Good pulling tires

I agree with LIGHTNINGBOY, a FIRESTONE 15.5x38 DEEP TREAD probably the best tire, something half worn out, but regular ALL TRACTION FIELD & ROAD is more available and probably as good with some work.

A Good-Year SUPER-TORQUE with the 45 degree zig-zag lugs would be the start of a good pulling tire too.  Dad's 450 came with a set of these in 15.5x38 that were nearly brand new.

• Like 1

all of the field pullers around here seek out the B F Goodrich radial tires that came out on the 66 series IH's,power savers i believe they were called, i don't know if they made them in a 16.9 though.

• Like 1

On the antique class tractors it seems like the hardest, cracked, and worn almost all the way out tires walk the sled all the way down the line.......just the right balance of bite,  slip, and grip for slow speed pulling.

So why do my hard, cracked, worn out tires just spin on my field tractor??   ?   Oh well $6000 for a set of 4 new is just money right?

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

So why do my hard, cracked, worn out tires just spin on my field tractor??   ?   Oh well $6000 for a set of 4 new is just money right?

Sounds like you need to make your fields as hard as the track and you’ll be set !! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/15/2021 at 9:57 AM, from H to 80 said:

all of the field pullers around here seek out the B F Goodrich radial tires that came out on the 66 series IH's,power savers i believe they were called, i don't know if they made them in a 16.9 though.

Power Savers are the only tire that can keep up with a Firestone in a farm class with uncut tires. Many people, myself included, would call them better than Firestone. But the antique crowd tends to be dismissive to these new fangled radials! Lol

a good road wore set of powersavers, super torgues if you can find a matched set of co-op's these are all good tires but firestones are easier to get and are a great tire

On 7/15/2021 at 9:57 AM, from H to 80 said:

According to my BFG data book, PowerSaver Radials only available in 18.4x34 6 ply, 18.4x38 6&8 ply, 20.8x34 8 ply and 20.8x38 8 & 10 ply.  No date anywhere on the sheets but probably mid-1970's vintage.

What's REALLY shocking is I have PRICE SHEETS for what FARMALL'S cost was on tires from Firestone, Good Year, Armstrong, & BFG.  A 16x38 double bevel rims like almost every 986,1086, & 1486 had cost FARMALL $35 each.

59 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

What's REALLY shocking is I have PRICE SHEETS for what FARMALL'S cost was on tires from Firestone, Good Year, Armstrong, & BFG.  A 16x38 double bevel rims like almost every 986,1086, & 1486 had cost FARMALL $35 each.

??

• Like 1

From what I understand, Harvey Firestone was the first to come up with the "tire" for farm tractors, being a farmer himself. As things progressed other brands cashed in on the opportunity, mostly cause of the bottom line it created for their shareholders and the market share obtained. No I believe I've read that Titan Tires is the owner of the Goodyear AG tire division. Somewhere I've read that Alliance now owns Titan, or maybe it's the other way around, can't member. At any rate, after developing his tire, Harvey Firestone returned to farming but kept his hand in the development of tires and Firestone does have a research facility specifically for AG tires. 

Guess the point of this diatribe drivel is that I don't believe you can go wrong with a set of Firestones. Probably a premier tire at a somewhat affordable price. Same tire in Michelin will run you 2 - 3 times as much, and it ain't any rounder. The composition of the rubber is what will ultimately determine the reliability and wear. But y'all knew that.

N S - The FIRESTONE TEST FARM is in Columbiana, Ohio. Was sometime in the 1970's that FIRESTONE built their MEAN MACHINE, a mobile tractor testing machine that hooks to the back of tractors under test around the various tracks and fields on their test farm to see what really works and what doesn't in the REAL WORLD. The Mean Machine can put up to 34,000# of draft load on a tractor under test in all kinds of ground or pavement conditions.  So FIRESTONE knows what works,  and they also know WHAT OF THE OTHER GUY'S tires don't work.

I've seen numerous articles in farm magazines about the Mean Machine. If Good-Year, Titan, or Michelin, or MITAS, or Alliance have a Mean Machine they are keeping it a really good secret, I've never heard of anybody except FIRESTONE having one.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2021 at 8:11 AM, DOCTOR EVIL said:

According to my BFG data book, PowerSaver Radials only available in 18.4x34 6 ply, 18.4x38 6&8 ply, 20.8x34 8 ply and 20.8x38 8 & 10 ply.  No date anywhere on the sheets but probably mid-1970's vintage.

I just priced 16x38 double bevel rims today and I was told $390 , 14x38 were $300 and 9x36 C rims were $225 

17 hours ago, N S said:

Guess the point of this diatribe drivel is that I don't believe you can go wrong with a set of Firestones. Probably a premier tire at a somewhat affordable price. Same tire in Michelin will run you 2 - 3 times as much, and it ain't any rounder. The composition of the rubber is what will ultimately determine the reliability and wear. But y'all knew that.

If you are buying Firestone tires for 1/3 to 1/2 price of Michelin, I wanna know who your Firestone dealer is! The last time I priced tires was a few years ago, bu Michelin were on par with Firestone. Firestone loves to advertise how efficient they are compared to a 45 degree lug, and they are. In ideal field work conditions…. If you want the best tire for a tractor that only does tillage, the data says use Firestone. But many of us do things other than tillage. A 23 degree lug will get pushed sideways on a steep slope, so for mowing hay on steeper contour strips I like my 45 degree lugs. The guy who used to mow roadsides for our township swore my Goodyear DT-710 because they held so well on really steep banks. Even Firestone offers tires with 45 degree lugs because they know that certain applications will need something other than the 23 degree lug.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brewcrew said:

If you are buying Firestone tires for 1/3 to 1/2 price of Michelin, I wanna know who your Firestone dealer is! The last time I priced tires was a few years ago, bu Michelin were on par with Firestone. Firestone loves to advertise how efficient they are compared to a 45 degree lug, and they are. In ideal field work conditions…. If you want the best tire for a tractor that only does tillage, the data says use Firestone. But many of us do things other than tillage. A 23 degree lug will get pushed sideways on a steep slope, so for mowing hay on steeper contour strips I like my 45 degree lugs. The guy who used to mow roadsides for our township swore my Goodyear DT-710 because they held so well on really steep banks. Even Firestone offers tires with 45 degree lugs because they know that certain applications will need something other than the 23 degree lug.

I have just done some cursory pricing in various places on various tires and what I found was Michelins were more spensive. Prices were generally all over the place with Firestones being the most consistent. I'm going to be in the market in the near future so the info you related about tread angles is appreciated as most all of my tillable acreage is somewhat steep. Ultimately the winner will be whoever can provide the best tire at the most reasonable cost available in the size I need (18.4 X 38), whether it be Firestone, Carlisle, Goodyear. Michelin, Alliance or Titan. Not all of which have that size available in the desired tread style. I have mower research to do me thinks.

I was cleaning out the shed a few years ago and we still had the BFG radials that were the original tires on my dads 4450 John Deere, circa 1985. I thought it would be great if someone would just take them so I didn’t have to get rid of them. I advertised them and had pullers beating down my door to get them. I think I priced them way too cheap, I didn’t know they were such a big deal.