Swather, a tale of two tires

My friend ruined a drive tire on his swather the other day. 

He called around to find a replacement. 

They were hard to find for one thing but he did find a tire dealer fairly close by that had some in his size. 

Friend said I'll take one, Dealer said no, you will take two. 

Why??? Dealer says if the other tire is worn (his was @60%) Putting a new tire on the other side will take out a final drive because of the difference in height. 

So, my friend bought two. 18.4R26 at $1500 a piece.

This didn't sound right to me but we were sitting in front of our firetrucks sipping a cool one and making sure none of the fireworks got away sunday night at the ball field in town and I didn't want to do any heavy thinkin'

Fast forward to today, I was sitting in MY swather and got to thinking about this. 

Now, to turn a swather you add more oil to one side to make that tire go faster than the other tire and magically, you can turn in a circle AND without taking out a final drive. 

So, turning the steering wheel a little bit to add more oil to the motor on the side with the shorter tire to make it go faster to keep up with the taller tire thus going in a straight line should work. Turning same applies. 

I can't see how we are going to take out a final drive.

Is my ignorance hanging out? Is j-mec going to come back from Bansville, Conn. to tell me he doesn't know how I breathe and walk at the same time and should not be allowed around a swather ever agian and should go sit in a dark room and don't think, don't talk and for heavens sake, don't post stupid questions on a tractor forum...........

Am I off base? 

Did he really need to buy two new matching tires?

• Haha 3

Jeff.....the only "Swather"  that I have messed   with was hydostatic..........I guess they all are.....Sent the oil down the line to the drive motors.....just as you described.......

Mike

• Like 2

The old 210 that Dad ran was a planetary system. Even that would not have been damaged by two different sized tires. You would just be pulling on the one lever more to go straight. 

• Like 2

I can’t comment on this. I’m a pull type haybine guy myself. In theory the two equal tires make sense but so does your logic. I’m torn. Maybe j-mec will come back to set us all straight. Maybe just maybe! 

• Haha 2

In theory tire dealer is right. As far as ruining hydrostatic one side would be ramped up faster as going into a perpetual turn so to speak. When a self propelled swather turns  one side speeds up one side slows down. Most swathes have a tandem pump unit with two separate pump sections one feeding each wheel and it’s own control lever hooked in tandem to other pump. If one tire was shot more than likely other tire is bad also.  A good analogy would be big and small tires on a rear of truck or tractor it will still go straight but hard on spider gears.

That guy just wanted to sell tires. I call bull puckey!!!   Hydrostatic drive is fluid drive. Don’t care how fast it’s going. One side just gets more oil. Split by steering valve. Just like adjusting the hot water in your shower 

• Like 3

If he is mowing center pivot circles would he want a new one on the outside and the used on the inside of the circle?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

He probably just didn’t want an odd number of tires in his inventory. 
the rest is BS. 
around here it’s all pivot circles.  The machines go their entire life with one tire going faster then the other and never a problem. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, 65806 said:

He probably just didn’t want an odd number of tires in his inventory. 
the rest is BS. 
around here it’s all pivot circles.  The machines go their entire life with one tire going faster then the other and never a problem. 

The crazy thing is with tire inventories like they are I would rather have one in stock rather than none 

• Like 2

Sandhiller not to steal your thread but on a similar line. My Colorado needs tires it’s a four wheel drive and when I called tire place and told them the size they knew I had a Colorado. So it has a rare size on it so they are high I asked if I could put next size bigger on it and was told if they over 1 1/2” taller I would have to get transmission reprogrammed, is that true . 

6 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Why??? Dealer says if the other tire is worn (his was @60%) Putting a new tire on the other side will take out a final drive because of the difference in height. 

Oh bull fluff.  Those machines spend a better part of their time with one drive turning at a different speed than the other anyway.  I suppose that clown says the same about skid steer tires??

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, ky966boy said:

Sandhiller not to steal your thread but on a similar line. My Colorado needs tires it’s a four wheel drive and when I called tire place and told them the size they knew I had a Colorado. So it has a rare size on it so they are high I asked if I could put next size bigger on it and was told if they over 1 1/2” taller I would have to get transmission reprogrammed, is that true . 

I think it's probably not a big deal but a high end or GM scan tool should be able to reprogram the ECM for the taller tires. Your speedometer/odometer will read correctly and shift points will be correct. They'll be only a small % off anyway. Tire shops get a little fussy but usually don't mind going up in speed/load capacity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bitty said:

The crazy thing is with tire inventories like they are I would rather have one in stock rather than none 

But, as an odd size that may never sell in the near future............better to have the space it occupies for inventory that moves.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gearclash said:

Oh bull fluff.  Those machines spend a better part of their time with one drive turning at a different speed than the other anyway.  I suppose that clown says the same about skid steer tires??

Right wrong or otherwise Neil Messick explains about using different height tires on skid steers.

https://youtu.be/js7whn-jcRw

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ky966boy said:

Isn’t that so your speedometer reads right again?

10 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Can I guess at the tire shop? Mr Tire in Valentine? 

No, Winner SD

9 hours ago, Gearclash said:

BOOM like that, i was going to say the same thing, if this were true 100% EVERY hydrostatic skid steer out there would be chucking parts out like watermelon seeds at a family reunion - I have yet to blow out a hydro motor ( until next time i fire  mine up ) on any of my SS because of tires being mismatched. 

some skid steers have multiple/individual motors, some have chain drive with split motors, some have oil split units off the pump blah blah 

you could potentially have a conundrum of guiness book proportions with tires/gears/hydros going out

in theory there is some validity in real life i wouldnt even bat an eye and worry about it 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

But, as an odd size that may never sell in the near future............better to have the space it occupies for inventory that moves.

18.4R26 is real popular size on the newer swathers around here. 

1 minute ago, sandhiller said:

No, Winner SD

no wonder, its just past the end/first of the month..........ok slap me -  those from there will understand - as for the jmech regards, i will add this, if I wanted something done to outlast me, he would be the person i would take it to. Anal to the point of perfection - I admire those people, I am the guy that has only one type of knowledge - does it work, yes, does it look like crap, probably, will it be sturdy, yes, will it need fixing again one of these days, yes, will it get me by till next time, yes, did I save a bunch of $$ today yes, over the long haul( debatable ) Some people are overly blessed with brains and talent I didnt get that gene. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

no wonder, its just past the end/first of the month..........ok slap me -  those from there will understand

??true dat??

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, zleinenbach said:

Isn’t that so your speedometer reads right again?

Don’t care about speedometer Amish pass me they said would mess up tranny I thought as long as I replaced all at same time I would be good but apparently not according to them .