C-175 Question

Rookie question...

Can someone confirm for me that there are, in fact, sleeves in the cylinders on the C-175 engine. I'm thinking of doing some work on the engine in my 350 RC and would expect there are sleeves in the cylinders. Should I replace those as well as the rings or can I just do the rings? This is a working tractor that I use to rake hay with, run a rotary mower and occasionally a Ford 552 square baler.

Replacement sleeves normally come with new pistons and rings, and new spirolocs for the wrist pins in the pistons are in the box somewhere too.

Was pretty typical to grind the valve seats and valve heads and install new piston rings while reusing the pistons and sleeves.  Main & conn rod bearings were checked for clearance and most seals & gaskets replaced.

Replacing sleeves & pistons was considered a major overhaul.

To remove the sleeves, you will need a sleeve puller. They are press fit. If you don't  have one or access to one, might be best to take the block to a good machine shop.

• Like 1

Many guys will tell you that you can't just do rings. In some cases you can't, such as when the cylinder bores are severely worn, egg-shaped, tapered top to bottom, ridge around the top. Many a "ring job" has been done over the years. If you're not going to do the work yourself and you don't mind doing it over on the off chance that it doesn't work/help.. I certainly would not pay a mechanic to do a ring job.

I really hate to tear into the thing as it runs fine - just smokes a little.

I've considered just honing the existing sleeves (ball type from Flex Hone) and installing new rings on the same pistons. But... I may just leave it alone and use it as is...

It could turn out worse than it is right now - which is my kinda luck!!

Always a possibility that the valve guides or seals might need some attention...

Good luck..

Keep us posted

Mike 

4 minutes ago, mikem said:

Always a possibility that the valve guides or seals might need some attention...

Good luck..

Keep us posted

Mike 

Yeah... I thought IF I tear into this thing, one task will be taking the head to a machine shop to have the valves turned and replace the guide seals.

12 hours ago, snoshoe said:

If it smokes at idle and lets out a cloud when you jerk the throttle open. Then runs clear. Thats guides

Thanks my man!!