Vintage 15 gallon hytran barrel

Got this out of a old barn yesterday. 

16258412848315838827314709200480.jpg

• Like 10

It's been a while since I've seen one of those.

Dad bought 30 gallon drums. He could handle them better than a 55.

Didn't those have a deposit on them?

Thx-Ace 

1 hour ago, Sledgehammer said:

That’s cool. Would make a good shop trash can. 

My son said the same thing. It still has the seal on the vent. I don't have the heart to cut the top off.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

That’s cool. Would make a good shop trash can. 

Best trash can is the salt tank from a large water softner,  about 15-20 gallon, maybe a bit more, durable undentable non-corrosive plastic, and water-tight, light enough to lift easily.

• Like 1

Got a couple hytran and oil small oil drums here. Traded them out for plastic cause they all seeped at the bottom seal. 

John

Eventually steel drums will seep at the bottom seam. I have 2, 5 gallon steel pails of DX graphite grease, and both are now starting to seep at the bottom. Not sure how old they are, but the handles have the wood dowel where you grab it.

8 hours ago, cedar farm said:

My son said the same thing. It still has the seal on the vent. I don't have the heart to cut the top off.

That would look great as a trash can, but much respect for you not to cut the top off. My trash cans are cattle mineral tubs. If your close enough I think they offer a deposit but shipping them back is too far from western ny. They are half of a 55 drum hold 250# of minerals from crystalyx. Maybe I’ll get ambitious someday and paint em like an oil drum?  For now I’ve got so many around I trip over them. Fill them with gravel or concrete and they make great 3pt weights! Also great scrap metal containers throw the whole thing off at the scrap yard. That hytran drum is sweet!

On 7/9/2021 at 12:52 PM, cedar farm said:

What about cleaning it out, and getting a nice round wooden top made to fit perfectly right over the top inside the lip, then ya got a lamp table.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MoeSzyslak said:

What about cleaning it out, and getting a nice round wooden top made to fit perfectly right over the top inside the lip, then ya got a lamp table.

That is a great idea! Thanks