1066 alternator

TroyDairy

The 1066 keep not charging.  Year old alt, year old battery all with maybe 300hr on it.

Move irrigation 3 4 days and battery is dead dead.  I don't see the OEM regulator hiding anywhere so that no issue.  It this wiring correct?  Dont have a OEM to compare too.

20210703_142344.jpg

Looks to be wrong alternator to me. That style requires a voltage regulator.....

Humm.... well i believe yall are rt.  There isnt a reg is there!?  Duh

I don't see one anywhere.  Man..these hesvy tin hoods etc sure irk me.  If i could make a tilt hood kit for a 1066 i would be rich

That is a Delco alternator that requires an external regulator. 

The Delco 10si is the correct alternator. You can get one at any parts store. A typical lookup at your Napa would be a 1974 international scout with 304. Chose with ac if your tractor has a cab with working ac.

Below is a pic of the correct alternator.

Thx-Ace 

delcor2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, snoshoe said:

66 series could have either alternator. If that is the right one. Regulator should be in kick panel.

If I had to guess by the wires/wire ends on the alternator itself, I would say the wrong alternator was installed and the external regulator long ago was thrown in the jing weeds.  Don't know if that is fact or not, just a hunch from what I see in the picture.

The wiring in the picture has been modified and is for an internal regulator. Notice the wire coming from the output stud to the R terminal? 

This wiring has been jacked with. You need to verify it.

Thx-Ace 

Ok

When i sent dad in to get the new one last summer I am sure he simply said 1974 1066.  We guess 74 by serial #.  As Ace showed me the pic i kinda recall thats what the original alt looked like.  

I will pull kick panel.  Its the only panel we didnt...?  Just to verify there is no reg.  But the more you guys got me thinking....

THANKS 

• 5 weeks later...
12 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Fyi.... the 10si was the remedy!

Appreciate it

Excellent! For what it's worth you can put a one wire regulator in any 10si or 12si. Great for tractor use, just need to rev once into self energizing RPM and good to go.  Buy them brand new 105 amp on Ebay for $70, free shipping. Change pulley if needed , use impact wrench to get nut off.

I also add a battery cutoff as they can slowly pull a battery down if it is a limited use tractor.  It is a good idea to have one anyway.  This is what I use.  Excellent quality waterproof marine cutoff by Blue Seas.  I find that mounting them under the step or deck plate where you can reach them from the ground works well.  I usually surface mount them, but you can also flush mount if you want.  Much better quality than the battery mount ones.  They have higher amp ones as well, but this one is rated up to 300 amps.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/blue-sea-systems-mini-battery-switch.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw0qOIBhBhEiwAyvVcf6WbkSQ2QB622Dakl4q9vuHCi2oEIqmJXXDc-zZtQY6guydEGxhwXxoCMAsQAvD_BwE

4 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

I also add a battery cutoff as they can slowly pull a battery down if it is a limited use tractor.  It is a good idea to have one anyway.  This is what I use.  Excellent quality waterproof marine cutoff by Blue Seas.  I find that mounting them under the step or deck plate where you can reach them from the ground works well.  I usually surface mount them, but you can also flush mount if you want.  Much better quality than the battery mount ones.  They have higher amp ones as well, but this one is rated up to 300 amps.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/blue-sea-systems-mini-battery-switch.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw0qOIBhBhEiwAyvVcf6WbkSQ2QB622Dakl4q9vuHCi2oEIqmJXXDc-zZtQY6guydEGxhwXxoCMAsQAvD_BwE

Marine switches are way better than the Cole Hersee switches for sure.