560 gas running rough

I was using my 560 with a gas motor on an auger yesterday. It was running around 1400rpm so not much of a workout on an 8 inch auger. I noticed it seemed to be running a little rough. I was thinking it needed a tune up. When I shut it off I can here a sucking sound as the motor comes to a stop. It makes me wonder if a valve is bad or the head gasket is bad. Either way the head has to be pulled. What should I check prior to pulling the head?

Sure you are not just hearing some intake sound or cylinder(s) depressurizing on exhaust stroke just as the engine stops turning? I would be inclined to do a thorough tune up before I pulled the head and see how it runs. Running for extended periods of light load and low rpm could cause some plug fouling, maybe she needs a good workout.

• Like 1

We had a 706G that was missing a cylinder.

Reset the vales and that cylinder came back to life.

Sometimes it is the little things.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TomH said:

Sure you are not just hearing some intake sound or cylinder(s) depressurizing on exhaust stroke just as the engine stops turning? I would be inclined to do a thorough tune up before I pulled the head and see how it runs. Running for extended periods of light load and low rpm could cause some plug fouling, maybe she needs a good workout.

I have had this tractor since 1993, the sucking sound I here is abnormal. A good workout with a bad head gasket could be disastrous. Im going to do a little more investigating before I do that but thanks for the advice.

I know it is not the plugs. 

15 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

We had a 706G that was missing a cylinder.

Reset the vales and that cylinder came back to life.

Sometimes it is the little things.

Maybe Im paranoid but my 706 blew the head gasket between 3 and 4th cylinder and sounded similiar a few years back. If a valve stuck would there be enough room that the piston wouldn't hit it? I think I will pull plug wires one at a time to isolate which cylinder it is and see if it has compression.

He didn't say anything about valve being stuck. He said adjust them and make sure one isn't too tight or loose. Also I would run a compression test on all cyls before pulling the head. (sounds like you are going to) Could it be an intake leak causing loss of vacuum and thus a sucking sound? Hope it's not a head gasket. Good luck. 

• Like 1

check fluid levels for contamination, check for smoke when starting possibly infiltration of fluids from bad headgasket, check radiator for bubbles, check for intake leaks by fogging around it with carb cleaner or ether. ditto on teh compression test, running rough could just be an issue with contaminated fuel getting into a jet/seat orifice. hopefully something simple. After that has been done then start with the valve cover adn look for pushrod/rocker anomalies - maybe just something loose or bent. 

sounds like you know the drill so good luck....

On 7/8/2021 at 4:10 AM, tractorholic said:

I was using my 560 with a gas motor on an auger yesterday. It was running around 1400rpm so not much of a workout on an 8 inch auger. I noticed it seemed to be running a little rough. I was thinking it needed a tune up. When I shut it off I can here a sucking sound as the motor comes to a stop. It makes me wonder if a valve is bad or the head gasket is bad. Either way the head has to be pulled. What should I check prior to pulling the head?

you need to check the compression first thing. then u go from there. it can be as simple as needing the valves set. you dont pull a head just for the sake of guessing.

Pulling plug wires I found that pulling cylinder1 or two makes no difference in how it runs. All other wires pulled one at a time is quite noticeable in the way it runs.

The way it sounds when it runs isnt very noticeable. Its when you shut off the key that the sucking sound on one cylinder is VERY noticeable.

I dont see how this could be a fuel issue. Hopefully later today I can do a little more investigating. Standing next to it shutting down it sure sounds like the sound is coming from the exhaust. But I might try spraying something around the intake.

From what you are describing it sounds like you blew the headgasket between 1 and 2.

We had this issue on our 460 15 years ago except ours went between 3 and 4 . When turning it over you heard the sucking sound you describe. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, tractorholic said:

Pulling plug wires I found that pulling cylinder1 or two makes no difference in how it runs. All other wires pulled one at a time is quite noticeable in the way it runs.

The way it sounds when it runs isnt very noticeable. Its when you shut off the key that the sucking sound on one cylinder is VERY noticeable.

I dont see how this could be a fuel issue. Hopefully later today I can do a little more investigating. Standing next to it shutting down it sure sounds like the sound is coming from the exhaust. But I might try spraying something around the intake.

i am amased, compression check was ordered. yes, so check the COMPRESSION ! nothing hard. sounds like the head gasket is burnt between the 2 cyls.  AS STOMPIN TOM SAYS GET TO IT AND AT IT, CAUSE IF YOU DONT GET TO IT YOU WONT GET AT IT TO GET TO IT.  for the time you spend posting your  investigating's you have the comp. check done and have your answer.  its the head gasket from what you describe. do you have a compression tester? you will get 2 low readings on those 2 cyls'  do you know how to check compression???

18 hours ago, rustred said:

i am amased, compression check was ordered. yes, so check the COMPRESSION ! nothing hard. sounds like the head gasket is burnt between the 2 cyls.  AS STOMPIN TOM SAYS GET TO IT AND AT IT, CAUSE IF YOU DONT GET TO IT YOU WONT GET AT IT TO GET TO IT.  for the time you spend posting your  investigating's you have the comp. check done and have your answer.  its the head gasket from what you describe. do you have a compression tester? you will get 2 low readings on those 2 cyls'  do you know how to check compression???

I dont remember "Stomping Tom" saying that. I wont waste anymore time on this topic. Sorry I posted on here at all about this. 

It amazes me how some say this is such a great forum and theres no dumb questions.... and then theres your post. 

I don't post much on here. I will be more careful as to what I post. I obviously don't have your vast wisdom. Im just a dumb farmer that has had success at it for 30 years fulltime so I probably dont know any thing. Kiss my #$! Rustred. I dont need your advice

I was having a similar situation on my tractor. Turned out to be the intake gasket had lost a chunk out of it, which affected the front two cylinders. I had checked it one time with a propane bottle, but it did not show up. Just happened to see a clean spot and checked it.

7 hours ago, Duntongw said:

...a propane bottle...

Ether is good for finding intake leaks, too.  Engine will surge if you find one.

T-holic;

If your fuel is good, and you've found 1&2 "dead" via spark plug wires, I'd still swap wires from, say, 1&2 with 5&6 to make sure the problem doesn't "move" with the wires.  I'd also closely inspect the distributor cap for cracks/oil residue/carbon tracks, and the breaker-points cam for bad lobes.

Whereas I agree that there are a number of much easier/basic things to check before thinking about pulling a head, no one benefits from "advice" with a side order of "bad attitude" - don't know if the other guy was just having a bad day, but this forum is just fine without that crap IMNSHO.

Thanks

Mark

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tractorholic said:

I dont remember "Stomping Tom" saying that. I wont waste anymore time on this topic. Sorry I posted on here at all about this. 

It amazes me how some say this is such a great forum and theres no dumb questions.... and then theres your post. 

I don't post much on here. I will be more careful as to what I post. I obviously don't have your vast wisdom. Im just a dumb farmer that has had success at it for 30 years fulltime so I probably dont know any thing. Kiss my #$! Rustred. I dont need your advice

yes u asked for info... i said check compression. that is the first step. u came back talking about investigating the problem . so yes it gets a person annoyed that you asked and then were told how to find problem by did not procede to do it. i expected you compression readings posted next . no different that diagnosing over the ph from work. is  was told check compression and did not then i better have some explaining to do to the higher ups. its just the procedure in diagnosing. it dont bother me cause i just try to help everyone out. even j mech was good but he could not stand when people didnt listen either. u got free good proper info so use it.  i dont use sugar an anything so i guess that hurts some feelings.  .... ooh and yes stompin top sings that song.   we had a saying at work "good help is hard to come by". so thank you and good luck .