Northeast guys...........Am I nuts or is there more snakes this year????

Always some around, but this year I have been seeing alot more snakes of all types, although all of them up until now were non-posionous................Today we loaded my kids rear engine Deere mower up and went up to mow along a board fence/gate at the landlords field opening.  Its right next to a well used state road, a house is next door so it isn't out in the middle of no man's land.  I got him started mowing along the fence in ankle or a tad higher grass, and was using the weed wacker around the posts...........Next thing I hear the mower bog down and out fly snake pieces.  He chopped up a rattle snake:lol:  Said he didn't notice anything before he ran it over.  Never seen one that close to a house/activity before..................Am I nuts?  Sure seems like there is alot more out there this year, especially after this?

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Always some around, but this year I have been seeing alot more snakes of all types, although all of them up until now were non-posionous................Today we loaded my kids rear engine Deere mower up and went up to mow along a board fence/gate at the landlords field opening.  Its right next to a well used state road, a house is next door so it isn't out in the middle of no man's land.  I got him started mowing along the fence in ankle or a tad higher grass, and was using the weed wacker around the posts...........Next thing I hear the mower bog down and out fly snake pieces.  He chopped up a rattle snake:lol:  Said he didn't notice anything before he ran it over.  Never seen one that close to a house/activity before..................Am I nuts?  Sure seems like there is alot more out there this year, especially after this?

Actually, I think around me snake activity is down from a couple years ago when I would catch them with my mower not more than a few hundred feet from the house.  There are more birds of prey around and I think that plays into it a lot.  I am seeing more feral/ wild cats around that would compete for mice.  My belief is that as one goes further south into NY's Southern Tier then PA's Northern Tier that there is less wide spread activity by humans.  This would allow for a greater presence by animals such as snakes including the poisonous kind.  There is quite a bit of land that was tilled or hayed that is now pasture or growing up to brush which makes a good habitat for snakes.  Been thinking about a little trip down towards Hornell and Wellsville SW of me just to see what has gone on in the last several years in terms of farm changes.  Used to be smaller farms with people spaced closer together with kids having guns to shoot at animals such as snakes.  It all factors in.

I'm seeing more here, but that's normal when it's this dry. My house is at the bottom of a small mountain, between it and the stream below. All the water on the mountain is dried up so the critters are moving down here to be closer to the stream. At least that's my story and I'm sticki'n to it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yellowrosefarm said:

I'm seeing more here, but that's normal when it's this dry. My house is at the bottom of a small mountain, between it and the stream below. All the water on the mountain is dried up so the critters are moving down here to be closer to the stream. At least that's my story and I'm sticki'n to it.

Normally that would make sense, but we are wet...................That is what doesn't make sense to me, was really dry last year, actually driest it has been in a long time, and that is what I am wondering if it had a effect on this year.  It was also odd that a creek runs through here too, it doesn't go dry, or atleast never has in my lifetime, and as dry as it was last year, I never noticed snakes like I have in the past during dry years.

1 hour ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Virgina border is maybe 2 hours from us.  Amazing that you are all dried up.  I would say we are abnormally wet.  We had one dry spell for about 3 weeks at the end of May and since then it hasn't quit raining.  Crazy t storms several times a week and a day or so a week of steady rain.  This could of course change in an instant but the last 6 weeks have been super wet.

• Like 1

Really not seeing any more snakes then normal.  Only seen a few of what we would call garder snakes this year.  Not even a black snake yet.

3 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

Virgina border is maybe 2 hours from us.  Amazing that you are all dried up.  I would say we are abnormally wet.  We had one dry spell for about 3 weeks at the end of May and since then it hasn't quit raining.  Crazy t storms several times a week and a day or so a week of steady rain.  This could of course change in an instant but the last 6 weeks have been super wet.

Yes, we get rain every day............Storm going through right now actually. 

10 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

This has been the driest spring for us in my memory. Many cow guys have never stopped feeding hay. About half of my place is creek bottom and grass is still growing there enough to feed my small herd so far. The upper half is about down to dirt at this point. It's looking bad all around this area.

Saturday morning.....no lights on in shop, I head out there to get a serial number. Walking back into office and whoa Nellie big black snake oozing across floor. Swept him outside and later in day noticed he was laying on parking lot dead, maybe drank so antifreeze or something. 

I haven't seen any more snakes than normal. Thankfully no rattlers at all. Super wet here too.

18 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

House and human activity doesn't keep rattlesnakes away unless the human activity includes massive extermination efforts. I know this from my in-laws place. Common place for people to see a rattlesnake there  is going in the road pipe at mother in laws and the pipe is 75' tops from the house

1 hour ago, bitty said:

House and human activity doesn't keep rattlesnakes away unless the human activity includes massive extermination efforts. I know this from my in-laws place. Common place for people to see a rattlesnake there  is going in the road pipe at mother in laws and the pipe is 75' tops from the house

Interesting..........Always had better chances of seeing copperheads by homes out in the woods here than rattlesnakes..............Only ones I ever seen were in shaded field edges next to stone fence rows not close to any human activity............well until yesterday.

On 7/13/2021 at 8:48 PM, TP from Central PA said:

Normally that would make sense, but we are wet..........

They eat frogs too

I don't see many snakes, maybe 2-3 years between garter snake sightings. This year I've got a three footer living under a big rock in a lawn and I have to wait for it to crawl back under so I can trim around it every week. We seem to have a mutual understanding. I hope it lasts, I don’t like snakes. 

8 hours ago, Dave Shepard said:

I don't see many snakes, maybe 2-3 years between garter snake sightings. This year I've got a three footer living under a big rock in a lawn and I have to wait for it to crawl back under so I can trim around it every week. We seem to have a mutual understanding. I hope it lasts, I don’t like snakes. 

They all got flattened by 38 year old female lawyers driving SUV's on the Mass Turnpike on their way to their vacation homes which are many miles out of Bean Town.

I parked my A with the 6' woods mower over one in the yard two nights ago after I swerved to catch it . I made sure I was full throttle with the deck on the ground 

• Confused 1