Jump to content

Murphy's Law of Ranching


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

 

IMG_20210709_113322532.thumb.jpg.12f68e1622b4f6f0727790680009acbd.jpg

I think I know where that gate is. Would I have gone through it helping Tom take cows to the reserve?

 I assume that is Red Angus?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

I think I know where that gate is. Would I have gone through it helping Tom take cows to the reserve?

 I assume that is Red Angus?

Nope, that gate is going west into my school section which is just west of Happy Jack which is just west of the Ewart which is where you and Tom would have gone through to get to his pastures in the reserve. 

And speaking of his reserve pasture, I saw this sitting out in the middle of nowhere the other day. Miles from anywhere.

1319782795_bobcattoolcat.thumb.jpg.e1cc5ef922ccf12d5740be246bb6c033.jpg

 

And yes Red Angus bull

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Nope, that gate is going west into my school section which is just west of Happy Jack which is just west of the Ewart which is where you and Tom would have gone through to get to his pastures in the reserve. 

And speaking of his reserve pasture, I saw this sitting out in the middle of nowhere the other day. Miles from anywhere.

1319782795_bobcattoolcat.thumb.jpg.e1cc5ef922ccf12d5740be246bb6c033.jpg

 

And yes Red Angus bull

 

Who’s is that? I know one of the Anderson’s from Thedford was doing some work out on the reserve but he had either an ASV or a Terrex. The guys from Woodlake had Kabota. Never seen any of those things in the Sandhills. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lazy WP said:

Who’s is that? I know one of the Anderson’s from Thedford was doing some work out on the reserve but he had either an ASV or a Terrex. The guys from Woodlake had Kabota. Never seen any of those things in the Sandhills. 

No clue, saw something sitting on a far off hill when I was putting out salt and had to drive over to see what it was. 

No markings, just the yellow light. 

Looked pretty out of place where it was. 

Bobcat Toocat??? Looked like a beast. 

Assume they use that for cutting cedar trees, even though it was miles from any.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, sandhiller said:

No apology is necessary sir, all is good. 

I am sure you didn't know that out here it is considered bad manners to ask a man how big his outfit is or how many cows he runs. 

More than likely he will tell you in a casual conversation, it just isn't considerate to ask. 

I have probably even mentioned a number in a past thread or two. 

I was not trying to be rude by not answering. 

It is one of the "codes of the west" that came from an era of what I feel to be better times in this country. 

Anyway, you'll never know if you don't ask, right??

I never knew this till few years back either. Lucky I don’t remember ever sticking my foot in my mouth before I found out. 
  Around here we got used to county extension agents asking us how many head as a way to cater any advise to our size operation. Of course this was mute because we are all the same basic size. And the extension agents specialize in dairy not beef. Of course I got a kick out of the hippies that proudly answer total head to sound big when everyone else is talking pairs. And when I say hippies I mean hippies!  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

No clue, saw something sitting on a far off hill when I was putting out salt and had to drive over to see what it was. 

No markings, just the yellow light. 

Looked pretty out of place where it was. 

Bobcat Toocat??? Looked like a beast. 

Assume they use that for cutting cedar trees, even though it was miles from any.

I just hope it doesn’t belong to that utility company from Vermont 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

cocky gate.  Two uprights with wire in between and probably a dropper in the middle.  A sort of cheap "temporary" gate that may last a couple of generations - with various fixes and rebuilds.  Causes all sorts of patent fastenings too but been known to open itself just when needed closed.  Caused me to write a spreadsheet that calculates the dimensions for DIY pipe gates, tells you where to cut and bend even to the angle of the bends for the "N-stay" if used.  Almost no scrap pipe left around here and the last cocky gate has gone.

Simply called a wire gate around here. Thousands of 'em. 

I don't have much for pictures

This kinda shows the H-brace one on each side. Please don't critique, fencing is not my strong point. 

2048108402_gatehbrace.thumb.jpg.2dc5060cc944df38c5378db141c04cba.jpg

This is the gate lever used to keep em shut. 

1462227634_gatelever.thumb.jpg.47a71b9a482b2948bba7fd6a0781e763.jpg

If a road is travelled a lot we may put in a auto gate

7-20-20.thumb.jpg.a57148737c113c079f24d1d5113d6cd2.jpg

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, 1256pickett said:

I never knew this till few years back either. Lucky I don’t remember ever sticking my foot in my mouth before I found out. 

Sure not trying to turn this into a felony offense either?

 

 

We'll keep it at a misdemeanor.........................?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

This kinda shows the H-brace one on each side. Please don't critique, fencing is not my strong point. 

Your "H-brace" is our "box stay"

Different views on fencing - in my father's day a good fence was gun barrel straight to the horizon.  These days here it is standing up and keeps the stock in.

Some of my education on same - one day I was going out with yet another bundle of steel posts to eke some more life out of an about 1910 6-wire fence.  And idly started to count those already there - which were enough for about the rebuild of half of it.  

I like fencing when I end up with new fence

"And he sees the vision splendid of a sunlit fence extended - - "  (with apologies to A.B. Patterson)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Ian Beale said:

Your "H-brace" is our "box stay"

Different views on fencing - in my father's day a good fence was gun barrel straight to the horizon.  These days here it is standing up and keeps the stock in.

Some of my education on same - one day I was going out with yet another bundle of steel posts to eke some more life out of an about 1910 6-wire fence.  And idly started to count those already there - which were enough for about the rebuild of half of it.  

I like fencing when I end up with new fence

"And he sees the vision splendid of a sunlit fence extended - - "  (with apologies to A.B. Patterson)

My youngest takes a lot of pride in his fencing and is very good at it. 

Fencing is a necessary evil for me and I do a good enough job to keep the cows separated.

Don't care how good a fence you build, bulls fighting across it can tear it up in no time. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

Simply called a wire gate around here. Thousands of 'em. 

I don't have much for pictures

This kinda shows the H-brace one on each side. Please don't critique, fencing is not my strong point. 

2048108402_gatehbrace.thumb.jpg.2dc5060cc944df38c5378db141c04cba.jpg

This is the gate lever used to keep em shut. 

1462227634_gatelever.thumb.jpg.47a71b9a482b2948bba7fd6a0781e763.jpg

If a road is travelled a lot we may put in a auto gate

7-20-20.thumb.jpg.a57148737c113c079f24d1d5113d6cd2.jpg

 

Is that your place? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

My youngest takes a lot of pride in his fencing and is very good at it. 

Fencing is a necessary evil for me and I do a good enough job to keep the cows separated.

Don't care how good a fence you build, bulls fighting across it can tear it up in no time. 

..I see your cattle stop ......very common   in these parts.....;),.....there is at least half a dozen on the Rainbow Station entry point.....
..neat picture,by the way.....

Mike

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

Simply called a wire gate around here. Thousands of 'em. 

I don't have much for pictures

This kinda shows the H-brace one on each side. Please don't critique, fencing is not my strong point. 

2048108402_gatehbrace.thumb.jpg.2dc5060cc944df38c5378db141c04cba.jpg

This is the gate lever used to keep em shut. 

1462227634_gatelever.thumb.jpg.47a71b9a482b2948bba7fd6a0781e763.jpg

If a road is travelled a lot we may put in a auto gate

7-20-20.thumb.jpg.a57148737c113c079f24d1d5113d6cd2.jpg

 

That last picture is worthy of the awesome picture thread I you ask me

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Ian Beale said:

Sandhiller and Mike

Your "auto gate"/"cattle stop" is a "grid" here

Gheez  Ian.....just slow it down....!!!!...to much info for the ol'   cattle puncher  to absorb.....:rolleyes:

...he is no doubt fiddling with his abacus, calculating the loss of that bull, from the dreaded pizzlerot....the inevitable result  of the belled dick.....:mellow:

...just another saga of   ""Me and Gus''...down on the farm....:D

Mike

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

Sandhiller and Mike

Your "auto gate"/"cattle stop" is a "grid" here

I have heard them called numerous things. The old guy my wife worked for, up north, called them run overs. I always knew them as auto gates. Wife calls them cattle guards. Her horse calls them easy access to greener grass. ?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Is that your place? 

Neighbor a couple miles to the SW

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Nope, that gate is going west into my school section which is just west of Happy Jack which is just west of the Ewart which is where you and Tom would have gone through to get to his pastures in the reserve. 

And speaking of his reserve pasture, I saw this sitting out in the middle of nowhere the other day. Miles from anywhere.

1319782795_bobcattoolcat.thumb.jpg.e1cc5ef922ccf12d5740be246bb6c033.jpg

 

And yes Red Angus bull

 

We had a toolcat for 10 years. I can easily guess why it is there. It weighs 8000 lbs and there is no hydro release lever to tow it when it breaks down.  I would take our big backhoe and flat drag ours onto a trailer often. Usually in a busy intersection where they were trying to cross the road. Or, first thing in the morning when it was parked blocking a bunch of other utility vehicles, Or, from a snow covered sidewalk behind a berm of snow. I did my best happy dance when we finally got rid of it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

We had a toolcat for 10 years. I can easily guess why it is there. It weighs 8000 lbs and there is no hydro release lever to tow it when it breaks down.  I would take our big backhoe and flat drag ours onto a trailer often. Usually in a busy intersection where they were trying to cross the road. Or, first thing in the morning when it was parked blocking a bunch of other utility vehicles, Or, from a snow covered sidewalk behind a berm of snow. I did my best happy dance when we finally got rid of it

Have never been around one so had no idea they were that unhandy.

Maybe that is where it quit.

Where it is at might best serve as a deer blind?

Hmmmmmm maybe I should low-ball an offer?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ZG6E said:

Cattle guards here.

That's up here also, all over on fsr's and then into private lands up north.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...