My run at Hammond Wi July 3th

twood1954

It depends on who built the turbo and how hard you turn it.  The turbo was 3 years old.  We changed injection pump and tractor turned over 1000 more RPMS.  It drove the turbo too hard.  We will fix that issue with new one.  

• Like 1

I never had very good luck with Hart's lasting.  Wimmer's are much more durable and produce more  power. I had over 200 runs on the turbo.  Looking at data logger I over speed the turbo.  

41 minutes ago, twood1954 said:

I never had very good luck with Hart's lasting.  Wimmer's are much more durable and produce more  power. I had over 200 runs on the turbo.  Looking at data logger I over speed the turbo.  

First, I always enjoy your videos. Thank you. 

Second, a few questions if you don't mind since I do not have any idea, as long as it is not top secret. What speed was the turbo spinning? 

You said that you were turning 1000 RPM more. What speed is the engine running?

What happens when the turbo "blows"? I assume that the fan is ripped apart by the spinning force?

I have always enjoyed watching pulls but I admit I don't know much about the mechanics of the tractor. They are pretty far removed from anything I have worked on or with. Thanks again 

Peak rpms was 5250, data logger rpms for turbo was just over 120,000 rpms.  According to engine builder, the fins get so hot at the high rpms that aluminum loose all strength. Got luck and cross over pipe caught all the junk nothing went into the engine.  Thanks for asking.  I am willing to share some of the information, so that more people enjoy pulling.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You welcomed.  What amazes me is how many stock parts are still in engine.  For example, stock crank, rods, and head.  Just shows how over designed the 400 series engines were. HP north of 1400 with single 3X4 inch turbo.  

• Like 2

fun fun until something breaks, that woudl be my demise I hate tearing things up adn having to fix them or pay for having someone to fix it - brave soul you are, great looking tractor 

Nice looking tractor. Sure looked to be a very pull. Glad it was only turbo and nothing got into engine.