Is there a Blue Book for UTVs?

I was talking with the neighbor tonight and they have a couple side by sides as many farmers do now-a-days. He mentioned that they were thinking about trading theirs in.  I’ve considered one as the little guy is getting almost too big to ride on the tank of my little Honda Fat Cat.  Is there any sort of Kelly Blue Book or NADA of UTV value?  

The machine in question is a Polaris Ranger 1000 with 4500 adult only miles on it. Hard roof, glass windshield, glass back window.  I’ve been around a Ranger 800 and a Ranger 900 some so I am familiar with them to an extent but have never owned one personally.  They will set a price but I really don’t know what the used market is like on these. It is recently serviced and had the belt changed professionally at a dealer but they are honest and take care of their equipment so it isn’t a time bomb or anything. 

12 minutes ago, DT361 said:

Here's a clickable link to Kelly Blue Book (kbb.com), and specifically to the subsection for ATVs/UTVs.

UTV/UTV BlueBook

Mark

Thanks. Need to get some more details on this one I guess. I’m very surprised they do not use mileage at all or much of anything to determine value. Put in the year and the model and it gives a supposed value. 

21 minutes ago, zleinenbach said:

I looked at one when we bought our ranger. It doesn’t take into account the  fully crazy resale on these right now. 

I was expecting the link to say about 1/2 to 2/3 of the value it listed. I’m probably just a tight wad that’s out of touch with reality on values currently ??‍♂️

17 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I may just be out of tune with reality on these. I was expecting the link to say about 1/2 to 2/3 of the value it listed. I’m probably just a tight wad that’s out of touch with reality on values currently ??‍♂️

A friend of ours just spent $24’000 on one. And he’s so tight ,if he’d eat a piece of charcoal he’d crap a diamond!

Edited by zleinenbach
Typo yet again
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, zleinenbach said:

A friend of ours just spent $24’000 on one. And he’s so right if he’d eat a piece of charcoal he’d crap a diamond!

I can tell you one guy that won’t have one for $24K.......

Me either. We bought ours used with 2300 miles and people scoffed at us.

i think this could dive right into a hour meter on a tractor topic real quick!

if you know the people I think that’s the best blue book a guy can ask for

2 minutes ago, zleinenbach said:

Me either. We bought ours used with 2300 miles and people scoffed at us.

i think this could dive right into a hour meter on a tractor topic real quick!

if you know the people I think that’s the best blue book a guy can ask for

I agree. This isn’t a status thing for me. I know it can be used and also enjoyed by my family. I’ve even got a spray boom that will fit a trailer hitch on one that would be handy to use. Just have to see what sort of price he shoots me when the time comes I guess. 

my neighbor just sold his 4door ranger and bought a new 4 door one, it was a 2011, not sure the hours, but prob avg, he takes decent care of stuff, he sold it for 10K 

his was an 800 he got a 1000 this time gave 18500 for it 

5 hours ago, catman13 said:

there is a shortage and prices are stupid high, look on craigslist and face book market place and get an idea what they are bringing in your area

I understand there is a wait for new ones. Don’t have FB and Craigslist is pretty barren in this area on almost everything.  I’ll see what he says when the time comes. I’m not committed in any way. Bottom line may just be it’s more than I want to give and walk away. For $10K I can put a turn key brand new 2.8 Cummins in my Scout...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, stronger800 said:

You didn’t say what year the ranger is, and I didn’t click the links, but...how far off am I saying......$10k?  

He didn’t tell me the year. From what I’m learning $10K may not be too far off. I won’t be paying that much for one. I’m not spending that much money on something that can’t and won’t make me any money. 

I sold our nice arctic cat ITV last year for 7k, 2010. Had had it this year....I’d get 8500 fast.  

They are kind of like a skidsteer. You don’t think you need one, till you get one, then a few years later it has 1000 hrs on it, and you didn’t ever use it for recreation.....so must be it was for work.  

29 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

I sold our nice arctic cat ITV last year for 7k, 2010. Had had it this year....I’d get 8500 fast.  

They are kind of like a skidsteer. You don’t think you need one, till you get one, then a few years later it has 1000 hrs on it, and you didn’t ever use it for recreation.....so must be it was for work.  

Another guy I know hooked a raven ? GPS system up and sprayed fields with it....

while everyone was waiting with their half million dollar rigs due to being wet he had 800 acres done...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just gave $800

For this ranger 4wd and AC ?

Frame in good shape no engine light.

Not that I wouldn't enjoy a side by side

20210625_145317.thumb.jpg.91d8b6eeeb8387d7c8fa1d488d3a6993.jpg

• Like 3

I did a rough search on this site.  Not that many results.  I didn't know if it was a plain 1,000 or 1,000 XP, or the specific model with that.  It shows a few asking prices.  Might help with a rough ballpark when you can see some with various hours/condition.   https://www.atvtrader.com/Used-Polaris-Ranger-UTV-Utility-Side-by-Side/atvs-for-sale?type=Side by Side|1049211046&make=Polaris|2319876&model=RANGER|764859561&trim=1000|67505%2C1000 EPS|63735%2C1000 PREMIUM|68268%2CXP 1000|40720%2CXP 1000 EPS|40579&category=UTV%2FUtility|2001681&condition=U&zip=62833&radius=any&sort=distance%3Aasc

I don't think "books" mean a lot these days.  I was thinking about trading in the highway vehicle before the main warranty runs out.  One option I'm thinking about is listed as used for $7k more than the new price, asking price.  New ones are hard to find, not impossible though, some dealers are asking above MSRP.  I'd guess ATVs might be similar.  Of course, my trade in is worth more now too.

@Sledgehammeri agree, in my opinion, they are more of a novelty than a purposeful/practical vehicle unless you are using for work. 

you can get more bang for your buck from a vehicle but the weight/size in some instances is not desirable, convenient for yard/garden work, blah blah blah................

we have gotten easy/lazy, what i used to do with a wheel barrow, wagon behind a lawn mower, i do with mom n dads kawasaki mule, I like it dont get me wrong and its very practical for around the farm stuff. It doesnt go zippy fast like a ranger. was only 5500 and at their age they needed it. 

here at my place vs up at mom n dads/our farm, i use a dump wagon behind my lawn mower or atv if there is too much snow/mud. 

I use the bucket on my CUT to carry stuff at times too. I am not at the point where I could justify it. I would use an ATV at mom n dads with a trailer at my age if needed. I could get by. 

I would not go from my atv to a utv due to size and going around in woods. lots to think about here - its convenient having a utv at farm for getting closer to hunting spots when conditions are bad you just dont tear up roads and make ruts like a heavy vehicle does. 

sometimes i force myself to walk, just for the sake of its good for me 

definitely a big decision and much to ponder on the use, cost/benefit 

a utv for a rancher would be way different checking large acreages/fences/cattle but for us its kind of a waste 90% of the time

i bet @sandhiller would be a good example of this, i bet there are times ( if he has a utv ) he just takes a horse instead - i know I would, nothing like connecting with your horse vs a Japanese mule

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I was talking with the neighbor tonight and they have a couple side by sides as many farmers do now-a-days. He mentioned that they were thinking about trading theirs in.  I’ve considered one as the little guy is getting almost too big to ride on the tank of my little Honda Fat Cat.  Is there any sort of Kelly Blue Book or NADA of UTV value?  

The machine in question is a Polaris Ranger 10 00 with 4500 adult only miles on it. Hard roof, glass windshield, glass back window.  I’ve been around a Ranger 800 and a Ranger 900 some so I am familiar with them to an extent but have never owned one personally.  They will set a price but I really don’t know what the used market is like on these. It is recently serviced and had the belt changed professionally at a dealer but they are honest and take care of their equipment so it isn’t a time bomb or anything. 

I would never have a john deere tractor in my barn 

However I have a JD zero turn mower and have had two JD gators and they have been good machines I will be getting a new Gator this fall  they have been bullet proof

4 hours ago, Kevingweq said:

Just gave $800

For this ranger 4wd and AC ?

Frame in good shape no engine light.

Not that I wouldn't enjoy a side by side

20210625_145317.thumb.jpg.91d8b6eeeb8387d7c8fa1d488d3a6993.jpg

Unless my eyes are way off, that Ranger has side by side seating

• Like 2
  • Haha 1