Never heard of Royal Enfield

MTO

Royal Enfield was a typical British bike. The whole thing, tooling and all went to India years ago. They’ve been making them for decades and they’re quite reliable. Price and look is right as well. Other than mandatory safety updates they’re still the same, simple, lightweight and easy to ride. 

• Like 2

60s had some great bikes, royal enfield, triumph, bsa, norton, Vincent, matchless they were just to die for, hogs were at another level, and the jap bikes were just getting mobile, by the end of the 60s the jap bikes were something, with the  advent of the inline fours power to spare, then there was some of the side market bikes, puchs, allstate, vespas, I’m not up enough on Indians to have their numbers but they were a great looking machine just bad management.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, New Englander said:

easy to ride. 

Easy?

Your nuts are level with the handlebars!

Like a crotch rocket.

I prefer the "recliner" design myself. 

But without "Monkey" bars.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dasnake said:

60s had some great bikes, royal enfield, triumph, bsa, norton, Vincent, matchless they were just to die for, hogs were at another level, and the jap bikes were just getting mobile, by the end of the 60s the jap bikes were something, with the  advent of the inline fours power to spare, then there was some of the side market bikes, puchs, allstate, vespas, I’m not up enough on Indians to have their numbers but they were a great looking machine just bad management.

Jake....you forgot  AJS  and Velocette..and    Francis  Barnett.....!!!...and there is possibly more...

...I remember, AJS   and Matchless  were like Austin and Morris........same bike/car...just badged   differently...

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, MTO said:

Easy?

Like a crotch rocket.

MTO...you need to think outside the square....as folk are wont to say....

...given the brutal frankness of your opening line....  do you think the motor cycle in question could be  the answer for the ......

...Transgender   Motorcycle   Circuit   Racer  ????....

....who....as I understand.....in their new "role "...(roll ??)....see   "nuts""  as surplus to requirements .....:blink:

Mike

...its seems the complexities    of life , are hard for me to understand....It seemed so simple....back in the halycon days.....when men were men...and woman   etc   etc  etc  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

For what it’s worth the Royal Enfield motorcycle became available to the public in 1909 however the company was already making bicycles , lawnmowers and stationary engines and I believe they are still in production today.  It was once thought that the Thistlegorm shipwreck in the Egyptian Red Sea had Royal Enfield motorcycles in the cargo holds  but I could not identify any thing other then the Norton model 16 H  and the BSA WDM-20.   AKA. M-20  and Matchless . 
I believe the rumor of Royal Enfield motorcycles on the Thistlegorm may have came from the fact that Enfield  303 rifles are in fact in the holds by the hundreds still in their original crates . However the rifle and motorcycle manufactures are unrelated.

Here are some pictures of my visit to the Thistlegorm if your interested. 
We lit her up like a Christmas tree to get decent pictures. The first picture is of the rifles still in their crates.6BC642B4-D704-4245-9ED8-594A2B38166F.jpeg.e94569d77acf1d29ac76a9eaf4b95037.jpeg

8186C4FE-C139-482B-A74D-B1814D54E9E3.thumb.jpeg.7b63c30850de2b99db216113298cf893.jpeg

678A4548-64A9-4B2A-9660-071BE919AA76.jpeg.61831a7110581d2d06264beb4c263fd5.jpeg

D32CB53F-EF34-42B8-AFAB-7587EA33FEBE.jpeg.35cd926f3c0ef7ccbb52232533d92e78.jpeg

7F7C4651-84B6-4362-AE2B-26B31F0318B6.jpeg.26445aeb49d7c4feb464eb5d5be32b4f.jpeg

4D17053F-F5AC-4D69-AE08-50EBB1C4FF1C.jpeg.5843118e16b1ba56e4d3d3f9bbf1e5cf.jpeg

40072118-BEDD-4E1D-A1F5-1E35A15A9070.thumb.jpeg.7be0281961ae526b62663a05fa1efd64.jpeg

Once upon a time the Norton’s looked like this . 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

My first REAL MC after my 125cc Gilera, was a Matchless 500cc single cylinder.

Traded that for a Triumph 500 Daytona and also bought a Harley Davidson 250 Sprint.

In those days, anything larger that a 250cc was a BIG bike. A friend killed himself on a Norton 750 Road Atlas when he tried to take a curve too fast. Too much motorcycle and too little experience.

Always wanted an Odessa Scrambler but never got one...  Cool pictures!!!

• Like 2

Boy Lo, a little bit of rubbing and they are ready to go, how deep is the ship? Any chance to raise anything or is it off limits? I remember the titanic story about some old very rare car being in the hold.

1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

For what it’s worth the Royal Enfield motorcycle became available to the public in 1909 however the company was already making bicycles , lawnmowers and stationary engines and I believe they are still in production today.  It was once thought that the Thistlegorm shipwreck in the Egyptian Red Sea had Royal Enfield motorcycles in the cargo holds  but I could not identify any thing other then the Norton model 16 H  and the BSA WDM-20.   AKA. M-20  and Matchless . 
I believe the rumor of Royal Enfield motorcycles on the Thistlegorm may have came from the fact that Enfield  303 rifles are in fact in the holds by the hundreds still in their original crates . However the rifle and motorcycle manufactures are unrelated.

Here are some pictures of my visit to the Thistlegorm if your interested. 
We lit her up like a Christmas tree to get decent pictures. The first picture is of the rifles still in their crates.6BC642B4-D704-4245-9ED8-594A2B38166F.jpeg.e94569d77acf1d29ac76a9eaf4b95037.jpeg

8186C4FE-C139-482B-A74D-B1814D54E9E3.thumb.jpeg.7b63c30850de2b99db216113298cf893.jpeg

678A4548-64A9-4B2A-9660-071BE919AA76.jpeg.61831a7110581d2d06264beb4c263fd5.jpeg

7F7C4651-84B6-4362-AE2B-26B31F0318B6.jpeg.26445aeb49d7c4feb464eb5d5be32b4f.jpeg

4D17053F-F5AC-4D69-AE08-50EBB1C4FF1C.jpeg.5843118e16b1ba56e4d3d3f9bbf1e5cf.jpeg

40072118-BEDD-4E1D-A1F5-1E35A15A9070.thumb.jpeg.7be0281961ae526b62663a05fa1efd64.jpeg

Once upon a time the Norton’s looked like this . 

39 minutes ago, 101Pathfinder said:

My first REAL MC after my 125cc Gilera, was a Matchless 500cc single cylinder.

Traded that for a Triumph 500 Daytona and also bought a Harley Davidson 250 Sprint.

In those days, anything larger that a 250cc was a BIG bike. A friend killed himself on a Norton 750 Road Atlas when he tried to take a curve too fast. Too much motorcycle and too little experience.

Always wanted an Odessa Scrambler but never got one...  Cool pictures!!!

When I got my first bike another rider had a 500 single, just a beast, 1964, black leather and no hats, fun daze, odessa that is another great memory, i had a great love for the early bonnies and the bsa lightning, a guy up the road had 650 lightning, straight pjpes and raw power, did a halloween run in '64 with a local bike gang/bunch, whatever, the big thing was the 900 sportsters, this was two years before the shovel showed, and the wowzer for a 16 year old punk.

3 hours ago, mike newman said:

Jake....you forgot  AJS  and Velocette..and    Francis  Barnett.....!!!...and there is possibly more...

...I remember, AJS   and Matchless  were like Austin and Morris........same bike/car...just badged   differently...

Mike

Mike another lapse, the Ariel square 4, BMW, there also is the really old stuff from the teens, lorenzo is up on those, i remember the jap inlines late 60s, I got in early with a '71 honda 750, tweaked the carbs and the ignition and it would lift the front wheel hitting second gear, then in '81 got an inline 1100 yamaha that I decked with carbs and exhaust, mom and I did her first long trip to Texas on that, 7500 miles and a couple of burned noses, lots of fun, my interest is waning a bit because of leg problems but the old shovel is still looking like a million bucks. (1,415,078.00) NZ dollars.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MTO said:

Easy?

Like a crotch rocket.

You're obviously not a serious rider. The ape hanger, forward control easy chair HD while looking cool is actually not a  position for good control. Yes you can cruise the town like that but 30 minutes with the wind trying to tear you off the seat and the weight distribution all wrong will shortly convince you the conventional position is way better and for 100+ riding the "crotch" rocket is best.

I ride a Norton Commando. My rice rockets all sold as I became mortal with age. My first bike a 500 thumper BSA. The Commando has the classic look and great handling. It'll still do the "ton" but I'm more inclined to back road with some twist at 45-70. The Commando was the Harley Eater of the day. A Sportster might beat it in the straits but be left far behind in the curves. One of our mechanics said "take my new heritage soft tail for a ride". I ground the foot boards leaving the parking lot. He said that it's not for going around corners!

The Royal Enfield was a great performer back in the days before the Japs copied Brit bikes then improved upon them. The fact that they still exist, although the smaller versions, is a testament to the good design in the first place.

here's the interceptor I lusted after as a kid: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Enfield_Interceptor

10 minutes ago, New Englander said:

You're obviously not a serious rider. The ape hanger, forward control easy chair HD while looking cool is actually not a  position for good control. Yes you can cruise the town like that but 30 minutes with the wind trying to tear you off the seat and the weight distribution all wrong will shortly convince you the conventional position is way better and for 100+ riding the "crotch" rocket is best.

I ride a Norton Commando. My rice rockets all sold as I became mortal with age. My first bike a 500 thumper BSA. The Commando has the classic look and great handling. It'll still do the "ton" but I'm more inclined to back road with some twist at 45-70. The Commando was the Harley Eater of the day. A Sportster might beat it in the straits but be left far behind in the curves. One of our mechanics said "take my new heritage soft tail for a ride". I ground the foot boards leaving the parking lot. He said that it's not for going around corners!

The Royal Enfield was a great performer back in the days before the Japs copied Brit bikes then improved upon them. The fact that they still exist, although the smaller versions, is a testament to the good design in the first place.

here's the interceptor I lusted after as a kid: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Enfield_Interceptor

Excuse me for asking.

Just now, MTO said:

Excuse me for asking.

You didn't ask rather you disparaged the bike without knowing anything about it.

Really, no offense intended, perhaps you're very young or not a motorcycle enthusiast.

9 minutes ago, New Englander said:

You didn't ask rather you disparaged the bike without knowing anything about it.

Really, no offense intended, perhaps you're very young or not a motorcycle enthusiast.

Just said never heard of them and that didn't like design.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, New Englander said:

The brits sure had the looks, my gurl and her hubby both ride bonnies 2016 vintage, both 900 cc,

Ive ridden hers, comfy, your right about that the high bars are air grabbers on long trips i would strap my sleeping bag on the  headlight, coming home a few years ago I got thinking of a nice sized bar mount shield, never saw one i liked, went to my kids shop and asked the parts guy for a certain size, he said wait here, came back with exactly what I wanted, trips the wind right over my hat, weight is 10 ozs, compared to a 5 pound sleep bag.

8 hours ago, MTO said:

May be an image of motorcycle, outdoors and text that says 'ROYAL ENFIELD BE'Built in India! Think I`ll keep my T-DubMay be an image of motorcycle and outdoorsMay be an image of motorcycle and outdoors

They are indeed built in India. I was unfamiliar with their current existence, until I found a factory tour video on Ewetube some time ago. If I run across the video again, I'll post it. The factory production is pretty average. The part where the guy is hand striping the gas tanks really had my intrest. Wouldn't mind having one of those bikes, though, I think the bike that the hand striped tank goes to, only has a top speed of 50 MPH.

Mike

3 hours ago, hardtail said:

All over for Indian take 1 in 53

?  Although I realize it's not the original company, the current iteration of Indian seems to be doing very well under Polaris ownership.  Producing some darn fine bikes IMO.

• Like 1

I stopped at the Harley shop in Billings MT, they had more Enfields in the showroom than Harleys. Salesman said they were having a hard time getting Harleys, and got a years worth of Enfields, in one delivery. BK