Brought this home today. New toy.

1951 TD-9.   Running condition. Probably going to swap engine and UC onto my 56 TD9-91.

TD91951model.jpg

TD91951modela.jpg

• Like 3

Theory is to make one good dozer out of two. For what I paid for it, I couldn't have overhauled my motor or put a new undercarriage on it. This one still needs some TLC but UC and motor are good.  We'll see if "theory" becomes reality or backfires!  

Looks like a previous owner put a new UC on this machine. Rails/chain/bushings/pins all seem to be in excellent condition. 16" shoes in good shape but grouser bars worn down with approx. 1 " height.  But sprockets look a bit warn to me and I wonder if they were changed at the same time?  Opinions?

20210711_085439.jpg

20210711_085459.jpg

20210711_090032.jpg

20210711_090808_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

Your pic in first post shows left track is on backward.  Both may be.  This would add to sprocket and bushing wear.  I would put sprockets on opposite sides and turn track groups around.

Dennis

• Like 3

I think you're saying that my sprockets are worn enough that I should get new ones?  Is there no place here in Tru Dough land that I could get them?

Another option is to use these sprockets on the other dozer. They appear to be in better shape than the sprocket in the photo I posted above.

20210712_090131.jpg

20210712_090048.jpg

• Like 1

No. Left and right side.  Maybe one side was changed one time, I don't know. 

Almost looks like the lower sprocket was a weld on? All the ones I ever saw and there were many had a shiny weld like Nirod

U/C wear had a few problems but the one is the wear on the sprocket is smaller diameter as it wears and the chains stretch needing a bigger OD sprocket so as they wear they are going in the opposite direction, your first sprocket the teeth are worn down and pulled, the bottom one is not as severe but is starting to get washed out, you should tighten your chain and measure the distance across 5 pins-4 links and it will give you a better idea of where your chains are at, internal p&b wear accounts for most of it, then you can decide if it would warrant new sprockets, at least there is that new part option available 

• Like 1

A bad sprocket will make a fair chain bad fast so if you can run the best sprockets you can muster. The above look very poor the below aah not too bad. IH wear specs on chain pitch allow 1\8" elongation per link for normal everyday use and 3/16" if you run on soft ground. So for my old tractor being run with moderation I feel I can push the chains to 1/4" over as long as they aren't ridding high on teeth.

What do you think of the sprocket shown in the 5th picture from the top on this thread?  That's what's on the "new machine" with the good chain. It is not the same sprocket(s) shown just above this message.

Pins are riding on the tooth tips, not good, you can see the marks where the contact is occurring, I would measure the chain and then see how much it is worn if new weld on sprocket rims will work

• Like 1

Great. Thanks for these comments and advice. It looks to me like previous owners put new chain onto the dozer without changing the sprockets. And then they put it on backwards.  My sprockets on the TD9-91 are better but the chain/shoes are completely done.  The chains seem so good to me on this purchased machine that maybe I should consider weld on sprocket rims for the TD9-91.  Trying to sort out all these issues (as you can see with my other messages) to decide whether to fix up the TD9 or part it onto my TD9-91. And I'm leaning towards that more and more.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 10:12 PM, td9bcf180 said:

1951 TD-9.   Running condition. Probably going to swap engine and UC onto my 56 TD9-91.

TD91951model.jpg

TD91951modela.jpg

Nice looking 9.

• Like 1

Thanks Buddy.  This TD9 (1951) is in better shape than my TD9-91 (1956) so from what I can tell from part numbers from 2 different books for each machine, some parts are interchangeable. 

Compare this picture from the seat of my TD9-91 to the second photo at the top of this thread. The updated versions moved the air cleaner from between your legs to under the hood. The tranny shifter lever was moved to the right. The hydraulic lines and piping were moved from "in front of your face" to under the seat. And the dash and controls are different. I think all these side panels/dash/tranny cover/hydraulics shown in this photo will replace the same items on the older dozer. More room, nicer to operate.  The advantages of the "older dozer" are a better UC and running motor.  

The older machine had a manually engaged starter with no solenoid on top of it. The fuel filter was a one element unit for a Bosch injection pump.  To update the starter to a push button type with solenoid on top, I removed the single filter element housing and bolted on my 2 element bracket from the TD9-91. It curves upwards which gives room for the newer style starter with solenoid attached.  Learning some new tricks but I am lucky enough to have the newer TD9-91 to swap parts from.

Td991seatanddash.jpg

• Like 2

I have the 150B trackloader and a TD9B w\Drott Skid Shovel for parts. They are almost twins as for parts. I have noticed that the steer clutches have stayed the same from early 9s all the way up to the 150B at least. My UC will last my life I think but after 25 yrs of near flawless intermittent work, I am into a steer clutch overhaul.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

FINALLY, I have this TD9 running well.  (did not spend much time on it this summer for various reasons, but...).

Extra parts from other machines helped the cause.

Anyhow- I put a new starter on it with a solenoid on top of it so the fuel filter housing had to be changed. Then I thought I had carburetor issues and did a lot of fussing/cleaning with that.  New batteries.  It had newer spark plug wires and plugs when it came here so I didn't spend much time with that.  BUT- I should have!  It came down to the spark plug gaps were way off so with 30 seconds of plier twisting and reinstall- it fired up instantly.  One bad injector on # 3 but I have another one to swap into it. 

8 times out of 10 it's the simple things.

Now- it has to do some work.

Thanks for everyone's help and comments on this.  

• Thanks 2

Congratulations. The blood, sweat, endless wire brushing pays off when you get a big ol bite of earth with a crawler you saved yourself!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Most work this TD9 has done in quite a while. I spent all morning spreading the gravel on my driveway into the cottage and then took a run at the stump you see in 3rd photo to try and loosen up the right hand steering clutch. Still frozen (and will probably have to come out) but I did shine up the blade today.  It has a few other minor issues and needs (at least) one injector tested but overall I was quite satisfied with it starting up good and running not too bad. 

20210906_153330.jpg

20210906_153521.jpg

20210906_153647.jpg

• Like 5