Battery operated grease gun

IHC5488

Anyone use the battery operated grease guns?

What kind?

Reliable?

Go with brand from the same batteries and tools previously in tool box?

Milwaukee, DeWalt, Lincoln??

Thanks for your help.

Matt

I have a 20 volt Dewalt that I got at TSC. I love it, good battery life and uses the same batteries as my other cordless tools.

There was a long thread on this same topic about a year ago. Do a search, it might have good information.

• Like 1

if you already have brand x stay with it.

If you need direction, I say buy Milwaukee.

Had a Lincoln, didn't last.

The new Li-ion batteries have the old ni-cad stuff beat.

So if you have a ni-cad dewalt get the new milwaukee, you will be glad you did.
 I typically use a case of grease per week, every week.

• Like 2

I like my Lincoln but I am down to one battery. Last weekend had to wait for it to charge. I think it was on the third grease cartridge.  So today if the Lincoln quit I would buy for common battery for the rest of my tools

• Like 1

Happy with my Milwaukee m18. Have had it for 3 years now. Had problems with the 2 speed this winter so I dropped it off at the service center. Turned out it was just some junk that had gotten into the 2 speed switch. Fixed it for me at no charge.  I have a bunch of other Milwaukee stuff so it wasn’t a hard decision for me which way to go.  I have a lock n lube connector on it and a adapter to put a regular grease gun hose on the end of that  for the tight spots. 

• Like 1

I have 2 DeWalts.  18 and 20 volt. Zero problems. In the interest of commonality I would get whatever brand grease gun matches the cordless tools you already have—if you have any. 

• Like 1

We have a old Alemite. Had it for 10 years or a little over now. If its lasted this long around here, it can't be too bad.

Batteries don't last as long as they used to. But they are the original batteries. Just make sure you charge before you need it and you'll be fine. 

We love the Milwaukee we got about 6 months ago at work. Total game changer when it comes to track adjusters, new wheelbarrow wheels, anything that takes a whole tube or multiple tubes at once. Had a lock n lube on it at first, but the slot n the thumb lever wore out very quickly. Now, it has a different brand but similar action.

Cousin's , and my sister and I all bought the DeWalt when they first came out , we have all thrown them away . All had the same issue. 

Put in a new tube of grease, push the rod back in and the plunger goes sideways. Then you have to take it apart , dig  the grease out , reassemble and try again .  
That spring and plunger assembly is a real challenge to get back together when it’s bone dry but after it’s been full of grease it’s about ten times worse. 

No more Dewalt for us . 

I had most of the DeWalt line up and used them for years . No issues at all . 

Started buying Milwaukee a couple years ago and now only have a couple DeWalt tool left.  No doubt in my mind that the Milwaukee is a better battery and all around tool. 

• Sad 1

bought a Lincoln but the batteries were lousey. good gun though so bought a Dewalt 18v with a lock and lube. Had it quite a few years with no problems. Would like to switch to milwaukee but I got a lot of 18 dewalt tools that dont want to give up

I have a 20v Alemite gun. It’s great. My brother has a Milwaukee. Also great. I never liked the Lincoln’s, but the newer ones may be better. My neighbor had a Plews battery gun. It was terrible. Those are the only ones I have experience with. 

Got the Dewalt 20 volt as I already had other Dewalt 20 volt tools. It's done good for me the two years I had it.

Like the Milwaukee way way way better than the Lincoln. No experience with dewalt. If you have a brand of tool get the brand of gun.

• Like 1

i had a Lincoln 14 v [ i think ] i loved it, after 5 years the battery died and a new battery was $$$ and i have 1/2 of the dewalt tools so i bought the 20 v dewalt and i like it, i put 1 of the lock-n-lube ends on it 

We have had the Milwaukee 3 years sense father's day and have yet to have a issue. It came as a set with a small and large battery,charger,and 1/2 inch impact gun it helps the batteries are rarely under 50 degrees . My favorite is the adjuster for how many pumps it gives 

When My Lincoln gave up the ?, I replaced with Milwaukee.

All my corded and cordless power tools are Milwaukee.

Years of service in and out of the shop have proved to me they are the best.

The grease gun is well thought out, ergonomic and easy to use.

I like the two pressure/volume settings and being able to set how many pumps per trigger pull.

20 volt Dewalt here. It works well, no problems. 3 impacts and a drill all 20 volt Dewalt so battery commonality drove the decision. I suggest as others above have to go with whatever brand you already have unless you have older low voltage stuff then decide what modern battery tools you like and go with that line.

I'm quite amazed at how much I use the cordless tools. Air impacts stay in my toolbox. Even the little 1/4" impact with the QC bit chuck gets a workout.

16 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

We have a old Alemite. Had it for 10 years or a little over now. If its lasted this long around here, it can't be too bad.

Batteries don't last as long as they used to. But they are the original batteries. Just make sure you charge before you need it and you'll be fine. 

I had one of those didn’t last two years for me .

2 hours ago, jass1660 said:

We got rid of all of them. Guys were over lubing bearings and blowing the seals out of them.

Good to know.  My reason for the grease gun was so I could stop standing on my head while trying to pump grease when working on the combine.  Seems easier to just pull a trigger.

Thank you everyone for their input and replies.  I have DeWalt tools, I like their products and have had good luck with them.  I prefer the Milwaukee impact over the DeWalt because of the torque ratings so I figured I would start a small Milwaukee collection.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IHC5488 said:

Good to know.  My reason for the grease gun was so I could stop standing on my head while trying to pump grease when working on the combine.  Seems easier to just pull a trigger.

Thank you everyone for their input and replies.  I have DeWalt tools, I like their products and have had good luck with them.  I prefer the Milwaukee impact over the DeWalt because of the torque ratings so I figured I would start a small Milwaukee collection.

We do use one for filling the gearboxes on the corn head that’s the nice part.

• Like 1

i think the thread last year was from me, since then i did buy the dewalt 20 volt, still have the 2 lincoln 14.4 volts also, the dealt seemed clumzy at first compared to the lincolns but am getting use to it, all the other cordless is dewalt and also did buy a 18 to 20 volt converter, we dont use our cordless tools that much as there are probably 4 18 volt drills that i will probably never wear out, am slowly swithching to some 20 volt stuff, township has 2 18 volt milwaukees  they seem good also,