1086 PTO lever not staying engaged

This past weekend my boy cut hay with the 1086 and 1411 discbine. 

He told me when he was done that the PTO lever kept wanting to disengage.  

I won't be able to look at it for at least a week - and since we are done with first cut, I have time.

Looking to see if anyone has any specific areas to check the linkage or if this is internal to PTO (which is new 800 hours ago).

Thanks in advance for the help.  

Eddie

I recall somewhere hen I read through the owners manual something about being properly adjusted linkage Could be something didn't get tight enough and worked itself loose. Other than that, like snowshoe says, could be the spring pressure/broken spring on the detent ball. It's a place to start.

If the rod below the fuel Tank to the top of the PTO has been bumped,   Pin from 3 point Hitch was too long, Bent to the side,

This Rod Needs to be perfectly Straight,  

Or the small pins in the linkage is set up, That will act like the PTO is messing up.

Jim Droscha

I need to know if this looks right.

This is the PTO control lever that looks like it was smashed and bent toward the rearend housing.

might explain the problem if this is supposed to be straight as Jim Droscha indicated.....

Please let me know as I can have it off and in the vice in 12.6723 minutes.

IMG_3781.jpg

1 hour ago, eddie said:

I need to know if this looks right.

This is the PTO control lever that looks like it was smashed and bent toward the rearend housing.

might explain the problem if this is supposed to be straight as Jim Droscha indicated.....

Please let me know as I can have it off and in the vice in 12.6723 minutes.

Looks fine to me. I'm assuming that your pto engages by pushing the spool down into the pto unit? If it does, your problem most likely is low pressure.

Travis

Do not straighten that rod, it's supposed to be bent like that. Basically all that happens is when you engage the pto the other rod on that linkage pivot pushes back and goes over center. Kind of like an over center cam mechanism. I think you need to check the adjustment on the spool valve on the pto, it needs to be adjusted so the spool valve gets pulled up more when engaged. 

15 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Looks fine to me. I'm assuming that your pto engages by pushing the spool down into the pto unit? If it does, your problem most likely is low pressure.

Travis

The pto engages when the spool is pulled up.

11 minutes ago, TB5288 said:

The pto engages when the spool is pulled up.

Except on later pto's....on those pto pressure is what keeps the lever engaged.

Travis.

37 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

Symptoms fit late style push down. Picture looks like earlier overcenter pullup. In which case I would be checking to be sure linkage is going full over center.

This is a first year 1085. New pto though. Boy told me last night he cannot get the pro to lock out when off. Lever does not come back. Going to look at adjustment later today when he is there 

4 hours ago, Sparky said:

Except on later pto's....on those pto pressure is what keeps the lever engaged.

Travis.

I agree, I just meant going by the picture it was pull to engage style. 

The spool valve that moves up and down is 2 pieces, they thread together. I've had them come unscrewed, it'll act just like the linkage needs to be shortened. Just a thought, maybe something to look at. 

Not to take away from Eddie's post, I know I'm good for that. The comments here say that the later style ptos are the push down style but they had a 1566 at the farm that was a push down. Now I realize anything could have been switched out throughout the years but was there any rhyme or reason to what pto went on what tractor.

21 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Not to take away from Eddie's post, I know I'm good for that. The comments here say that the later style ptos are the push down style but they had a 1566 at the farm that was a push down. Now I realize anything could have been switched out throughout the years but was there any rhyme or reason to what pto went on what tractor.

I think most of the 1566s used that style 1000 rpm pto units. We have a early 1566 with that pto from factory and have seen another one that had that style.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 10:18 PM, TractormanMike.mb said:

Serial Number breaks for the 886, 986 and 1086. Above these serial numbers all had the hydraulic brake PTO. (spool pushes down to engage)
1486 serial number changed at 25999/26000
image.png.9efe52c2330497085c9a0821d3ea9f4f.png

On 7/9/2021 at 10:42 PM, dale560 said:

I think most of the 1566s used that style 1000 rpm pto units. We have a early 1566 with that pto from factory and have seen another one that had that style.

All 1566/68/86 had the hydraulic brake single speed PTO.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Maynard said:

Serial Number breaks for the 886, 986 and 1086. Above these serial numbers all had the hydraulic brake PTO. (spool pushes down to engage)
1486 serial number changed at 25999/26000
image.png.9efe52c2330497085c9a0821d3ea9f4f.png

All 1566/68/86 had the hydraulic brake single speed PTO.

Thanks Maynard your a wealth of knowledge.

All - thanks for the help.  The 1086 I have is a first year build.  The PTO is NOT push to engage.  It is pull to engage.

Last night I took a long look and figured out the problem.  The link rod from the PTO handle under the cab was bent like a banana.

I straightened it, adjusted the end and it now works perfect.

The pull to engage uses over center linkage to snap it in place and hold it.

The PTO now disengages and goes to full stop as it should.

The forum is a marvelous place to get the input as I was thinking the whole time it was in the PTO itself where the problem resided.

Thanks again everyone for the help on the PTO.

I still have to figure out the T/A to see if it really is failed or if there is a valve or link that is not working right.  I have no T/A at the moment.

Eddie.