First six rows are ready

lorenzo

How do you keep the raccoons out of your sweet corn ? we used to plant some and it always ended up as a critter buffet a day or so before it was ready.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

A double wire electric fence surrounds all 12 rows.  A radio blasting the worst rap music I could find in the center of the patch, I spray the perimeter with critter control that’s basically a garlic oil , four jugs of carpet fresh sprinkled around the perimeter just out past the garlic oil,  and a VR80 fitted with a SureFire flash light, a ten round magazine loaded with magnum #4 shot Federal shells and a pistol just in case sitting under my gazebo untill around 1 Am  watching .  If I had some claymore klackers and a some trip wire I would do that too.  Thinking about building my own flame thrower next. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

15 minutes ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

Iooks good but must about 3 bucks an ear with all that critter control!!

O heck no .  More like Twenty .  The Seed  alone was $250.  Lol

• Haha 2

My sweet corn looks awful. Short and curled leaves. Too cold an wet early. Now too hot n dry.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, iowaboy1965 said:

My sweet corn looks awful. Short and curled leaves. Too cold an wet early. Now too hot n dry.

Come get all you want from me,  I plant it for fun and give it all away to family, neighbors and friends. 

• Like 4

A good friend of mine's dad loved fresh sweet corn, so his dad had him plant 6 rows in the middle of a 10 acre field of field corn. His dad would go check on it often, he came back one evening telling his wife "about two more days we'll have lots of sweet corn" you guessed it that night the coons moved in and cleaned it out.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I should be able to help out with some a little closer than Nebraska. Provided the little masked bandits don't ruin it. They usually get a little but not the whole patch.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, lorenzo said:

O heck no .  More like Twenty .  The Seed  alone was $250.  Lol

Most seed dealers use to give away packets of sweet corn if you bought much seed from them. We use to have a lot of little bags of Garst sweet corn. I wish I would have at least kept the bags, lost to time I guess.  Nobody we deal with does that anymore. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Most seed dealers use to give away packets of sweet corn if you bought much seed from them. We use to have a lot of little bags of Garst sweet corn. I wish I would have at least kept the bags, lost to time I guess.  Nobody we deal with does that anymore. 

The company I buy seed from dosent have round up ready sweet corn so I have to buy it from another source. No one gives it away anymore anyway . 

My farming relative had a, mother, son, collie dog police dept, for critter control. Their worst fault was they would bring the dead critters into the back yard for show and tell. He also put up a 3 wire temporary fence in the worst areas for coons.

• Like 1

Ours is probably 2 weeks off. 3 wire electric around the patch.

Roundup ready. Renter supplies it and plants it. All I have to do is spray it and eat it. Don't know what brand. He plants a lot of Dekalb and Pioneer.

1 hour ago, dads706 said:

Ours is probably 2 weeks off. 3 wire electric around the patch.

Roundup ready. Renter supplies it and plants it. All I have to do is spray it and eat it. Don't know what brand. He plants a lot of Dekalb and Pioneer.

If it’s round up ready then it’s not Pioneer. 

10 hours ago, lorenzo said:

The company I buy seed from dosent have round up ready sweet corn so I have to buy it from another source. No one gives it away anymore anyway . 

We tried roundup ready sweet corn a few years back but it tasted more like field than sweet corn. Been conventional ever since. I usually have a little chemical left from conventional field corn and spray it with my 4 wheeler sprayer. Seed dealer gives me 3 to 4 lbs per year. 

10 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

Heck, my golden retriever would run through the sweet corn, grab an ear on his way through, then sit down and eat it??

That must be a Golden Retriever thing- our old girl LOVED to bring corn into the yard and eat it!!

• Like 2

Yep, the plow mule always had to me muzzled when working in corn, once mules get a taste for green tobacco they also had to be muzzled when plowing it.

One good thing about tractors, they don't feed on the crop!

5 hours ago, Lars (midessa) said:

Will have to try the sweet corn on our Maltese, she loves sweet potatoes.

Dangerous!  Once they have a taste, they will "harvest " it themselves!