Jump to content

John Deere question...........


dads706
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

None of them surprise me except for the 7020 or 7520.  

Go onto Steffes auction. Archived sales. Guy had the almost entire lineup. 7520,7020 but was missing a couple of the small ones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2021 at 10:26 PM, TP from Central PA said:

Nobody said hate..............What I said was hard running and 404 aren't used in the same sentence by most, they were slugs.  Eventually they got the 466 under the hood and things kept improving, but when you run that turbo'ed 404 next to a turbo'ed IH, there is no comparison.  

I'll agree with this statement 100%. I call the 404 a 4 stroke Deere version of a Detroit 71 series engine. Keep it wound up and you're fine. But hit a tough spot and it falls flat on its face quicker than a 95 year old Grandma slipping on a icy spot. And yes I've been around them and used them. Chop corn every year with a Deere 5440 self propelled chopper. You hit a slug itll fall on its face in no time flat.

I'll admit a 466 is a good solid engine. Deere finally started figuring out how to make a lugger out of their engines. 

Never been around a 8.1 so I can't pass personal judgment on it. Been on a 9.0 but was just packing silage with it so cant pass judgment on it power and lug ability wise.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

that was a cool evolution video. The rack has a magnet that holds it in start fuel until it gets enough rpm and heat to speed up to about 1200 rpm. The 404 gutless issue was also related to the fuel settings. Many, many new JD tractors had the pumps removed and recalibrated for a torque rise. Deere pumps never had torque rise in their settings until the 40 series, and stronger as each new series came out. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Injpumped said:

that was a cool evolution video. The rack has a magnet that holds it in start fuel until it gets enough rpm and heat to speed up to about 1200 rpm. The 404 gutless issue was also related to the fuel settings. Many, many new JD tractors had the pumps removed and recalibrated for a torque rise. Deere pumps never had torque rise in their settings until the 40 series, and stronger as each new series came out. 

Thanks for posting with your knowledge. I do know it clearly states in the operators manual how to start a 30 series. If that excess fuel linkage doesn’t reset they will not start.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The early 30 series had the mousetrap start fuel linkage, later 30 series redesigned to a piston activated by oil pressure, same design used on the Magnums with aneroids. I've converted many over. Now I just eliminate the aneroid action lol!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Never been around a 8.1 so I can't pass personal judgment on it. Been on a 9.0 but was just packing silage with it so cant pass judgment on it power and lug ability wise.

I drove a Deere 8420 last fall in front of a big dry manure spreader.  I think those have the 8.1 in, and the 8520 got the 9.0?  Not way sure. Anyway, that tractor had excellent lugging characteristics. Better than the turned up 8.3 CIH I am used to. I would imagine the electronic fuel system helps.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Injpumped said:

The early 30 series had the mousetrap start fuel linkage, later 30 series redesigned to a piston activated by oil pressure, same design used on the Magnums with aneroids. I've converted many over. Now I just eliminate the aneroid action lol!

Again your a wealth of knowledge. I guess I did know that the last 30s had the hydraulic activated just spaced that out. I do want to buy a nice 4450 one day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gearclash said:

I drove a Deere 8420 last fall in front of a big dry manure spreader.  I think those have the 8.1 in, and the 8520 got the 9.0?  Not way sure. Anyway, that tractor had excellent lugging characteristics. Better than the turned up 8.3 CIH I am used to. I would imagine the electronic fuel system helps.  

Hard to beat those 20's IMO..............

Dale, the 4450 and 4455 will be the next generation 4020 IMO.................They were rock solid, reliable machines that just worked.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Hard to beat those 20's IMO..............

Dale, the 4450 and 4455 will be the next generation 4020 IMO.................They were rock solid, reliable machines that just worked.  

The 15 speed powershift and they do start better than a 4430. I am not colorblind I love all tractors. I am more partial to IHC just because running 806, 1586 and super ms were big part of my childhood. But I also ran A jds 4020s and 8630s Then there isn’t a JD tractor model up until the 7400 series that I haven’t had an intimate relationship with all working parts of the tractor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gearclash said:

I drove a Deere 8420 last fall in front of a big dry manure spreader.  I think those have the 8.1 in, and the 8520 got the 9.0?  Not way sure. Anyway, that tractor had excellent lugging characteristics. Better than the turned up 8.3 CIH I am used to. I would imagine the electronic fuel system helps.  

All the 8020s had the 8.1 engine. 

9.0 was first used in the 8030 series. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, dale560 said:

The 15 speed powershift and they do start better than a 4430. I am not colorblind I love all tractors. I am more partial to IHC just because running 806, 1586 and super ms were big part of my childhood. But I also ran A jds 4020s and 8630s Then there isn’t a JD tractor model up until the 7400 series that I haven’t had an intimate relationship with all working parts of the tractor.

I probably could park a power quad 7000 here over the older sound gard versions...............I like the 7000's alot, although not a fan of the powershifts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...