IH 330 fluid capacity’s and types

3 hours ago, busted knuckles said:

Looks like a fun project, I tried to look it up on the net for you and had zero success. Someone here will know.

+ - 2%  to 340/350

Yes, all that information is in the owner's manuals to a degree. Considering how many hundreds, possibly thousands, of dollars you now have invested in this tractor, plus the value it will be bringing to you, it seems silly to quibble over $25-50 for an owner's manual, especially if this is your first tractor as your handle indicates.

There are a couple of updates to the manual as the lubricants specified are no longer available. In both the transmission and hydraulic system you would use CaseIH Hytran or an equivalent oil. You can no longer get the TA additive or Touch Control Fluid or whatever is specified in the owner's manual. It was replaced by the Hytran series of lubricants, currently Hytran Premium.

Any universal tractor transmission hydraulic fluid that specifies CaseIH Hytran or JD HyGard (usually both) on the label is perfectly fine for an old tractor like this. You do not have to worry about warranty coverage and exotic materials and mechanisms in an old tractor like this.

For the engine any good quality engine oil is fine. If you have a favorite that you buy by the case for other things, use it in the tractor.

3 minutes ago, Firsttimetractor58IH330 said:

I know that’s right.. My steering it’s not power assisted it has a grease fitting at the base I’ve heard originally they were filled with 90w and then some were converted to just take grease, is this true?

Yes it was originally gear oil. Grease saves from fixing leaks. If using grease I would at least use a moly grease.

• Thanks 1

I come from an industrial background and I'm going to include a cross-reference for oils. 10W motor oil has been impossible for me to find however ISO 32 appears to be the same according to this chart and is readily available. If someone has more information with regards to their compatibility and lubrication properties I hope they chime in. This much I know for sure, the gentleman we had in the boiler room used ISO32 in all of our air compressors and hydraulic systems and he swears by it.

Viscosity-Equivalent-Chart.jpg

1 hour ago, Tonys 300 Utility said:

I come from an industrial background and I'm going to include a cross-reference for oils. 10W motor oil has been impossible for me to find however ISO 32 appears to be the same according to this chart and is readily available. If someone has more information with regards to their compatibility and lubrication properties I hope they chime in. This much I know for sure, the gentleman we had in the boiler room used ISO32 in all of our air compressors and hydraulic systems and he swears by it.

Viscosity-Equivalent-Chart.jpg

I don't know where your recommending this oil for. On this tractor I could only OK its use in the hydraulic system. The TA in this tractor is what prompted the creation of hytran in the first place. The over running clutch has special lube needs. The pto combines high speed planet gears with friction material on the bands. Again special needs. Modern hytran has had a lot of changes not needed for this machine. It only makes sense to follow Matts recommendations above.