Can somebody please explain

Big Bud guy

To me exactly what a power director is on a AC tractor and how it works?  Is it some revolutionary transmission bestowed upon us by AC that has the competition shaping in their boots.  Last part sarcasm, first part real question.  

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1007370&mid=9098160#M9098160

• Like 1

Boy, those Allis guys over there probably know who really shot Kennedy...............I am learning ALL kinds of amazing facts the past few days, good thing its blazing hot here, I am in the house with the boys for most of the day so I can absorb all this info.

• Like 2

Power dereocyor 

2 minutes ago, Lars (midessa) said:

Power Director, or Traction Booster?

O, by the way, it was not Oswald.

Power Director.  Did you read the link?? Apparently the 190xt is the tractor everybody else tried to imitate.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lars (midessa) said:

No, didn’t read that one, the only AC, I had any seat time with was a 7000, that my employer leased one spring. They had a couple Uni’s that had the Allis engines.

About the same with me, most AC experience was the 426's in the Uni's.................I was around a 7080 some but never did much more than move it, about the same for the Ford's newer than the 800's..........Moved one across the field with a water tank transplanting one year(TW-30) but that was it...........All Deere, IH, some JI Case, some Oliver/White, and some Massy...........

The power director is basically just a torque amplifier that you can also use as a hand clutch, that's how allis Chalmers tractors of that vintage have live power.

• Like 1

Traction Booster is what AC called their draft control for the 3pt hitch. 

As I recall power director is what they called their TA. Only it had a neutral in the middle because it didn't have what I consider independent or live PTO. If you used the foot clutch everything stopped. The hand clutch or power director would stop motion and allow the PTO to run but you could not shift gears. Similar to the M&W hand clutch for the M only it was 2 speed. It was a real pita for round baling  where you wanted to back up and drop the bale. 

I ran a 7080 for a few rounds once upon a time.  IIRC it had two push button foot shifters like the Ford 8000 +.  A lot like a TA.

• Like 2

Uncle has a 190XT. That link makes it sound like a space shuttle. I’ve run the 190 some and a space shuttle it is not...  To each his own I supposed. 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

I ran a 7080 for a few rounds once upon a time.  IIRC it had two push button foot shifters like the Ford 8000 +.  A lot like a TA.

Yes, we had a 7060 and 7020 ps and I remember using a 7045 with the power director buttons on the floor. I think it was a loaner when the 7060 was broken down

• Like 1

I had both a 7020 and 7045 power director. Both had buttons on the floor. 7020 was a 4 speed 7045 a 5 speed. Much like a TA only no free wheel. Made a great loader tractor. Move the shifter forward or back. 

12 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

When did the power director get moved from the floor to a switch up by the steering wheel?  8000's the first or did they change that with the late 7000's?

Had a 7060 and 7080 both late model black bellies. 2 buttons in floor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve C. said:

47 minutes ago, bitty said:

Yes, we had a 7060 and 7020 ps and I remember using a 7045 with the power director buttons on the floor. I think it was a loaner when the 7060 was broken down

13 minutes ago, Farmall Nut said:

Had a 7060 and 7080 both late model black bellies. 2 buttons in floor. 

Actually, more like the Ford Dual Power.

My Steiger Cougar has an AC transmission and axles in it. Steiger called it a range power shift, but I believe AC called it a 20 speed power director. It’s the same as what is in a 4W-305 Allis. It has a paddle switch in the console, but automatically down shifts if you push in the clutch. It makes it impossible to start out a load in high. This sounds like a great idea, except the high side has less clutch discs in it since the high side is not supposed to have to start a static load. The high side went out on mine years ago because of this design. The transmission operates very similar to a quad range JD in my opinion except the gear spacing makes a lot more sense. The quad range is also about a bazillion times easier to shift especially when the trans oil is cold. 

Here is a blurb on the power shift trans Allis used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8rrXaItrPM

Not much out there on how the Power Director works.  That I have found so far anyway.

Edit to add.  A google search of the Allis Chalmers Power Director will turn up several somewhat enlightening discussions.  Sounds like it was a bullet proof but quirky arrangement.

1979  Buddy had an AC 7000 at a tractor pull. I had a newer Deere 4440 466 CI  130-140 Hp. Buddy had a weenie 301 CI 105 hp, it was so pathetic A bet was made of $20. Easy money,  taking candy from the baby easy. 30 + HP more Out weighed him by several thousand pounds. What could go wrong? I pull first did good. Next the 301. It didn't stop where I stopped, It kept on going and going and gone. WTH I don't know what it had for a transmission but it had a lot of gears . Became life long friends after that so was worth the 20 bucks R.I.P N.LEE Miss you!!

• Like 1

Never had ours apart to see its inner workings, i will say i do like it, its on a D14 and mechanical, so somewhat different from a 190 I expect. I like the shift on the fly and the not overrunning itself , less important for field work perhaps, really nice when the hill  gets steep or going gets tough. 

11 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Here is a blurb on the power shift trans Allis used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8rrXaItrPM

Not much out there on how the Power Director works.  That I have found so far anyway.

Edit to add.  A google search of the Allis Chalmers Power Director will turn up several somewhat enlightening discussions.  Sounds like it was a bullet proof but quirky arrangement.

J&L has alot of good Allis Material on their youtube channel.................Watched most of them.

Have two Allis’s at home, a 170 and a 185. The power director is just a high and low with a neutral in the middle like others have said. They will hold up to more slipping then the main clutch but they won’t hold up to very high HP and shifting on the pulling track. Our 170 and the neighbors 185 I know personally have over 12,000 hours and the power director clutches have never been touched. As far as shifting gears while the power director is in neutral and main clutch still engaged for PRO use, with the right motion on the hand while completely stopped you can shift from 2nd to reverse and back with no trouble all day long till you take just a little to long during the shift. Under normal field conditions they are great and take getting used to using like any other tractor but they are not the tractor to let just anyone drive. 

I plowed with a 7080 one spring for a neighbor 20 years ago it had a switch on the flower same as a ford TW30 and shifted the same nothing special

(nothing to see here folks ,just move along)

Allis did make some cool stuff over the years but that wasn't it

Oliver had the best idea but at the time they couldn't shift it, when AGCO picked up Fendt there engineers made it work with a computer that was  the IVT that they all have now 

1 hour ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

I plowed with a 7080 one spring for a neighbor 20 years ago it had a switch on the flower same as a ford TW30 and shifted the same nothing special

(nothing to see here folks ,just move along)

Allis did make some cool stuff over the years but that wasn't it

Oliver had the best idea but at the time they couldn't shift it, when AGCO picked up Fendt there engineers made it work with a computer that was  the IVT that they all have now 

Alot of others had it at the time too, nobody else could make it work, only reason Oliver is better know was because the pieces/pictures/video left behind................Everyone elses was hidden.  I seem to recall some parts of IH's making it out, but all of those parts were common to other parts, the "Good" stuff was gone.

• Like 1