Sleeve blueprint

I'm getting custom made sleeves for my WD9 , 4.4", because new ones are unobtainable. Thought I had good used ones, but the expert said it wasn't gonna work..

Anyway, I've read somewhere that there still are blueprints for these sleeves around. I know I could just use the old sleeves for measurements, but a blueprint would be perfect. If anyone has it, can you share it with me?

I know, I know, its a long shot...

2 hours ago, Farmall 1466 said:

I'm getting custom made sleeves for my WD9 , 4.4", because new ones are unobtainable. Thought I had good used ones, but the expert said it wasn't gonna work..

Anyway, I've read somewhere that there still are blueprints for these sleeves around. I know I could just use the old sleeves for measurements, but a blueprint would be perfect. If anyone has it, can you share it with me?

That place in Wisconsin that saved all the IHC paperwork, can’t think of the name right now.

2 hours ago, Farmall 1466 said:

Wish I knew this dad got rid of a set away last year sleeved pistons rings all new

• Sad 2

1 ????. why wouldnt say LA sleeve already have that in house,despite govt and other contracts not allowing them to provide XYZ sleeves in USA

2 these are larger than those currently offered in RPM ?

3 govt and fiat have no interest in providing these parts,worth a try but you need a big in to get the right ask,then 2 more to actually supply info.

4 technically those parts went/sold to dresser and Ukrainian/russia as did a bunch IH Had to BUY back

Carr machine advertised sleeves and pistons for the 335 and 350 engines in Red Power magazines .

Power Bore, has manufactured special sleeves for me in the past with great success. I measured my bores and made my own "blue print" emailed it to them and couple weeks later they arrived. Pleasant experience all around anytime I ever used them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, farmall666 said:

WHAT KIND OF MONEY...

A 1000 dollar. The machine shop I contacted will do it for 1000 too and they will ground the crank and machine the top of the block flat too for that 1000 dollar.

Remember I'm in Europe. Shipping is a problem with large packages

53 minutes ago, CIHTECH said:

Power Bore, has manufactured special sleeves for me in the past with great success. I measured my bores and made my own "blue print" emailed it to them and couple weeks later they arrived. Pleasant experience all around anytime I ever used them. 

How did you make this blueprint?

16 minutes ago, Farmall 1466 said:

How did you make this blueprint?

They have a template on their website or send you one by request IIRC, you then just fill out measurements you want. 

21 hours ago, Farmall 1466 said:

The Ford 9700 is 4.4inch bore. Six repair sleeves installed was $1100. You should modify the  block to take a common sleeve, not the other way around. You’ll have to have a custom sleeve made every time a malfunction occurs. Not saying one will, but if one does,  you’ll have but to pull the sleeve and replace it with an off the shelf component ; not paying for expensive custom work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CIHTECH said:

They have a template on their website or send you one by request IIRC, you then just fill out measurements you want. 

Interesting. I might try that and save it for others or future things to come up. Buddy of mine has access to very accurate measuring tools, so it should be possible to get valid measurements. The thing I'm worried about is the ID because of wear. How can I tackle this?

52 minutes ago, Binderoid said:

The Ford 9700 is 4.4inch bore. Six repair sleeves installed was $1100. You should modify the  block to take a common sleeve, not the other way around. You’ll have to have a custom sleeve made every time a malfunction occurs. Not saying one will, but if one does,  you’ll have but to pull the sleeve and replace it with an off the shelf component ; not paying for expensive custom work.

That would be the logical solution, but I try to keep everything as original as possible. Not having the IH stamp in my new sleeves already freaks me out (just joking)

51 minutes ago, Farmall 1466 said:

That would be the logical solution, but I try to keep everything as original as possible. Not having the IH stamp in my new sleeves already freaks me out (just joking)

So you’re getting 4 custom sleeves, remove studs, deck the block , turn the crank for $1000? Dang that’s cheap.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Binderoid said:

So you’re getting 4 custom sleeves, remove studs, deck the block , turn the crank for $1000? Dang that’s cheap.

I removed the studs myself, wasnt too hard of a job. The rest yes, its done by a professional machinist, but outside his official working hours so that is what makes affordable

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Binderoid said:

Repair sleeves don't work because of counter bore in block for sleeve flange.

1 hour ago, snoshoe said:

Repair sleeves don't work because of counter bore in block for sleeve flange.

So what do you do when you have to double sleeve a damaged cylinder ?

You install repair sleeve flush to bottom of counterbore and install flanged sleeve in it. Installing repair sleeve in place of regular sleeve leaves gap at top without support for head gasket.

3 hours ago, snoshoe said:

You install repair sleeve flush to bottom of counterbore and install flanged sleeve in it. Installing repair sleeve in place of regular sleeve leaves gap at top without support for head gasket.

3 hours ago, Binderoid said:

So what do you do when you have to double sleeve a damaged cylinder ?

I believe that the shop had a custom sleeve made with a larger outside diameter to fix where someone gouged the bore in my 450 

Well be that as it may, the point of my comment was to use a repair sleeve for a sleeveless block which has no counter bore. So if any counter bore remains in that 9 block after boring to fit the sleeve, it would probably have to be enlarged anyway to accommodate the greater flange diameter of the repair sleeve. The whole argument is pointless anyway because he’s already got it handled, at a sensational price , I might add.

40 minutes ago, bitty said:

I believe that the shop had a custom sleeve made with a larger outside diameter to fix where someone gouged the bore in my 450 

Much better repair than double sleeve. I was just trying to answer the mans question.

I could point out that the op has the oportunity to have his made two to five over od and same under id. Allowing to hone block for perfect fit and hone sleeves to fit his pistons.

14 hours ago, Binderoid said:

THATS WHAT I WAS THINKING...