 9230.   I only have 3 miles to the elevator.   I think the 12s PS tranny would work pretty well to pull with.   Tractor is heavy enough it would handle the wagons OK.   I could be wrong.

Thing is, duals won't work across the scales or thru the pit!    So I would have to take off the duals for harvest & then put them back on for tillage.    Lots of work.    

Harvesting by myself after work- I just can't afford to use some little wagons.   It takes to much time to constantly be stopping the combine and taking in another 300 bu wagon load.  (Besides the stress on the combine of constantly starting and stopping the motor hot)   Even the 1000bu the semi holds means a lot of stops.   ANd waiting in the line at the elevator with 300 bu.....is not fun.   I usually manage to get 2 loads in a day - one before work, one after work - so I'd sure rather have 2000 bu in a day than 600.

Of course, with the cost of the big wagons today....

I think the band duals are junk. Our inner rims all cracked up from the stress on the 9170. We now have custom made spool mounted duals 

50 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Why not just rent a truck for the few weeks of harvest and keep your trailer?

A newer truck would probably reject my trailer (1976)!   IDK, maybe should look into that.  Not sure where I would even go.  Ryder in Chicago - 2 hours away?

Another thing keeping me from spending the money to go the 4wd + wagon route is I've had a couple times with a 4wd tractor on slick roads where you lost all control, the articulation just kinda folded around while the tractor went straight.   Worried that with 1000bu of weight on behind you might get that sort of issue.   Would love to talk to somebody who hauls wagons with a 4wd.  I'm not sure I've ever seen anybody do it.   WHY?   Plenty of grain carts, why not big wagons.  Worried there is a good reason I'm not thinking about.

I rotated the tires on mine this winter and drove it around a little with out the duals on. It felt very tippy- a lot of weight on 4 18.4-38 tires. Just from the little bit I drove it around I wouldn’t want to use it with out duals when it is set narrow. 

11 hours ago, 706 German said:

I rotated the tires on mine this winter and drove it around a little with out the duals on. It felt very tippy- a lot of weight on 4 18.4-38 tires. Just from the little bit I drove it around I wouldn’t want to use it with out duals when it is set narrow. 

Hmm....Good point!   I have seen MX2xx tractors pull into the elevator with a big wagon, with the tires clear in and duals off, and now that you remind me, they do look tippy and rock back and forth a lot.

I guess if a guy really wanted to do the 4wd w/wagon thing, you should ditch the duals and put 30.5-32's or similar on the tractor for both jobs.     

Whether it’s rite or not. I pull 2x800 bu wagons 6 to 12 miles depending on location. I pull them with a MX240 with what we call pumpkins like the euro tractors, again like yourself to get thru the scales and elevator. No experience with a 4x4 but before I’d go looking for bigger wagons get a joe dog for your trailer cage the brakes and go down the road unless you need the truck to lift the load and even then you can either use the tractor or put together a pto or hyd pump to do the deed.  

John. 

I had considered a tandem dolly on the hopper bottom....part of the problem is the trailer is starting to get some cracks in the aluminum here & there, the frames is pretty rusty, and may not last too much longer as well.   As far as brakes- a precision planting air pump mounted on the dolly  and a hand lever mounted in the cab would get you better brakes than any wagon ever dreamed of.  

Illinois state troopers, for some reason, don’t like a tractor pulling a trailer with air brakes. But that may have been just a local issue here. A local farm was pulling a lowboy with an 8640, hauling a dozer or trackhoe. I think that one of the local contractors was throwing a fit about it and the cops finally had to say something. He had an air tank setup for the brakes, but that was the excuse that they used. His setup wasn’t DOT approved, I guess.

This is the state that says you need a Dot medical card if you are pulling a 300bu wagon with a pickup.    This is the state that says its interstate commerce to haul & sell your grain 5 miles to the SECOND nearest elevator (they tried to make it everybody....farm lobby actually worked to get some measure of sanity).   This is the state that says its "Commercial" to win a ribbon at the county fair--so you darn well better have ICC #s on the car you drove the rabbits there with.    It also has too many bleeding hearts that can't mind their own business.   

Golly, seems to me a lowboy pulled by a 4wd would only be practical for close-to-home work.  Would not get stuck as easy---could pull right off the road in the fields & unload there.   If that farmer was doing commercial work, I could MAYBE see the issue; if he was doing his own farm work.....somebody needs to have a discussion with that other contractor about minding his own business.

• Like 1