Jump to content

Brown & Sharp


Recommended Posts

Looked at this surface grinder today. It’s a No.2 according to the casting on the front. I’m curious if anyone knows these machines or has experience with them?  It’s not large. The man was a knife maker. They priced it to me but I feel like that price was high. Any insight?  Magnetic chuck. It was a very full, small space if you can’t tell. Bought a few small things I could use. It was in working order, single phase

5DEFE55C-79F7-420B-9A70-ABA558C1C578.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well known and well respected if I remember correctly, my dad had a friend who was a machinist, i seem to remember him talking highly of B&S.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know nothing about that machine but I have some brown and sharp measuring tools, mics, calipers, etc. They are excellent quality. Thx-Ace 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, vtfireman85 said:

Well known and well respected if I remember correctly, my dad had a friend who was a machinist, i seem to remember him talking highly of B&S.

I agree the brand is well thought of from what I know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have no idea what they are worth. They were a top of the line brand when I graduated from highschool machine technology class . Condition maybe the biggest driving factor in the value

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That one probably would command a good price just because it is single phase and appears in great shape..............the chuck appears pretty thick in the "Hollywood" shot, surface grinders used alot the chucks are ground alot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

That one probably would command a good price just because it is single phase and appears in great shape..............the chuck appears pretty thick in the "Hollywood" shot, surface grinders used alot the chucks are ground alot.

The chuck is clean on top and hasn’t been ground into. Probably 4-5” thick?? I dont know what a “good price” is for one. Probably regional like tractors

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sledgehammer said:

The chuck is clean on top and hasn’t been ground into. Probably 5” thick?? 

No, it won't be ground into.............You actually take the machine wheel and grind the chuck flat again after using it in a shop as just the parts moving on it and get clamped to it, the accuracy will suffer.  Machines with alot of use over the years the chuck will be thinner than a machine that isn't used much at all.  Granted you don't take much off, but it adds up over years and years.  I worked in a shop where we ground chucks quite often because the surface grinder was used hard............other shops it was never used and I didn't or didn't see the chuck ground the entire time I was employed there.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brand I never heard of, similar size for sale in cedar rapids for $1750. No idea if that is going rate or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Looked at this surface grinder today. It’s a No.2 according to the casting on the front. I’m curious if anyone knows these machines or has experience with them?  It’s not large. The man was a knife maker. They priced it to me but I feel like that price was high. Any insight?  Magnetic chuck. It was a very full, small space if you can’t tell. Bought a few small things I could use. It was in working order, single phase

5DEFE55C-79F7-420B-9A70-ABA558C1C578.jpeg

Those were made here in the arm pit

B&S made it from scratch they had their own foundry you pass by the building it was made in on I-95 in Providence its still there.

Picture of the complex in Providence below B&S made machine tools and measuring tools. 

Those were made until the late 40's  it's all hand scraped plain ways and a hand scraped plain spindle.

Keep the oil cups filled with way oil and it will run for another 70 years.

When I started working at the cutter tool plant in North Providence we still had some of those on the floor for sharping form tools. 

The later grinders the Mircomaster were a step forward they changed from a stacked stage table to a moving column cross feed design this allowed much heaver grids to be done.  

A piece of history there B&S made machine tools up to the late 90's was the oldest listed company on the NY stock exchange when they sold out in 2001, 167 years.

Currently part of Hexagon AB we make industrial inspection robots now.   

 

image.jpeg.fbeaf5f30702ad1494dd2515424d1e49.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whether it be a surface grinder or any other machine, true value  of the machine is the amount of TOOLING that comes with it. You can probably find a bare unit cheaper, but all the peripheral nick-nacks add up to what you would pay for a well-equipped one. Magnetic chuck is a pretty  important accessory. Call a machine tool supplier price a new chuck to get an idea of your options.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Always wanted one, too. That one looks nice and simple. Single phase is nice but phase-o-matic converter isn’t a big deal on simple no electronic stuff either. I picked up a REID this spring for cheap. It needs work but has a chuck and a ton of stones with it so I took a chance. It’s a beast, 3600# range. Lot of wires hanging out of places and has other problems. Good luck with your search. 
 

7B5CCBCE-4C33-4A9F-999F-AACB61E66D9C.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, NY1468 said:

Always wanted one, too. That one looks nice and simple. Single phase is nice but phase-o-matic converter isn’t a big deal on simple no electronic stuff either. I picked up a REID this spring for cheap. It needs work but has a chuck and a ton of stones with it so I took a chance. It’s a beast, 3600# range. Lot of wires hanging out of places and has other problems. Good luck with your search. 
 

7B5CCBCE-4C33-4A9F-999F-AACB61E66D9C.jpeg

That is about the size of mine too.  I have a flex joint in a very inaccessible area going bad on mine that I need to change.  It is located behind the motor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, NY1468 said:

Always wanted one, too. That one looks nice and simple. Single phase is nice but phase-o-matic converter isn’t a big deal on simple no electronic stuff either. I picked up a REID this spring for cheap. It needs work but has a chuck and a ton of stones with it so I took a chance. It’s a beast, 3600# range. Lot of wires hanging out of places and has other problems. Good luck with your search. 
 

7B5CCBCE-4C33-4A9F-999F-AACB61E66D9C.jpeg

Are you TRYING to compete with me for the ugliest/more difficult project award?????

If so you have a LONNNNNG ways to go.....

 

I do envy your shop and tooling!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jeeper61 said:

Those were made here in the arm pit

B&S made it from scratch they had their own foundry you pass by the building it was made in on I-95 in Providence its still there.

Picture of the complex in Providence below B&S made machine tools and measuring tools. 

Those were made until the late 40's  it's all hand scraped plain ways and a hand scraped plain spindle.

Keep the oil cups filled with way oil and it will run for another 70 years.

When I started working at the cutter tool plant in North Providence we still had some of those on the floor for sharping form tools. 

The later grinders the Mircomaster were a step forward they changed from a stacked stage table to a moving column cross feed design this allowed much heaver grids to be done.  

A piece of history there B&S made machine tools up to the late 90's was the oldest listed company on the NY stock exchange when they sold out in 2001, 167 years.

Currently part of Hexagon AB we make industrial inspection robots now.   

 

image.jpeg.fbeaf5f30702ad1494dd2515424d1e49.jpeg

I’m pretty sure my grandfather said he worked for Them back either right before WII or right after. Then he started farming and now where his first farm was is the Emerald  Mall. I still have some family around the area 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

That is about the size of mine too.  I have a flex joint in a very inaccessible area going bad on mine that I need to change.  It is located behind the motor.

Probably what’s wrong with this one, the spindle up and down doesn’t work. It’s either that or a pin or key sheared. 

 

10 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Are you TRYING to compete with me for the ugliest/more difficult project award?????

If so you have a LONNNNNG ways to go.....

 

I do envy your shop and tooling!

Jeff, it isn’t pretty but is out of the weather. My shop is ugly and so are most of its inhabitants…..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Looked at this surface grinder today. It’s a No.2 according to the casting on the front. I’m curious if anyone knows these machines or has experience with them?  It’s not large. The man was a knife maker. They priced it to me but I feel like that price was high. Any insight?  Magnetic chuck. It was a very full, small space if you can’t tell. Bought a few small things I could use. It was in working order, single phase

5DEFE55C-79F7-420B-9A70-ABA558C1C578.jpeg

Not sure what they are but my younger brother has a couple of surface grinders. That came out of a machine shop not far from the brown and sharp factory. He’s the machinist  he runs his 3 phase stuff off a phase converter. Some of his bigger lathes he hasn’t run. We don’t have enough electricity for a bigger phase converter. It takes him forever to do something he’s alway doing something more important but he will machine parts for us now and then 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, forwhldrv said:

I’m pretty sure my grandfather said he worked for Them back either right before WII or right after. Then he started farming and now where his first farm was is the Emerald  Mall. I still have some family around the area 

I lived in Cumberland, RI at one time not far from Emerald Mall

There used to be a lot of orchards and small farms in the area most have gone to housing developments for the folks who commute into Boston 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, supermechanic said:

I have one in my shop, it works well for chipper knives.

 Paid 500 for it years ago.

Yes that would be the main use most would have is sharping flat form relief tools.

I used to make the milling cutters for cutting the Oster clipper blades now most of that is done with wire EDM.

If you really need to sharpen cutters and grind round shafts etc. you need a universal grinder the head swivels and there is motorized head stock to spin the part

These type grinders are more handy than a surface grinder 

  Brown & Sharpe No. 13, Universal Tool Grinding Machine, Operations  Maintenance Parts and Attachments Manual: Brown & Sharpe: Amazon.com: Books

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

I lived in Cumberland, RI at one time not far from Emerald Mall

There used to be a lot of orchards and small farms in the area most have gone to housing developments for the folks who commute into Boston 

My mother’s uncle and great aunt had a farm in Cumberland RI he had no children I think their place all went to the church when they died. They got real big into the church and it’s Sherman’s being in Latin I think it was because that was the original language of the catholic religion I think. It was to bad it was a beautiful place they had 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...