Finally got rid of the M!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oldtanker

59 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

He questioned yours giving it away................Probably pulling a 256 hay rake right now with it with a big huge smile!!!!!! 

Pulling a what? 1: he doesn't farm. 2: everyone around here uses 8-10 wheel rakes behind tractors with AC and a cab. That thing is most likely gonna be a trailer witch going to shows.

Rick

2 hours ago, oldtanker said:

Pulling a what? 1: he doesn't farm. 2: everyone around here uses 8-10 wheel rakes behind tractors with AC and a cab. That thing is most likely gonna be a trailer witch going to shows.

Rick

You easily win the "M anger Award" for the entire country.......................

3 hours ago, oldtanker said:

Rick

Yea but there’s always that one person in the area that has a 7 ft rake that rakes hay together every now and then that you don’t know about..lol 

I have a set of old John Deere rakes that plus great with either the H or the M. Does a fine job at putting two windrows together, and let’s me save the big tractors for the big jobs.

If somebody offered me an M like that for free, I would have no problem taking it, putting tires on it, and putting it to work.  Could use something like that around here.

• Like 2

Man if I known he really wanted it to go I might've made a trip. Wouldn't mind a H or M to take to some plow days and for a show or two.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wes806 said:

Man if I known he really wanted it to go I might've made a trip. Wouldn't mind a H or M to take to some plow days and for a show or two.

Would look good with my ‘48 Cub too?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IHhogfarmer said:

Yea but there’s always that one person in the area that has a 7 ft rake that rakes hay together every now and then that you don’t know about..lol 

Not really. Here almost everyone including the "small guy" is running 1000 acers or more. Smallest dairy in the area I know of is 400 cows. Those guys are not going to find an M a usable tractor. Heck small goat milker here has 200 milkers. He's feeding rounds. Last small dairy was my nephew. 40 cows. Just wasn't cost effective. He's now running 1000 acres and 200 head of beef. His small tractor is an 826. M won't run his grain auger. Area to area things change. Wests of us by 50 miles a 250 HP MFW tractor is a chore tractor. Even me, 200 acres, a few head of beef before I self retired from it the M ran a brush cutter. That's all it was good for. I was cutting with a Hesston 14 foot swing arm and baling with a Vemeer. About the only thing the M could be used for was the poo spreader and brush cutter. It's a tractor that has outlived it's usefulness under most applications. Only people buying here are folks with 5-10 acre farms and collectors. Heck even the 5 acre people are buying Kubota's and JD's over an old M, H or 8N today. Times change. People change. I grew up in NJ in the burbs of Newark and NYC. My dad, farm kid from WI got Farm Journal, Mechanic's Illustrated and Popular Illustrated back then, 1960-1970. Modern was preached at me. So the round design of the H and M are old. The utility tractor wasn't really acknowledged back then so the Fords were not covered very much. Actually saw more coverage of the IH crawlers like the T4/5 TD4/5 than the Ford 100 series and early 1000 series. Now being a retired Army Armor Crewman (tanker) I love track systems. My dream tractor is the TD 340 with loader, 3 point and PTO. In useable condition with spares. Not going to happen. First tractor I ever operated was an old Tiger garden tractor.

http://www.tigergardentractor.com/images/883-feature1.jpg

That was followed by a WFE Super C and a MM U. The next was both a 560 and 826.

I know where the first 560 is and the owner won't part with it. He also has the 826. Modern designs! Good PS! Good Live PTO and hydraulics! Why would I want something that lacked both? Why on earth would I like a tractor that never had LIVE Hydraulics or Power Steering? Or Live PTO? Most of you guys never had to work a field or plant a crop with that old crap. I have and I wasn't raised a farm kid like some of you were. I was a city boy!

Heck I haven't seen a 7' rake in ages. Last time I did was a guy about 15 miles west of here doing idiot cubes using an IH early 70's utility.

Rick

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

Most of you guys never had to work a field or plant a crop with that old crap. I have and I wasn't raised a farm kid like some of you were. I was a city boy!

Heck I haven't seen a 7' rake in ages. Last time I did was a guy about 15 miles west of here doing idiot cubes using an IH early 70's utility.

Rick

Really?  I probably have more miles in reverse on pre-560 tractors than you have going forward on them................Useless..................OK:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, oldtanker said:

Not really. Here almost everyone including the "small guy" is running 1000 acers or more. Smallest dairy in the area I know of is 400 cows. Those guys are not going to find an M a usable tractor. Heck small goat milker here has 200 milkers. He's feeding rounds. Last small dairy was my nephew. 40 cows. Just wasn't cost effective. He's now running 1000 acres and 200 head of beef. His small tractor is an 826. M won't run his grain auger. Area to area things change. Wests of us by 50 miles a 250 HP MFW tractor is a chore tractor. Even me, 200 acres, a few head of beef before I self retired from it the M ran a brush cutter. That's all it was good for. I was cutting with a Hesston 14 foot swing arm and baling with a Vemeer. About the only thing the M could be used for was the poo spreader and brush cutter. It's a tractor that has outlived it's usefulness under most applications. Only people buying here are folks with 5-10 acre farms and collectors. Heck even the 5 acre people are buying Kubota's and JD's over an old M, H or 8N today. Times change. People change. I grew up in NJ in the burbs of Newark and NYC. My dad, farm kid from WI got Farm Journal, Mechanic's Illustrated and Popular Illustrated back then, 1960-1970. Modern was preached at me. So the round design of the H and M are old. The utility tractor wasn't really acknowledged back then so the Fords were not covered very much. Actually saw more coverage of the IH crawlers like the T4/5 TD4/5 than the Ford 100 series and early 1000 series. Now being a retired Army Armor Crewman (tanker) I love track systems. My dream tractor is the TD 340 with loader, 3 point and PTO. In useable condition with spares. Not going to happen. First tractor I ever operated was an old Tiger garden tractor.

http://www.tigergardentractor.com/images/883-feature1.jpg

That was followed by a WFE Super C and a MM U. The next was both a 560 and 826.

I know where the first 560 is and the owner won't part with it. He also has the 826. Modern designs! Good PS! Good Live PTO and hydraulics! Why would I want something that lacked both? Why on earth would I like a tractor that never had LIVE Hydraulics or Power Steering? Or Live PTO? Most of you guys never had to work a field or plant a crop with that old crap. I have and I wasn't raised a farm kid like some of you were. I was a city boy!

Rick

There is WAY more that went into this than my comment was intended for…… so I’ll shut up now?

I kind of get what OT is saying, was thinking of going back in and doing old timers motocross on vintage bikes then common sense reared up strange sensation as that rarely happens...anyway the news does a spotlight on an 80 year old that used to own local bike shops decades ago and he is still racing and beating people half his age all on new iron, his view was it was ok in its day and that day is a long way in rear view, he has no interest in going backwards or stuck in the past with inferior technology, plus easier on the body extending his enjoyment of the sport 

Alternately you could probably find some old YZ490 for $1500 vs north of 10K for some 450 4 stroke today, I have to say I don’t miss no power steering and no live pto 

Last tractor I bought was MF 1135 for 2K was it mint, no but everything was working except parking shifter and I think it’s light years ahead of what an M could ever do and those tractors are a dead market and left that size in the dust

I get the nostalgia and respect what they were, fairly well made, low rpm torquey engines that has enabled their longevity decades past whatever crap new is made today that will die with electronics, hydraulic contamination or power trains plumb wore out

For an obsolete tractor M's bring healthy money here.  I was going to bid on a M recently that had a lot wrong with it for parts.  No big money to be had for the scrap people or parts people but some fool bid 450 dollars on it before it was all said and done.  It just happened to have what I needed such as a manifold but the rear rims and tires were junk, hole in the oil pan, set up tight, and no coolant showing in the radiator.  My M is original to this farm and even if it can't pull a loaded grain wagon I do not want to sell it.  

• Like 1

Our 464 diesel has power steering, power brakes, and live pto, rear remotes. 4x2 gears yet it is considered a novelty because it is not 200 HP with cab and AC. IMO most farms today are way over tractored, money is too easy to get, and the gov will bail them out anyway.

The same farming areas I grew up in are fairly close to what they always were BUT cabs and > 200HP are the norm.  So the illegal alien operating it has a better ride in the field than in his Nissan.

Confucius say, "grow something worth more not more acres of something worth less". Best paying farm I was ever around was a grape  / private label wine and prune grower.  He tended his 100 acres with one TD5 tractor and  and hauled the stuff with a single 1600 Loadstar.  He married the farm, because it came with his new wife  right after WW2.

• Like 1

Wow, I guess I shouldn't do chores or skid logs, or use my M for anything else that my 8n (which I traded even for my M) was useless for. Antique hydraulics, yep, but they work. No power steering? No problem,  I can deadlift north of 400 lbs so Im ok there.  Nevertheless,  I think it was pretty good of you to give your neighbor that old M. It was a nice thing to do. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, oleman said:

Our 464 diesel has power steering, power brakes, and live pto, rear remotes. 4x2 gears yet it is considered a novelty because it is not 200 HP with cab and AC. IMO most farms today are way over tractored, money is too easy to get, and the gov will bail them out anyway.

The same farming areas I grew up in are fairly close to what they always were BUT cabs and > 200HP are the norm.  So the illegal alien operating it has a better ride in the field than in his Nissan.

Confucius say, "grow something worth more not more acres of something worth less". Best paying farm I was ever around was a grape  / private label wine and prune grower.  He tended his 100 acres with one TD5 tractor and  and hauled the stuff with a single 1600 Loadstar.  He married the farm, because it came with his new wife  right after WW2.

Thing is in years gone by the farmer and his family didn't own/buy every new gadget that came down the pike. Today they are like everyone else. They want a nice house and truck, flatscreen TV and an Iphone. Computer too. SO they go bigger. Plus they don't want to work 14-18 hours a day either.

Rick  

• Like 2

I get what OT is saying. But I had a productive day yesterday with my M with live hydraulics and power steering clearing brush around the farm. We have had a magnum and a 1270 case when we farmed and still have a 766 but I still go for one of the M's for small jobs around. I find them handy and they do what I need them to do.  Guess it just depends on where you are and how your operation is set up. We used an H on a 50ft auger for many years. 

On 7/11/2021 at 10:10 AM, TP from Central PA said:

Really?  I probably have more miles in reverse on pre-560 tractors than you have going forward on them................Useless..................OK:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

On 7/11/2021 at 1:01 PM, 766 Man said:

For an obsolete tractor M's bring healthy money here.  I was going to bid on a M recently that had a lot wrong with it for parts.  No big money to be had for the scrap people or parts people but some fool bid 450 dollars on it before it was all said and done.  It just happened to have what I needed such as a manifold but the rear rims and tires were junk, hole in the oil pan, set up tight, and no coolant showing in the radiator.  My M is original to this farm and even if it can't pull a loaded grain wagon I do not want to sell it.  

21 hours ago, Frank H said:

Wow, I guess I shouldn't do chores or skid logs, or use my M for anything else that my 8n (which I traded even for my M) was useless for. Antique hydraulics, yep, but they work. No power steering? No problem,  I can deadlift north of 400 lbs so Im ok there.  Nevertheless,  I think it was pretty good of you to give your neighbor that old M. It was a nice thing to do. 

OK tasks the M isn't capable of. Safely pulling fully loaded silage wagons. Running a modern large capacity manure spreader. Pulling a modern 20-30 foot grain drill. Running a modern corn planter. Running a modern large capacity grain auger. And even the hobby farm folks are tending to buy more modern equipment. At the time I bought that M I got it for about 3/4 of what I should have paid. But in a few short years here the prices have crashed. 2 reason. 1: the collectors who have any type of real world connection to that type of tractor are either in assisted living or dead. 2: No real use for em on most farms in the area. All the old tractors are like that here now. Letter series Farmalls, ACs, Cases and even the Ford Ns have crashed in price. When I bought my 8Ns I paid fair market which was between 2000 and 2500. When I bought the M most of the M's I saw at auctions at the time were running between 1000-1800. Now 8Ns are running between 1000 and 1500. Nice M might bring 1000. 

Heck the only reason I say I hated that M was it twisted a knot in your collective tails!??? With a permanent upper back injury the lack of power steering was an issue. Heck I upgraded that M with EI, 12 volt and an alternator. I did replace the exhaust manifold and rebuilt the carb. I did look at upgrading it to PS and live hydraulics and a 3 point. For that money I got a 706 gasser with WFE. So it wasn't cost effective to upgrade the M. Last couple of years I used it I only spread manure with it every fall. About a day a year. Used the 1206 with loader or the JCB backhoe to load it. Once I quit farming I just parked it. Rear tires were about shot and it wasn't worth putting new rubber on it. Really couldn't see sending it to a scrapper. The old JCB is dead now. Needs an engine rebuild. Haven't needed it in 4-5 years. Finally needed to trench in power to my shop and it cost me 189 dollars to rent a trackhoe. So unless I can find a Leyland 4/98 diesel engine really cheap it's going to the scrapper. Going to start restoring my 1947 7U D4 dozer here soon. Gotta rebuild the injector pump on the 1206 too.

Darned M ran nice and starts good. I'm going to help the guy I gave it to with the brakes. May help him split it too. He really wants to do a clutch job. This gives him an excuse. I know he'll help me out when he can around his work schedule cause I gave him the M. 

Anyway, be well my friends! An era is over. The 8Ns and the M are gone. The 8Ns were replaced by an 860 Ford. Tried to get an IH utility 454 but had to go cheaper... cause I'm a tightwad. Stopped bidding on the IH at 4500, should have gone to 5500. Sold at 4800. Got the 860 for 1200. The 454 had a loader too. OH well! Man I got a lot of entertainment ragging on letter series Farmalls! Still don't really care for them. Well OK the SC. I have a connection. But I'd really love to have a late 40's mid 50's TD6, TD4 or 5 and a TD340 with loader, 3 point and PTO. With spare parts so I could actually used them. Heck the TD340 with PTO and 3 point and spares would make me dump the Ford 860.

Rick

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oldtanker said:

OK tasks the M isn't capable of. Safely pulling fully loaded silage wagons. Running a modern large capacity manure spreader. Pulling a modern 20-30 foot grain drill. Running a modern corn planter. Running a modern large capacity grain auger. And even the hobby farm folks are tending to buy more modern equipment. At the time I bought that M I got it for about 3/4 of what I should have paid. But in a few short years here the prices have crashed. 2 reason. 1: the collectors who have any type of real world connection to that type of tractor are either in assisted living or dead. 2: No real use for em on most farms in the area. All the old tractors are like that here now. Letter series Farmalls, ACs, Cases and even the Ford Ns have crashed in price. When I bought my 8Ns I paid fair market which was between 2000 and 2500. When I bought the M most of the M's I saw at auctions at the time were running between 1000-1800. Now 8Ns are running between 1000 and 1500. Nice M might bring 1000. 

Heck the only reason I say I hated that M was it twisted a knot in your collective tails!??? With a permanent upper back injury the lack of power steering was an issue. Heck I upgraded that M with EI, 12 volt and an alternator. I did replace the exhaust manifold and rebuilt the carb. I did look at upgrading it to PS and live hydraulics and a 3 point. For that money I got a 706 gasser with WFE. So it wasn't cost effective to upgrade the M. Last couple of years I used it I only spread manure with it every fall. About a day a year. Used the 1206 with loader or the JCB backhoe to load it. Once I quit farming I just parked it. Rear tires were about shot and it wasn't worth putting new rubber on it. Really couldn't see sending it to a scrapper. The old JCB is dead now. Needs an engine rebuild. Haven't needed it in 4-5 years. Finally needed to trench in power to my shop and it cost me 189 dollars to rent a trackhoe. So unless I can find a Leyland 4/98 diesel engine really cheap it's going to the scrapper. Going to start restoring my 1947 7U D4 dozer here soon. Gotta rebuild the injector pump on the 1206 too.

Darned M ran nice and starts good. I'm going to help the guy I gave it to with the brakes. May help him split it too. He really wants to do a clutch job. This gives him an excuse. I know he'll help me out when he can around his work schedule cause I gave him the M. 

Anyway, be well my friends! An era is over. The 8Ns and the M are gone. The 8Ns were replaced by an 860 Ford. Tried to get an IH utility 454 but had to go cheaper... cause I'm a tightwad. Stopped bidding on the IH at 4500, should have gone to 5500. Sold at 4800. Got the 860 for 1200. The 454 had a loader too. OH well! Man I got a lot of entertainment ragging on letter series Farmalls! Still don't really care for them. Well OK the SC. I have a connection. But I'd really love to have a late 40's mid 50's TD6, TD4 or 5 and a TD340 with loader, 3 point and PTO. With spare parts so I could actually used them. Heck the TD340 with PTO and 3 point and spares would me me dump the Ford 860.

Rick

Let me get this straight.  You have a bad back but want to buy old tech crawlers in terms of seating and back support?  The 860 has power steering?  Define modern equipment.  My M ran a 200 bushel box type spreader, pulled a 21 X 7 grain drill, 4 X 30 corn planter, pulled 8 ton forage wagons on the level, and square baled pulling a JD 347 baler w/ ejector.  Most hobby farmers around here run older cutter bar type haybines and small square balers that a 35 HP tractor could power.  Your business as to what you did with your M but don't be surprised that guys here are giving you a hard time over it.  This is an IH board and a lot of these guys never got over the merger with Case if the truth be told.

6 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

Let me get this straight.  You have a bad back but want to buy old tech crawlers in terms of seating and back support?  The 860 has power steering?  Define modern equipment.  My M ran a 200 bushel box type spreader, pulled a 21 X 7 grain drill, 4 X 30 corn planter, pulled 8 ton forage wagons on the level, and square baled pulling a JD 347 baler w/ ejector.  Most hobby farmers around here run older cutter bar type haybines and small square balers that a 35 HP tractor could power.  Your business as to what you did with your M but don't be surprised that guys here are giving you a hard time over it.  This is an IH board and a lot of these guys never got over the merger with Case if the truth be told.

Oh, he just likes to puff and blow................M were spreader tractors here on a lot of dairys with the drawbar beefed up for the big tandem axle box spreaders, guys still load alot of grain with them yet, run tedders and rakes, etc..............While not up to as many jobs as say an 856, the joke of all this is his puffing and blowing about how Elf Fords saved the earth, WTH can you do with one of them???????  LOL!!!!!!!  

6 hours ago, 766 Man said:

I'm retired now. I can get off a dozer and go back another day. I haven't seen a small square baler in over 2 years actually being used. 400 head and larger dairies are all doing rounds or big squares with a bale grinder. Ain't many hobby farms here. The horse people are buying hay. And here it's hard to find level ground. Lot of self propelled discbines out there too.  

"lot of these guys never got over the merger with Case if the truth be told" How true! I'm waiting for FIAT to drop the IH. Start calling it CaseNH.

6 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Oh, he just likes to puff and blow................M were spreader tractors here on a lot of dairys with the drawbar beefed up for the big tandem axle box spreaders, guys still load alot of grain with them yet, run tedders and rakes, etc..............While not up to as many jobs as say an 856, the joke of all this is his puffing and blowing about how Elf Fords saved the earth, WTH can you do with one of them???????  LOL!!!!!!!  

TP? Where is all this grain loading going on at? Everyone here is running 10" and bigger augers that make a 706 diesel grunt. Running 8 and 10 wheel rakes too. Now as far as what I can do with the Fords? Tons of small chore type things that the M is too big for. Plowing and planting wildlife plots, brush cutting in under trees without fighting with branches. Don't think many people are going to plow 100 acres with it but then you ain't plowing 100 acres with that M either?! Plus there are tons of Cat1 3 point implements available new and used! 

Rick

23 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Farmall M working - Yesterday's Tractors

unloading | Rails West

How many more pictures do you want?  Alot of M's are on augers around me, none of the above are local but you get the idea unless they are photohopped???????:rolleyes: 

He-- here's a H on a 10 inch 31 ft truck load out auger. And I send it as fast as the bin load out will put it to it. When we bought it I was using a electric chain elevator. This speed up loading the truck up significantly.

20201021_161603.jpg

20191104_150415.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/11/2021 at 10:56 AM, oldtanker said:

I wasn't raised a farm kid like some of you were. I was a city boy!

Rick

.............. no kidding?