Ken Shaffer

MTO

5 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

According to several news articles the motorcyclist was "likely speeding" and "traveling at a high rate of speed". 

It is easy to pass judgement on the truck driver that is still alive.  We were not there and neither were the state police, hence the investigation.  Have a little compassion for all involved.

None of us were there to see how things unfolded.  Emotionalism should not be a factor in how the truck driver is judged.  Could have been any number of lapses by all the parties involved.  I've seen motorcycle drivers hotdog it past my house which has a fair amount of blind distance involved.  There was an accident involving a tractor (not me) and a car just a couple of months ago just south of me.  I had to get the tractor driver to get off of the road as where he was sitting he would have been clipped by the first vehicle coming from the North.

But for the grace of God many of us could be either party involved. Agree we all need to be careful. Ty for the reminder Mark.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MTO said:

Be careful out there.

It was drilled into my brain that on a motorcycle that you were responsible for 200% of your safety by my uncle who had a BMW bike . Laws of physics are not on your side on a bike even in a single vehicle accident (just the bike) so you should drive accordingly. I never drove without full leather riding coveralls given to me by my cousin. This included in the hot summertime. My neighbor bought the bike from me and he hit a deer with it and luckily didn't have too many injuries. 

Maybe I am a chicken but I don't have any desire to ride one anymore

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bitty said:

Maybe I am a chicken but I don't have any desire to ride one anymore

You and me both

• Like 1

Hopefully, the state Highway Patrol's accident reconstruction people can do a good job recreating/investigating the accident and determine if charges need to be pressed.

I hope it doesn't turn into a mess like we have in South Dakota right now. Last September, our state's Attorney General hit a guy walking along the road at night, killing him instantly. The accident happened right in front of our dealership. There's been so much speculation, conspiracy theories, poor reporting by our state's media people that it has just turned into a circus. I will say this....I am very disappointed in the behavior of our Attorney General about this whole matter. He just acts like he has done absolutely nothing wrong....when its been proven that he was driving outside the white line when he hit this guy.

Unfortunately....I know all the people involved in this matter personally....with the exception of our state's Attorney General. 

I could write a book on all the crap that's been involved in this since the day it happened. And its far from over. The trial for it is supposed to be in August.

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, SDman said:

Hopefully, the state Highway Patrol's accident reconstruction people can do a good job recreating/investigating the accident and determine if charges need to be pressed.

I hope it doesn't turn into a mess like we have in South Dakota right now. Last September, our state's Attorney General hit a guy walking along the road at night, killing him instantly. The accident happened right in front of our dealership. There's been so much speculation, conspiracy theories, poor reporting by our state's media people that it has just turned into a circus. I will say this....I am very disappointed in the behavior of our Attorney General about this whole matter. He just acts like he has done absolutely nothing wrong....when its been proven that he was driving outside the white line when he hit this guy.

Unfortunately....I know all the people involved in this matter personally....with the exception of our state's Attorney General. 

I could write a book on all the crap that's been involved in this since the day it happened. And its far from over. The trial for it is supposed to be in August.

Up here it was first reported that he didn’t know what he hit. Our attorney generals investigators went down and did the report and investigated. There was a clear picture on tv of the attorney generals right side windshield knocked out the victims glasses in the car and more that he was texting and driving at the time. Here in North Dakota a 18 year old girl hit a John Deere gator killing the man driving she was arrested just lately for charges of texting and driving. Meanwhile in Bismarck a 85 year old grandmother killed a young woman by running over her in the parking lot. The grandma got two years probation and her record will be cleared after serving that. What a unfair treatment between the two.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Up here it was first reported that he didn’t know what he hit. Our attorney generals investigators went down and did the report and investigated. There was a clear picture on tv of the attorney generals right side windshield knocked out the victims glasses in the car and more that he was texting and driving at the time. Here in North Dakota a 18 year old girl hit a John Deere gator killing the man driving she was arrested just lately for charges of texting and driving. Meanwhile in Bismarck a 85 year old grandmother killed a young woman by running over her in the parking lot. The grandma got two years probation and her record will be cleared after serving that. What a unfair treatment between the two.

It is true he didn't know what he hit. He went back to the scene of the accident the next morning to see all the debris from the damage done to his car....and he found the guy at the side of the road.

Yes, your North Dakota criminal investigation team was down here for several days, as the SD people couldn't investigate due to conflict of interest.

I started riding maybe 5 years ago now. 
I went through the state defensive riders course to get my license. As far as I’m concerned it’s the only way to get your motorcycle endorsement- they teach you sooo much stuff! Every day I ride I reflect on what they taught/ showed me.
I enjoy riding, it gives me peace, but I avoid heavy traffic. I ride defensively, I NEVER trust a vehicle at an intersection. I always ride with my high beams on. 
As a truck driver, I see motorcycles better than cars simply because of the headlights. A lot of cars won’t turn on their lights in a rain, or fog, even dusk you’ll see cars without any lights on. To me, those are the most dangerous drivers…

• Thanks 1

Been riding for 42 yrs, started in the dirt, no matters who is right in an accident on a bike you lose

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've never had any incidents, but on more than one occasion I've had motorcycles pop up out of seemingly nowhere.  Sit at a stop, look right (all clear), look left (all clear), look back right and there 100 feet away is a motorcycle that was not there 15 seconds ago. They simply blend in. Lights or no lights.

I've ridden some 50+ years ago, laid a couple down a couple times, motorcycles were fun but just never my thing.

My cycle horror story....... Early 70's local couple in a car followed by their only son and only daughter on a motorcycle. The two lane they were on intersected with I-80 exit. Mother and father in the car passed the exit ramp, motorhome pulled out of the ramp and in front of son and daughter on the motorcycle. Motorcycle hit motorhome broadside. Both kids killed instantly. Parents saw it happen.

Both parents finally passed a few years ago. I say finally, because like any parent they never got over it. Their pain is over and hopefully are now with their kids. 

I knew the parents and the kids.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

One of my old acquaintances knew this mother and daughter, daughter turned 18 and went to the bar, asked him for a ride on his bike he had always promised, he said he hadn’t had a drink hard to totally believe knowing him but mom was drunk and didn’t want her daughter going with him, when they left she got in her car to save her, ended up chasing them and blocks later rear ended them and killing her daughter he was unscathed, crazy circumstances sometimes 

12 hours ago, MTO said:

Doubt Ken`s family would disagree.

Took my driver`s training in 1970.

There in lies what I think is a HUGE problem in the country....

I'm very much against more regulations,  but a driver's license is the only license you never have to take continuing ed classes. I think retaking the test every 5 years would stop ALOT of traffic accidents, people get way to complacent.

15 hours ago, MTO said:

Instructor HAMMERED into us how to safely navigate an intersection.

422…

Tire shop guy has video after video of people running lights, accidents, etc.

I believe this one was down by you MTO a few years back with the puller & if I remember car pulled right out in front of them.

8E34A81C-4C18-415F-AF83-F55363CA08C7.jpeg

1DBA21A2-422A-42C6-829B-68CCBCC5847E.jpeg

22 hours ago, cobfly said:

SIPDE! And good luck. 

When I got my motorcycle endorsement, in Idaho, SIPDE is an acronym I ride with. Scan, identify, process, decide, execute. All within a split second of course. That's why the good luck 

On 7/5/2021 at 10:59 PM, searcyfarms said:

oh my, so sorry about ken, i had a car pull out in front of me at 17 and i was driving sensibly for once in my life hit them at appx 30mph, cracked my helmet and road rashed me pretty good. never drove a street bike after that stuck to the dirt bikes figured i would take my chances with trees

I laid mine down after some idiot pulled out in front of me and I almost rear ended them. Last I remember was watching my bike slide away from me and hit a curb on its side as I slid down the highway kneeling, then rolling onto my back before I went into some landscaping. 

You're right though, at least trees won't pull out in front of you unexpected, or make a poor turn.

I was talking with my gurl about a ride to whistler and as always I said drive like your invisible, then I said to mom I hope she doesn’t get POd that I bring it up all the time, she says you are talking after 57 years of riding and one accident to 5 years of riding and still learning so don’t sweat it! Wimmin!! can’t live with them can’t live without them.

No matter who was right----who was wrong .  One man is dead and one man will have the memory on  his mind for a long time.

I am not a rider------just occasionally the 4 wheeler on the farm.

I would like to compliment the riders that wear helmets and safety oriented coloring.  I have seen motorcycles appear out of nowhere when they were blended into the background.  

All black (helmet, jacket, cycle, etc) seems the worst to me.

Don't know what color is the safest.  I met a motorcycle a week or so ago-----he had on a "highway safety green" helmet and jumpsuit.  I musta noticed him for more than a mile away while in traffic.

Play it safe-----have a good time.  Wish I wuz riding with you.

DD

• Like 2

l have lots and lots of miles on motorcycles, mostly road miles. But l have even more miles driving trucks. One day, l stopped at a intersection of a paved county road and major 2 lane highway. l've always done the "swivel" thing....continuously looking each direction while entering a intersection.

l would have sworn on a stack of Bibles that nothing was coming either way. But suddenly about 50 feet away, l saw a motorcycle swerving to the shoulder to avoid hitting my truck broadside. Even though l looked both ways, l didn't see him because of the truck mirror. l learned the hard way that day to not only to check both ways but also lean forward and back to see what is hidden behind the mirrors.

On 7/6/2021 at 1:49 PM, dale560 said:

If grandma was texting, yes it is unfair.  If not, then it was fair.  I think if you drink, do drugs, or text and drive and have an accident where you injure someone, you should lose your license for life.