Martin’s

My dad loved his Purple Martins. Put up a house every place we lived.

It was all dimpled up from him shooting sparrows off it with a bb gun?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My Dad did also putting up the condo every spring and then one year frenzied noises as a squirrel had finally found a way up, their revisiting tapered off and stopped in spite of all his additional security measures 

Neighbor had one growing up. She was a coarse older woman. She accused my brother and I of shooting her Martin house with our BB guns. I shot tens of thousands of BBs as a kid but never shot that bird house and neither did my brother. Always said I was going to blow it up the night before I moved out (of my parents house). I guess I fibbed because I never touched that thing and she has since moved on to wherever mean old ladies go. 

As far as Martins go, I never liked the noise they made. We have lots of barn swallows now which are similar birds in my untrained eye and they don’t make nearly as much noise. I like seeing them out morning and evening catching bugs. 

• Haha 1

We have had a martin house as long as i have been here,there are six houses now scattered around the farm. I enjoy listening to them and watching them chase after the equipment catching bugs. Fifteen or so years ago they picked our farm to congregate before there trip back south,there were thousands of them on the power lines and in the trees for a day.

• Like 1

Very cool! Only thing I ever got to live in a bird house was paper wasps ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

Very cool! Only thing I ever got to live in a bird house was paper wasps ?

Maybe because of those big furry teddy bears you got roaming around...

• Haha 1

I’m with Todd, we have about 50 barn swallows here, and a couple bats. They circle me on the lawnmower and when I mow hay. Fun to watch them dart this way then that way. The bats I see over the pond in the late evening.

• Like 1

In the coastal south east almost every farm house would have a Martin House in the early 50's.  By the time I left the area to see the world they were mostly gone. 

I prefer Rowans rather than Martin's 

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, cobfly said:

I prefer Rowans rather than Martin's 

I'm old enough to see what you did there.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Alan Dinan said:

I’m with Todd, we have about 50 barn swallows here, and a couple bats. They circle me on the lawnmower and when I mow hay. Fun to watch them dart this way then that way. The bats I see over the pond in the late evening.

Is it barn swallows that make a “mud nest”? 
whichever ones do that I’ve heard it means wherever they built won’t get struck by lightning or burn down, either one is fine by me !

23 hours ago, from H to 80 said:

2 weeks and they will be gone, lot’s of young one’s flying now.

299DE774-ADF5-47D2-9A3B-39B29AD9A457.jpeg

D2EFFF3B-0C34-475F-A6E3-C24182EB4F00.jpeg

so where do they go in two weeks? and why in two weeks? 

A guy up the road has 5 martin houses i see some darting around here in the evenings when I mow 

3 hours ago, zleinenbach said:

whichever ones do that I’ve heard it means wherever they built won’t get struck by lightning or burn down, either one is fine by me !

Also they come to my rescue when I mow through the bumblebees

I remember reading that purple martins feed away from their houses - in other words if you put up houses on your property, they'll eat other peoples' skeeters.

Not knocking the birds and what they do, but an interesting point.

10 hours ago, zleinenbach said:

All I know is they're persistent little %$#@s...

Checked my 1586 every day for a nest for weeks. Missed a few days. Came back and the little %$#@s had built a THIRD nest on top of the right battery and laid four more eggs. Enough is enough. I moved the nest to on top of the axle housing figuring a predator would like some breakfast. Still there, and the parents are still tending to it.

Have had barn swallows build nests for years in eves peak on house now they don’t, you saying I’m gonna get lit up?

Dads yard was fairly wide open but totally surrounded by bush, they fed there but need some room to glide 

1 hour ago, hardtail said:

Have had barn swallows build nests for years in eves peak on house now they don’t, you saying I’m gonna get lit up?

Dads yard was fairly wide open but totally surrounded by bush, they fed there but need some room to glide 

I hope not!!

hopefully it’s an old wives tale...

kinda like eatin carrots makes you see better. I was 26 before I figured that out!!!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

so where do they go in two weeks? and why in two weeks?

They live in South America, I think Brazil, they just come here to breed.

5 minutes ago, jingles1928 said:

They live in South America, I think Brazil, they just come here to breed.

wow, i could think of a better plan but hey God has his reasons i dont question that

We have a few barn swallows also, I haven’t seen any little ones flying yet though.       Second picture is of some of there mud nests for those who haven’t seen them 

image.jpg

image.jpg