5088 Frame Rail

The left frame rail on my 5088 is cracked at the back where it bolts to the transmission. Can these be welded and hold or should I look for a used one? The two bolts that go into the motor mount are messed up as well and missing. Hoping they can be tapped out. 

I personally would look for a used one. It's not impossible to weld it but it's going to be hard to get it perfect for all the bolts to line up without it warping in the end if it's where I am picturing it

• Like 1

Local welder that knows IH’s encouraged me to find a used one too. 

Maybe I’m missing something but can I simply unbolt the old one and bolt the new one back on without a lot of hassle.  Maybe jack up the front area to take the pressure off. 

where is the best place to place a jack under it?

6 hours ago, 66 Series Farmer said:

Local welder that knows IH’s encouraged me to find a used one too. 

Maybe I’m missing something but can I simply unbolt the old one and bolt the new one back on without a lot of hassle.  Maybe jack up the front area to take the pressure off. 

where is the best place to place a jack under it?

I would jack under the bell housing , also a small jack under the bolster area on the side you are removing

It can be welded , it was from new when it was built but if you can get a used one there are plenty of used ones out there . Like the other guys are telling you just jack it up at the bell housing and the block of wood on the front axel to the bolster and unbolt it ?

Danny