Flood Damage

Sorry to hear.  It looks really sandy.  Is that sand in the soil profile or from the flooding?   What caused the big pot hole?

• Thanks 1

How much rain did you end up with? We got 10" last week spread over about 3 or 4 days. It washed stuff out, but it wasn't too bad since it had been so dry it soaked a lot of it up, but we still have a lot of standing water and the river is well over it's banks. I spent all week trying to fix the gravel roads that got beat up from 4 days of rain with cars hammering them. Did you have crops planted in those flooded fields?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RBootsMI said:

How much rain did you end up with? We got 10" last week spread over about 3 or 4 days. It washed stuff out, but it wasn't too bad since it had been so dry it soaked a lot of it up, but we still have a lot of standing water and the river is well over it's banks. I spent all week trying to fix the gravel roads that got beat up from 4 days of rain with cars hammering them. Did you have crops planted in those flooded fields?

between 10/12 inches here depending on the area within 15 miles or so

1 hour ago, Missouri Mule said:

Strange pot hole. Never seen the river wash like that. What river are you along there? 

the grindstone creek, runs north out of cameron mo, hits the grand river at pattonsburg, pattonsburg used to flood so bad as a kid they moved the entire town now 

8 hours ago, Wes806 said:

Sorry that you have that much damage.  Is that field a total loss?  

about 60 to 70 percent i would say - will be doing some replanting for sure

1 hour ago, hobbyfarm said:

Sorry to hear.  It looks really sandy.  Is that sand in the soil profile or from the flooding?   What caused the big pot hole?

we have never had that happen in all our years here and all the floods regarding the hole, the water rolled across the adjacent field, created a wave it appears and where the wave was created from crossing the road ditch the wave ate into the road. 

there is a of sand in the soil in spots where it washes and leaves bars from deposits from the creek, also sand in the soil to some degree oddly enough, kind of uncommon around here other than these creek areas, lots of clay and little topsoil - great for gardening with the sandy stuff as it doesnt clump and things sprout easily

- thanks for the kinds words everyone, we havent had this bad of a flood in a lot of years. We looked for arrowheads and only found pieces, used to be native americans on our ground and up stream just a bit is where they wintered. We find stuff off/on when it floods, my sister told some guy she works with he could go hunt and he went down and brought someone with him ( I found all his tracks )  right as the water receded so none of the family got to go look.  He wont be coming back because our family wants to do the hunting. 

18 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

grindstone creek, runs north out of cameron mo, hits the grand river at pattonsburg,

We lived in Cameron when I was a kid in the sixties. I remember horsing around in Grindstone with my buddies.  I guess your part of it is east of Weatherby?  

• Like 1

Yes it is 2 miles east then north on county line or now renamed santa rosa rd due to 911 addressing - the tornado got us in 04 if u heard about that

7 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

the tornado got us in 04 if u heard about that

I did.  I guess that's the same storm that sent one through Albany.  My mom and step dad got trapped in their crawl space in that one.  The a.c compressor blew up against the crawl space door and blocked them in.  A neighbor heard them hollering and moved it so they could get out.

17 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

I did.  I guess that's the same storm that sent one through Albany.  My mom and step dad got trapped in their crawl space in that one.  The a.c compressor blew up against the crawl space door and blocked them in.  A neighbor heard them hollering and moved it so they could get out.

Oh my - glad ur family was ok - killed 3 of our neighbors - mom n dad survived in our basement and got trapped in by big round bales - fire dept got them out - Yes it is started down around kc ks 

Wow! 
sorry about your neighbors and your flood damage. 
looks like you also found the “lady of the lake” there… did she bestow a sword upon you like King Arthur? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Wow! 
sorry about your neighbors and your flood damage. 
looks like you also found the “lady of the lake” there… did she bestow a sword upon you like King Arthur? 

no we just stared at it in wonder and trying to understand the lesson - i am so thankful to have her to face these things 

I heard there was a lot of rain up your way, the Missouri was banked full north of me. we lucked out and had a nice 2 1/2" rain, i have been in your shoes and it is no fun, hoping you can get it leveled out and replanted.

• Thanks 1

You got too much, we got too little. My rain gauge shows 3.5 inches since Jan. 1.

• Sad 2

On 7/4/2021 at 8:17 AM, RBootsMI said:

in the neighborhood of your 10" more or less  in some areas - yes we had beans planted and id say about 50% are gone

On 7/4/2021 at 8:59 AM, Rawleigh99 said:

Wow, need to break out the moldboard plow this Fall.

that is the plan - i have a 2 point 3 bottom for the 706

6 hours ago, cobfly said:

You got too much, we got too little. My rain gauge shows 3.5 inches since Jan. 1.

boy i wish we could have sent you some - i hope you get some sooner than later 

15 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

boy i wish we could have sent you some - i hope you get some sooner than later 

Too bad we couldn't share.

• Like 1