Tractor of the week # 17 560

INTERNATIONAL 1466

The 560 was quite a tractor in its day. Many 560's plowed thousands of acres back in the day. They are still relatively easy to find on many farms today. I had my turn with a 560 diesel for a few years. Mine even had the dealer install IH turbo. I never farmed with mine, only did tractor pulling with it. Sold it several years ago and as it turns out it is in the possession of a fellow forum member now after it was lost for a while. Here are a couple pictures from years ago when I pulled it. Also a picture of a nice restored one. Let's see some more y'all.

KIMG2310.jpg

KIMG2210.jpg

blog_introduction560_image2.jpg

• Like 12

Wish I still had pics of a 560 I had seen at a sale with a wide front and LP. That was a cool tractor. 

• Like 1

I have to say Lorenzo’s dualled up version looks better than new❤️

And more importantly being used...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I bought a gasser at the Paul Cole estate sale in the early 90's . He had a junkyard (and was killed crank starting a tractor in gear maybe?) . Mine had an aftermarket WF and I swapped to an IH one . That was a mistake for turning radius reasons. It went down the road a few years later when I lost interest in it. If it would have had a fast hitch I probably would have kept it longer . I have a 460 parts machine that our mechanic is getting. No pictures of the one I had 

• Like 1

No pics but there were a ton of em in the hayfields around here. 

Probably still a few. 

They were a very popular tractor for haying. 

• Like 2

This is the 560 my Dad farmed with. Bought new in November of 1963. Saw it sitting on a rail flatcar next to the local dealer, next day they called and said it was ready to go. So Mom took him to town and he drove it back home. For the next few days, Dad and another hired hand got the 560 LP ready and mounted a IH #30 cotton stripper on it. They had just finished doing that and at the house eating lunch when news of the shooting of JFK came on TV.

My son and l went back to that farm about 5 years ago and found the 560. Talked to the original owner's (my Dad's boss) son and he said they had still used the 560 pulling a sandfighter and plowing turnrows up till the year before.

008.JPG

• Like 11

37 minutes ago, twostepn2001 said:

This is the 560 my Dad farmed with. Bought new in November of 1963. Saw it sitting on a rail flatcar next to the local dealer, next day they called and said it was ready to go. So Mom took him to town and he drove it back home. For the next few days, Dad and another hired hand got the 560 LP ready and mounted a IH #30 cotton stripper on it. They had just finished doing that and at the house eating lunch when news of the shooting of JFK came on TV.

My son and l went back to that farm about 5 years ago and found the 560. Talked to the original owner's (my Dad's boss) son and he said they had still used the 560 pulling a sandfighter and plowing turnrows up till the year before.

008.JPG

What happened to the cotton stripper?

Mike

3 hours ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

What happened to the cotton stripper?

Mike

At the end of the cotton harvest season, the strippers were taken off and the single front wheel was changed back to the wide front end. ln the mid to late 70's, the tractor mounted stripper was replaced self propelled model #95's and a little later with model #1400's.

When l asked the owner's son about the old strippers, he just said they were gone and didn't go into any detail. He still has 3 of the model #1400 and last l heard he still uses them.

4 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

008.JPG

My grandpa remembers coming home from school on 11-22 (school was called out I think) and his dad was watching it and crying. 

Neat story on the 560. That’s a late one since the 7 and 806 came out in June ‘63. I assume that one had fenders but removed for the strippers. 

That is like the one I saw at auction, though it was in pretty nice cosmetic shape.

We had a 59 560 diesel years ago. Had to use the glow plugs to start it on a 80° day but would go a week on a tank of fuel. We used it for bailing and an auger tractor. The one that I have now Was a previous diesel but the owners that had it before me blew up the motor and put an 806 gas motor in it and then put the floater tires on the back because they used it as a pulling tractor for a long time. They put the loader on it and it came in my possession about five years ago. Really would rather have a diesel one as that’s what we had originally. We also put the flat top fenders on it after we put the cab on the 1256 so I think that made it neater yet. That’s another tractor on my bucket list to add. Here’s a couple pictures of the one I have in the meantime. 

96900076-4235-4F44-906B-970E6FA8F3F8.jpeg

9BA7DC4F-0B98-4C0A-8AC2-4C1928BB3F58.jpeg

CA838064-5FC7-402A-B73E-E0F1C11BF5DD.jpeg

EDE18ADC-EB3E-43AA-B462-670C94D83D50.jpeg

• Like 6