Grass squeaks when it grows

sandhiller

Another storm come up early this morning.

Lotta lightning, but stayed in clouds so no grass fires and no cows titsup.

Screenshot_20210714-013256.thumb.png.7b28fc04fe2bf31e8a37ff0e5b56670d.png

Been missing the rain but this time hit a lick and and tallied .70".

Screenshot_20210714-012959.thumb.png.e40a172212b621590e7f14b2a378bc09.png

It came in twenty minutes and moved some sand around but was sorely needed.

IMG_20210714_014258395_HDR.thumb.jpg.59d76ac5a4672d1ae79738bd9543092a.jpg

We were in a very dry situation but this will perk things  up a bit. Hopefully poked a hole in the waterproof roof that has been hanging over our heads.

IMG_20210714_103821750.thumb.jpg.1df698b8d4ce2700995f354cdb6d1636.jpg

Sure is nice to hear the grass grow again, thank you. ?

• Like 12

I saw that on the radar and thought of you this morning , I’m on day three of canning lime pickles and we’re supposed to get some bad weather later today . Right now the wind has just started to go nuts swirling in all directions so I’m not sure what’s going on at the moment. 

As for the grass squeaking ,   On a hot day you can actually here corn growing , it’s true! 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

I saw that on the radar and thought of you this morning , I’m on day three of canning lime pickles and we’re supposed to get some bad weather later today . Right now the wind has just started to go nuts swirling in all directions so I’m not sure what’s going on at the moment. 

As for the grass squeaking ,   On a hot day you can actually here corn growing , it’s true! 

I can remember hearing corn grow on a hot night in a corn field with no wind 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

On a hot day you can actually here corn growing , it’s true! 

I have NO idea how we got off onto the topic but I remember my Farm Boy Buddy saying at lunch at school one day that he heard corn "Grow".  Walked out into a corn field on a warm still day, laid down between two rows and heard it growing.  I always had other stuff to do.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I have NO idea how we got off onto the topic but I remember my Farm Boy Buddy saying at lunch at school one day that he heard corn "Grow".  Walked out into a corn field on a warm still day, laid down between two rows and heard it growing.  I always had other stuff to do.

Off topic?   How so? 

I have observed that giant sunflowers are the fastest growing plants I have ever observed. 2 inches to 6 feet in a few days in good growing conditions.

Will goats eat sunflower vegetation?  It could be a money maker if it could be cubed into animal feed.

Good opportunity to evaluate available  research.

• Like 2

'They' say bamboo is the fastest growing plant. Corn does grow really fast, especially once it gets about waist high. With my hearing, I doubt if I could hear it.

• Like 4

Growing up my room was on the south side of the house. No air conditioning, window open, lay there on hot July nights and listen to the corn pop and crackle.

As for the dry conditions, granddaughter is at guard camp someplace in Wyoming. Supposed to be really dry.

• Like 4

To keep up with the “Off Topic” 

I believe Giant Kelp , in the right conditions has been proven to grow up to 12 inches a day . 

The kelp forest’s off shore Catalina are one of my favorite places to dive. 

• Like 2

I also have heard corn grow, and ya'll be right ya can hear it and it pops, even ifn it ain't popcorn. And I have read a few years back that corn is used in something like over 4,000 products in one form or another. Hard to believe but article had authenticity in a reliable source. So at least all you corn growers got that going for ya ifn the feed and biofuel market goes down the porcelain portal. Heck, it can prolly be used to make new shoes for AOC, cause we all know when her nu greenie deal falls on its face and won't charge her lectric Tesla, she's gonna be going through a lot of shoe leather. 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

What radar app is that? I like it better than the one I have. 

Two different apps

lightning alarm, use it a lot when watching for areas of possible lightning starting grass fires. It is very accurate.

storm alert, been pretty good in the past but this year has lied to me a lot. It has showed a good hard rain over head when i was not getting Bo Diddly squat...............

Have other people tell me their radar is inaccurate this year also, not sure what is going on. Ruskies?????

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I have NO idea how we got off onto the topic

1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

Off topic?   How so? 

Off topic??? 

We don't need no steenking topics?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Off topic?   How so? 

I think he means that it was off topic for him, on the day it came up in conversation between him and his buddy. At least, that's how I understood it.

• Thanks 1

Great video.

The saying that we grew up with......"knee high by the 4th of July" has long since gone by the way side. Today it is probably ....."tassled by the 4th of July" would be more accurate.

Yes, it is a grass. There are 'grazing' strains of corn. Eastern Gamma grass is a very close relative to corn. Probably why cattle eat it like candy.

• Like 1

Glad to hear your getting some water Jeff!

I sure hope we have a chance at rain again soon before we lose our crop!! We had a big one coming at us today, predicted an inch, never got a drop!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dads706 said:

As for the dry conditions, granddaughter is at guard camp someplace in Wyoming. Supposed to be really dry.

Camp Guernsey ring any bells.......???

Spent a few A.T.'s there...

It can RAIN there...Lost a Jeep in a washout once...Everyone made it out OK, thank God...?

Mike

• Like 1

Checked with her parents...... yep, that's the place. Was told it is really dry there. Don't know if it's in the fire danger area or not. She's a combat medic. Heard that she already has had a chance to practice her suturing. 

7 hours ago, lorenzo said:

I've also been told that on a dark, quiet night in the garage you can hear your Scout rust.  ?

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, mikem said:

Camp Guernsey ring any bells.......???

Spent a few A.T.'s there...

It can RAIN there...Lost a Jeep in a washout once...Everyone made it out OK, thank God...?

Mike

My oldest is stationed at Casper.

Goes over to Guernsey for training and I think range time.