Jump to content

Lake freight ships.


Missouri Mule
 Share

Recommended Posts

I think its farmall doctor that enjoys big boats maybe??  Got to take a trip to the UP Michigan. We are still here now, and made a stop at mackinac island. What a beautiful stop that was. We went across in the ferry boat. I could do without all the people but hey. Anyway I've never been around the Laker boats much, and notice the ones I saw  have steam vapor coming out of the stacks. Are these hydro turbine units of some sort? Maybe just the generators? I have no idea, and just assumed they were diesel powered 100%. We visited the soo locks and now traveling west toward picture rocks, then onto west side of state Ironwood. That's where my grandparents lived all their lives. 

Pictures are just for the heck of it, question is about the steam on the boat. 

20210704_154413.jpg

20210703_173307.jpg

20210705_133500.jpg

20210705_133641.jpg

20210705_133655.jpg

20210705_140430.jpg

20210705_133520.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome to the UP my friend. How long are you going to be here and where are you planning on visiting.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What color is the stack band on that boat? Almost looks like white,red,white. Could be orange, too.

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rick is correct on the steam from the turbine. I go up there every summer and love seeing those ships. Working on one was my second career choice if I couldn’t farm. Going to the locks is always a great sight and I’d highly recommend anyone that goes to do the lock tour. Well worth it. The island is always nice especially if you go after tourist time when it’s not shoulder to shoulder. Can’t beat the Sight of the bridge lit up at night. Would like to do the tractor crossing some time. Anyone on here ever do it? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

What color is the stack band on that boat? Almost looks like white,red,white. Could be orange, too.

Mike

It’s orange. That’s an interlake steamship freighter. Their color is black with the orange band. I believe that’s the Herbert c Jackson ship which was the next ship built after the Edmund Fitzgerald in the Great Lakes engineering works ship yard

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Cummings1486 said:

It’s orange. That’s an interlake steamship freighter. Their color is black with the orange band. I believe that’s the Herbert c Jackson ship which was the next ship built after the Edmund Fitzgerald in the Great Lakes engineering works ship yard

I took a quick look on the AIS map & did not see it in the area. Will have to poke around more when I get back from walking the dog. Always like to look around & see who's where.

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

I took a quick look on the AIS map & did not see it in the area. Will have to poke around more when I get back from walking the dog. Always like to look around & see who's where.

Mike

This ship was headed off Lake Michigan onto Huron last night. The picture was taken near the mackinaw bridge. It was a bit far to read the name for me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Welcome to the UP my friend. How long are you going to be here and where are you planning on visiting.

Rest of the week. We came up through lower P along the lake and stopped in st ignace for 2 days. Now we are in munising to do picture rocks tomorrow. Then headed straight to ironwood for 3 days. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

I took a quick look on the AIS map & did not see it in the area. Will have to poke around more when I get back from walking the dog. Always like to look around & see who's where.

Mike

I’ll have to take a look and see. Its hard to make out the name but I thought maybe that was it. They have one other ship like that under the name of hon. James L oberstar as well. Could be that one but looking at the length of the name I thought it was the Jackson 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hard to believe they built this thing in 93 days. There's a tale that there was supposed to be a 1,000 bonus to all the workers if they could do it in 90 days. The workers caught wind that the construction owner was going to keep the bonus money instead of giving it to the workers. Well they supposedly lost some tools and found some of the work to be unsuitable right at the end so nobody got the money. This is the story the buggy ride tour guide gave us. Couldnt tell you if it's TRUE 

20210704_114709.jpg

20210704_114722.jpg

20210704_114454.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cummings1486 said:

I’ll have to take a look and see. Its hard to make out the name but I thought maybe that was it. They have one other ship like that under the name of hon. James L oberstar as well. Could be that one but looking at the length of the name I thought it was the Jackson 

After some searching, it looks to be the Kaye E. Barker. The name is in the right spot on the hull & the letter spacing looks to be about right. It's position (as of two hours ago), 26 miles N of Sarnia, is about right for the amount of time since MO Mule saw it.... presumably this morning. Current destination is somewhere in Dearborn.

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

After some searching, it looks to be the Kaye E. Barker. The name is in the right spot on the hull & the letter spacing looks to be about right. It's position (as of two hours ago), 26 miles N of Sarnia, is about right for the amount of time since MO Mule saw it.... presumably this morning. Current destination is somewhere in Dearborn.

Mike

Ok that would make sense then. I looked up the other two and one was docked at Marquette getting loaded and the other was headed towards Duluth. It was hard to tell in the pic but that was my guess on it. Im guessing it’s going to fords rouge river complex. Some useless info for you, before interlake bought it , the barker actually sailed for ford motor company back when they had their own fleet. Was called the benson ford at that time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Cummings1486 said:

Ok that would make sense then. I looked up the other two and one was docked at Marquette getting loaded and the other was headed towards Duluth. It was hard to tell in the pic but that was my guess on it. Im guessing it’s going to fords rouge river complex. Some useless info for you, before interlake bought it , the barker actually sailed for ford motor company back when they had their own fleet. Was called the benson ford at that time. 

I saw that when I was digging through the info about the boat. It was christened with the name Edward B. Greene. Neat stuff! It's always interesting to read up on their history. I'll make an attempt to post a link to what I found here:

https://boatnerd.com/kaye-e-barker/

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

I saw that when I was digging through the info about the boat. It was christened with the name Edward B. Greene. Neat stuff! It's always interesting to read up on their history. I'll make an attempt to post a link to what I found here:

https://boatnerd.com/kaye-e-barker/

Mike

That’s right! And I agree. Amazing how many times some have changed names and hands over the years. Still a few sailing with their original name and owner but very few. Thank you for posting that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Hard to believe they built this thing in 93 days. There's a tale that there was supposed to be a 1,000 bonus to all the workers if they could do it in 90 days. The workers caught wind that the construction owner was going to keep the bonus money instead of giving it to the workers. Well they supposedly lost some tools and found some of the work to be unsuitable right at the end so nobody got the money. This is the story the buggy ride tour guide gave us. Couldnt tell you if it's TRUE 

20210704_114709.jpg

20210704_114722.jpg

20210704_114454.jpg

Stayed there about 10 years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Stayed there about 10 years ago.

I was about 8-10 years old first time we took a family vacation to Michgan and spent a day on the island. Took the island horse drawn wagon tour, bought some fudge, walked into the Grand Hotel but at $100/night back then that was the entire vacation budget.   Did get back to the island once with the wife some time in the 1980's.  Still want to spend a night at the hotel!

   My folks were facinated with the locks.  It didn't take much of an excuse and they would spend most of the day watching the boats go through the locks.  Mom and my Sister actually made it through the Panama Canal several years before Mom passed away.  The new bigger locks were well under way but not completed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If that is the Oberstar, she is powered by 2 Rolls-Royce Marine Bergen 6-cylinder B32:40L6P diesel engines each rated at 4,079 b.h.p each.  The white steam is actually caused from exhaust scrubbers that were installed by Interlake on most if not all of their diesel powered ships.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MCC said:

If that is the Oberstar, she is powered by 2 Rolls-Royce Marine Bergen 6-cylinder B32:40L6P diesel engines each rated at 4,079 b.h.p each.  The white steam is actually caused from exhaust scrubbers that were installed by Interlake on most if not all of their diesel powered ships.

 

That's what the it reminded me of, the steam off the scrubber on our coal fired plants. Didn't have as much authority to be exhaust steam. Unless they capture it to reclaim heat for something. A scrubber makes sense. I can only assume they are under scrutiny much like vehicles etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Missouri Mule said:

That's what the it reminded me of, the steam off the scrubber on our coal fired plants. Didn't have as much authority to be exhaust steam. Unless they capture it to reclaim heat for something. A scrubber makes sense. I can only assume they are under scrutiny much like vehicles etc. 

On your way to ironwood stop at Bond falls it beautiful. And you could go to the lake of the clouds but that’s a little north.

561C3F1F-5D2C-4D7E-8DEF-7F67AE2A95B7.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Cummings1486 said:

Rick is correct on the steam from the turbine. I go up there every summer and love seeing those ships. Working on one was my second career choice if I couldn’t farm. Going to the locks is always a great sight and I’d highly recommend anyone that goes to do the lock tour. Well worth it. The island is always nice especially if you go after tourist time when it’s not shoulder to shoulder. Can’t beat the Sight of the bridge lit up at night. Would like to do the tractor crossing some time. Anyone on here ever do it? 

Yep, tractor crossing was one the coolest things I have ever done with a tractor. Dad on the H and myself on the Case 830. 

20190906_102903.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...