Mathematician needed for winch choice

Sresites

I get 3,327 lbs of force needed using this equation:

image.thumb.png.8526fd9f3c9fa214c4379eaba22429c1.png

In your case, the gravity force is 16,000 lbs, and you multiply than by the sin of 12 degrees, which is 0.2079

Since 'free rolling' isn't truly zero fiction, you'll need a little more.  This formula is assuming no extra work to overcome friction.

That being said, I agree wit VT, buy the biggest winch you can afford.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16,000 lbs on wheels should require much less than 16,000 lbs of force to pull up the ramp but things like a small bump at the ramp can drastically increase the force needed. I would suggest getting the largest 12 volt winch available ( 12000 lbs I think ) and you may still need a snatch block to double the force. 

Lets say 3000 lb come-along with snatch block effectively loads a 9,000 lb truck but kicks my ass in the doing so…. I have a 10k on my jeep, if i were buying a winch for trailer loading it would not be smaller than that. 

• Like 1

just did  10K of dead fighting weight,  on 10k winch

took double blocking of truck ,twin batteries,twin blocks,1 -2 wraps adjustment,sliding planks for ramps and 8k of push

anything round,or not fighting should be easy.

Let’s look at it this way.  To move that 16,000 lbs on a 0* angle will take minimal force.  To move that 16,000 at a 90* angle would take 16,000 lbs of force.  So a 12* slope is slightly less than a 25% angle.  25% of 16,000 is 4,000.  Use a safety and overkill factor of 3 like Working Load Limit uses and I would say a 12,000 lb winch should do the job.  Minimum anyway.  

7 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Let’s look at it this way.  To move that 16,000 lbs on a 0* angle will take minimal force.  To move that 16,000 at a 90* angle would take 16,000 lbs of force.  So a 12* slope is slightly less than a 25% angle.  25% of 16,000 is 4,000.  Use a safety and overkill factor of 3 like Working Load Limit uses and I would say a 12,000 lb winch should do the job.  Minimum anyway.  

That sure made easy math out of it!! 
Like Seth said- go bigger than you think you need! You won’t regret it

The harbor freight 12000 lb winch gets good reviews.  There is a 10% off of anything coupon out there this weekend only. A lot of times their regular coupons don't apply to their high-end brands.  You can get the basic 12,000 lb winch with steel cable for $300 right now.  With a synthetic line, remote control and fancy hook it cost more.

https://www.harborfreight.com/?utm_source=2621_4thofJuly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2621_4thofJuly&uid=972e41bca21609e9357279f2ee67ef8d5f87035fa74b026de5079160997497bd&infy=13829525&bxid=13829525&mi_u=13,829,525&mi_ecmp=2021_07_03_wk2621_4th_of_July_REM1_Engaged&plcc=N

https://www.harborfreight.com/merchandising-promotions/hot-buys/zxr-12000-lb-winch-with-wire-rope-63770.html

Choose the next size bigger then you think you need . 

Posted ratings on motors and wenches don’t mean what they once did. Your wasting your money on most of the junk I have seen lately. Stay away from discount tool stores and Walmart China crap,  it’s rediculasly poor quality. 

2 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Choose the next size bigger then you think you need . 

Posted ratings on motors and wenches don’t mean what they once did. Your wasting your money on most of the junk I have seen lately. Stay away from discount tool stores and Walmart China crap,  it’s rediculasly poor quality. 

thats why I went with the (china) warn for $250 more,time will tell,but paid for its self so far.

100' cable is way too short but 5x too long for  tough pulls

Ive got a champion 12000 lb winch I have pulled a 5288 up on my light gooseneck trailer. It did the job but I needed more battery than just running heavy duty  jumper cables from pickup battery to trailer. It was just a single battery also

My jeep winch is a “Superwinch” if you are leaving it in the trailer you should get a cover, I went with an inexpensive neoprene cover. 5-6 years later the cover is faded, but the winch looks brand new. Has a wireless remote that also can be plugged in . 

There are a lot of choices out there, my choice was warn, made in Oregon I believe a decent warranty and a multitude of ways to hook it up, going by your post you are using a trailer so you would probably be doing an install yourself, I went with the portable so it will mount front or back, the power cables mount for the front hookup and 20’ cables run to the back, I put a switch and solenoid to transfer power either way, vt suggested a cover I do too, dust and road grime are kept out, mine has a 12’ cable I just don’t trust wireless, my camper legs have cable control also, same reasoning, with this and an 18,000# snatch block I figure I’m good for anything and I have not needed it other than small stuff but loaded I run at 13,000# and I know this works, it can also be transferred to my Jeep and operated from there with the separate wiring hooked in there, the cost involved has run over 5 grand but that is a one time buy and should last a lifetime, just my thoughts.

95E1A8A2-A120-4285-8C67-40F67B7E24A8.jpeg

I purchased a 12v 18,000 lb winch for my tilt-bed trailer.  It will pull anything onto the trailer.  It cost me about $500 from a distributor in Santa Ana, Calif.  Made in Chinaaa (pronounced Chinay) and it is still working after 8 years with no problems.  It came with a snatch block for 2 parting the line.

On 7/3/2021 at 11:38 PM, Gearclash said:

That's a decent approximation.

Its not linear though. It's sinusoidal.

• Like 1

Rule of thumb for off-roading is 1.5 times the static weight of your vehicle if I remember right. Cant go wrong with a Warn. Not the cheapest but it is the best in my opinion. I have had other brands also. Others are gone, Warn is still here and on my Scout. This is its 3rd vehicle. 

• Like 1