Jump to content

Sleeve blueprint


Recommended Posts

I'm getting custom made sleeves for my WD9 , 4.4", because new ones are unobtainable. Thought I had good used ones, but the expert said it wasn't gonna work..

Anyway, I've read somewhere that there still are blueprints for these sleeves around. I know I could just use the old sleeves for measurements, but a blueprint would be perfect. If anyone has it, can you share it with me?

I know, I know, its a long shot...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Farmall 1466 said:

I'm getting custom made sleeves for my WD9 , 4.4", because new ones are unobtainable. Thought I had good used ones, but the expert said it wasn't gonna work..

Anyway, I've read somewhere that there still are blueprints for these sleeves around. I know I could just use the old sleeves for measurements, but a blueprint would be perfect. If anyone has it, can you share it with me?

I know, I know, its a long shot...

That place in Wisconsin that saved all the IHC paperwork, can’t think of the name right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Farmall 1466 said:

I'm getting custom made sleeves for my WD9 , 4.4", because new ones are unobtainable. Thought I had good used ones, but the expert said it wasn't gonna work..

Anyway, I've read somewhere that there still are blueprints for these sleeves around. I know I could just use the old sleeves for measurements, but a blueprint would be perfect. If anyone has it, can you share it with me?

I know, I know, its a long shot...

Wish I knew this dad got rid of a set away last year sleeved pistons rings all new

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 ????. why wouldnt say LA sleeve already have that in house,despite govt and other contracts not allowing them to provide XYZ sleeves in USA

2 these are larger than those currently offered in RPM ?

3 govt and fiat have no interest in providing these parts,worth a try but you need a big in to get the right ask,then 2 more to actually supply info.

4 technically those parts went/sold to dresser and Ukrainian/russia as did a bunch IH Had to BUY back

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Carr machine advertised sleeves and pistons for the 335 and 350 engines in Red Power magazines .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Power Bore, has manufactured special sleeves for me in the past with great success. I measured my bores and made my own "blue print" emailed it to them and couple weeks later they arrived. Pleasant experience all around anytime I ever used them. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, farmall666 said:

WHAT KIND OF MONEY...

A 1000 dollar. The machine shop I contacted will do it for 1000 too and they will ground the crank and machine the top of the block flat too for that 1000 dollar.

Remember I'm in Europe. Shipping is a problem with large packages

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, CIHTECH said:

Power Bore, has manufactured special sleeves for me in the past with great success. I measured my bores and made my own "blue print" emailed it to them and couple weeks later they arrived. Pleasant experience all around anytime I ever used them. 

How did you make this blueprint?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Farmall 1466 said:

How did you make this blueprint?

They have a template on their website or send you one by request IIRC, you then just fill out measurements you want. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Farmall 1466 said:

I'm getting custom made sleeves for my WD9 , 4.4", because new ones are unobtainable. Thought I had good used ones, but the expert said it wasn't gonna work..

Anyway, I've read somewhere that there still are blueprints for these sleeves around. I know I could just use the old sleeves for measurements, but a blueprint would be perfect. If anyone has it, can you share it with me?

I know, I know, its a long shot...

The Ford 9700 is 4.4inch bore. Six repair sleeves installed was $1100. You should modify the  block to take a common sleeve, not the other way around. You’ll have to have a custom sleeve made every time a malfunction occurs. Not saying one will, but if one does,  you’ll have but to pull the sleeve and replace it with an off the shelf component ; not paying for expensive custom work.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CIHTECH said:

They have a template on their website or send you one by request IIRC, you then just fill out measurements you want. 

Interesting. I might try that and save it for others or future things to come up. Buddy of mine has access to very accurate measuring tools, so it should be possible to get valid measurements. The thing I'm worried about is the ID because of wear. How can I tackle this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Binderoid said:

The Ford 9700 is 4.4inch bore. Six repair sleeves installed was $1100. You should modify the  block to take a common sleeve, not the other way around. You’ll have to have a custom sleeve made every time a malfunction occurs. Not saying one will, but if one does,  you’ll have but to pull the sleeve and replace it with an off the shelf component ; not paying for expensive custom work.

That would be the logical solution, but I try to keep everything as original as possible. Not having the IH stamp in my new sleeves already freaks me out (just joking)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Farmall 1466 said:

That would be the logical solution, but I try to keep everything as original as possible. Not having the IH stamp in my new sleeves already freaks me out (just joking)

So you’re getting 4 custom sleeves, remove studs, deck the block , turn the crank for $1000? Dang that’s cheap.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Binderoid said:

So you’re getting 4 custom sleeves, remove studs, deck the block , turn the crank for $1000? Dang that’s cheap.

I removed the studs myself, wasnt too hard of a job. The rest yes, its done by a professional machinist, but outside his official working hours so that is what makes affordable

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Binderoid said:

The Ford 9700 is 4.4inch bore. Six repair sleeves installed was $1100. You should modify the  block to take a common sleeve, not the other way around. You’ll have to have a custom sleeve made every time a malfunction occurs. Not saying one will, but if one does,  you’ll have but to pull the sleeve and replace it with an off the shelf component ; not paying for expensive custom work.

Repair sleeves don't work because of counter bore in block for sleeve flange.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, snoshoe said:

Repair sleeves don't work because of counter bore in block for sleeve flange.

So what do you do when you have to double sleeve a damaged cylinder ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You install repair sleeve flush to bottom of counterbore and install flanged sleeve in it. Installing repair sleeve in place of regular sleeve leaves gap at top without support for head gasket.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, snoshoe said:

You install repair sleeve flush to bottom of counterbore and install flanged sleeve in it. Installing repair sleeve in place of regular sleeve leaves gap at top without support for head gasket.

 

3 hours ago, Binderoid said:

So what do you do when you have to double sleeve a damaged cylinder ?

I believe that the shop had a custom sleeve made with a larger outside diameter to fix where someone gouged the bore in my 450 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well be that as it may, the point of my comment was to use a repair sleeve for a sleeveless block which has no counter bore. So if any counter bore remains in that 9 block after boring to fit the sleeve, it would probably have to be enlarged anyway to accommodate the greater flange diameter of the repair sleeve. The whole argument is pointless anyway because he’s already got it handled, at a sensational price , I might add.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, bitty said:

 

I believe that the shop had a custom sleeve made with a larger outside diameter to fix where someone gouged the bore in my 450 

Much better repair than double sleeve. I was just trying to answer the mans question.

I could point out that the op has the oportunity to have his made two to five over od and same under id. Allowing to hone block for perfect fit and hone sleeves to fit his pistons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Binderoid said:

So you’re getting 4 custom sleeves, remove studs, deck the block , turn the crank for $1000? Dang that’s cheap.

THATS WHAT I WAS THINKING...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...