Jump to content

1974 International TD-8E, looking for Info


Recommended Posts

Yes the filter in the battery box is the transmission pressure filter,sorry if I misled you,your machine looks better than mine,good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Koot Kraftsman said:

Of course, the one spot I did get to while cleaning underneath is the one pot I take a pic of... I must punish myself tomorrow whilst cleaning the strainer.  Silly question but what do you all use to drain the trans fluid into when you plan to filter and re-use it?  Will a 5 gallon bucket even fit under there?

I bought a 4 gallon low profile tub that I will lay beside and let fill about 3 gal at a time,empty rinse and repeat till she's dry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Drained the Hyd fluid and pulled the strainer from the bottom... the O-ring itself might still be useable but the rest of that seal was toast, the strainer itself was kinda hammered too, bad enough for me to put a new one in since I'm right here and not in too big a rush.  While down there I also noticed the 4" hose next to the strainer cover, connecting to the line that goes to the torque converter was bubbling and felt like soft jello so best to replace that now than lose all my fluid and burn up the trans in the middle of a push... not taking that chance for a $10 part so I'll obviously change that turd out too. I think the gasket/O-ring from the strainer cover was contributing to the leaking I have down there but I think the main culprit is the big main seal between the trans and the rear end.  Not sure which is leaking out though, trans HyTrans or gear oil... will get to the bottom of this soon but only to know which fluid to monitor harder since I'm sure not going to be changing that seal anytime soon ?.  Didn't look too bad in there either, a buch of crud in the filter and a little in the housing but no big metal chuncks so I'll take that as a W!  Put the cover back on and willl be making a call/trip to the dealer tomorrow for the parts and hopefully get her back on her feet.

 

IMG_4541.jpeg.0726dcfe57a56af2e33422a7f989c290.jpegIMG_4542.jpeg.f6aad101687161133f5c4dfb0dd7e6a5.jpegIMG_4543.jpeg.2e24277a4bf8d4861562d410a57f00a3.jpegIMG_4544.thumb.jpeg.b5a12011a09682eb79a596b41664955d.jpegIMG_4545.thumb.jpeg.d0d36f6344c943bd8899e421b289d8a4.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, I need some help here... I began my search this morning for these 3 parts and while some aftermarket places seem to be able to get the o-ring/seal, the strainer nor the short 4" hose comes up in anybody's system.  So I started looking for a dealer... I started with Case/IH dealers and started calling them, they gave me the "Ag vs. Construction" runaround and nobody had the parts in their system much less in-stock.  After today, I got fed up with them to the point where I will never buy a case machine... period, simply because across the board their customer service is garbage.  Then I remembered someone on here saying Komatsu was the place to go for IH parts so I called a few of those (even ones out of state) and got the same thing I did with Case.  I really like the machine but **** man, if I can't find parts to fix this old girl, then I better unload her while she's running good.  For those of you who own a TD-8E and have a good source for parts on both the service and repair side of things, PLEASE hook me up with some contact info.

For now, I suppose I will simply take the old hose up to my local implements guy and see if he can cut me off a 4" section of the right size hydraulic hose, repair and clean the old strainer best I can and re-use the old o-ring with some ultra black on the sealing surface.

Does everyone else have this problem with parts?  I seriously have been on the phone for hours calling dozens of places and they all act like "Hey Johnny, you ever heard of a company called International Harvester?" I mean Whisky Tango??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Case or IHC Ag never had anything to do with IHC Construction eq. parts or service so that will be a dead end except for a few crossover parts from the ag division.  IHC Const. became part of Dresser Ind. in 1982 and later Komatsu/Dresser, then Dresta but that has been a long time ago now.  At the top of this construction section is a list of possible venders.  You might start with FP Smith in California or General Gear in Boise, Id.  Doesn't surprise me that you got the deer in the head light look at the  CaseIH dealer, it has never been their bag.  O/Rings and hoses are generic, just match them up at a hyd. or hose shop.  The TD8's were great machines in their day.  Good luck

Dennis 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, hector gemme said:

The oring parts number is 285 253 r1  5 1/2 x 5 3/4 x 1/8 and the streaner  is 622 255 c1 and should have the streaner but not sure for the oring

Hector, I've got two o-rings coming, are you saying you have a strainer you'd sell me? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hector gemme said:

Yes but make sure tomorrow if he still on racking and comback to you

Didn't understand this post, send me a message tomorrow if you have one ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

English is Hector's second language but it is still a heck of a lot better than my French!  He is a great guy to deal with.  He will check to see if he still has it and get back with you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/8/2021 at 2:17 PM, Koot Kraftsman said:

Ok, I need some help here... I began my search this morning for these 3 parts and while some aftermarket places seem to be able to get the o-ring/seal, the strainer nor the short 4" hose comes up in anybody's system.  So I started looking for a dealer... I started with Case/IH dealers and started calling them, they gave me the "Ag vs. Construction" runaround and nobody had the parts in their system much less in-stock.  After today, I got fed up with them to the point where I will never buy a case machine... period, simply because across the board their customer service is garbage.  Then I remembered someone on here saying Komatsu was the place to go for IH parts so I called a few of those (even ones out of state) and got the same thing I did with Case.  I really like the machine but **** man, if I can't find parts to fix this old girl, then I better unload her while she's running good.  For those of you who own a TD-8E and have a good source for parts on both the service and repair side of things, PLEASE hook me up with some contact info.

For now, I suppose I will simply take the old hose up to my local implements guy and see if he can cut me off a 4" section of the right size hydraulic hose, repair and clean the old strainer best I can and re-use the old o-ring with some ultra black on the sealing surface.

Does everyone else have this problem with parts?  I seriously have been on the phone for hours calling dozens of places and they all act like "Hey Johnny, you ever heard of a company called International Harvester?" I mean Whisky Tango??

IH construction equipment and parts problems go hand in hand. I certainly wouldn’t want to discourage anyone from owning an IH, but you can’t just go down to the local IH payline dealer and get what you need anymore. The parts and solutions are out there, but it usually takes some time and effort and possibly a conversion of some kind. The local Komatsu dealer here is well aware of IH dozers and they will still work on them, but they are very up front about their ability or lack thereof to source parts. Your experience at the modern corporate dealerships sounds pretty standard. When you were on the phone asking about an o ring for some obsolete dozer there was probably some guy at the counter who wanted some parts for his quad track. I see guys come to the local dealers who only come in once or twice a year and want parts for an H or M and some parts guys just act like they are clogging up the system. If you don’t have a six figure parts bill every year some places just won’t take the time. 
 

A lot of people younger than 40 probably have no idea what brands of equipment built this country. It certainly wasn’t all CAT machinery. Deere didn’t have a dozer big enough to move much dirt until relatively recently. I don’t think there was any Komatsu machines around decades ago either. IH, Allis, Euclid, among others, all lost to history. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ALL of that is SO true unfortunately.  I've never owned or operated a newer piece of equipment and therefor have never had a pleasant experience at a dealer counter. Massey, Oliver, Allis... heck even my Deere and Kubota equipment is so old the only place I can find parts for it all is at salvage yards.  I've got a few yards on speed dial and they are working with me on parts for a couple other project machines I'm working on.  I was just hoping, since this is the first piece of IH equipment, that there might be better parts support for the older machines (I knew better than to get my hopes up haha).  That idea is gone now... like a fart in the wind.  Heading down to my local old school parts/repair shop today to dig around out back and see if I can't come up with a fix.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These folks are knowledgeable on the construction side , I have used them and can vouch for them , https://www.winmillequipment.net/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Kevin, I'll check them out!  May need them in the future.  I'm definitely filling the ol' rolodex a little more with parts possibilities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't write Hector off from above. Many have had good things to say about him with Cat and AC parts as well as IH. There is a factor with English not being his first language.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hector said he found the filter and to email him. He has his email on his last post. I have a friend who got some Allis parts from Hector. He had good luck, but Hector wanted to do business by email because of the language barrier.

DWF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My local Case-IH dealer had the strainer o-ring 285253R1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ray54 said:

Don't write Hector off from above. Many have had good things to say about him with Cat and AC parts as well as IH. There is a factor with English not being his first language.

I haven't written him off, we have been in communication through email.  Like someone else eluded to... His English is way better than my French lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/8/2021 at 3:57 PM, farmalldr said:

O/Rings and hoses are generic, just match them up at a hyd. or hose shop. 

Everyone with a shop should have a Parker O-ring manual free pdf on line. It includes the precision dimensions of the glands they fit in used in various applications.

I have come to terms with fixing parts a making parts, tools whatever I need, when possible. It is often quicker than searching. You sound pretty proficient to me, you'll do fine, just try not to break it.

Good Luck!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...